Customer Service 866.965.0400

Touch Up Paint

SS LeadFoot

Question

Didn't really know where to post this. I am thinking of doing some touch up paint on a few spots. Not sure how I want to tackle it yet. Dr Color chip seems very easy with good results. Then there is the harder way. Sanding it down and carefully applying paint and clear then sanding then polishing. Has anyone here had any luck with doing touch up paint and how did you do it? Here are the chips I am trying to fix. The big one is on the hood. The little ones are on the side mirror. 

Hood.jpg

Mirror.jpg

8 answers to this question

I have both Langka and Dr Chipcolor on my Vette.  For the mirrors Dr Chipcolor with a squeegy kit works fairly well assuming your not going after each of the rash individual.  That first chip I'd probably get a chip sanding pen. Then use Langka with a painting pen.  It builds up way better than chipcolor.  Here is the rash on my Z06.    Here is it before, after applicating and after.  I was able to do a final polish with a white pad after 30 days.  I read that earlier than that it can pull out.

rash2.jpg

after.jpg

fix mid passenger.jpg

Here is that same section after 30 days, light polish, adams ceremic and new vent and emblem.  I wanted to lose the emblem but it was a bit too noticable.  GXPaycheck is right the DR chip color is a different kind of paint for sure.  and the fine paint pins are pretty awesome but the vet had so much rash I didn't have ANOTHER 100 hours to put into it :)  I posted langka results 3rd pic.  5 minutes of really light prep with sanding pic.  Clean with alcohol and fill just twice two BIG white chips.  It could be way better but too much on car to spend more time.

before.jpg

after cerm.jpg

20200419_090319.jpg

Edited by 06Z06DSOM

It did a great job! better than anticipated. Here are some pics. You can still see the huge chip in the hood but you have to really look for it. It was hard to get on camera lol. Super happy with the end result. Most chips required only 1 application. The one on the hood was so deep it required about 10.

Hood (2).jpg

Hood (1).jpg