Customer Service 866.965.0400

Clay Mitt Lifespan

Bscott94

Question

When the mitt starts to stick, does that mean it’s life is over? I was using plenty of DS and the mitt was rinsed before I started on the bumper. I did the back sides of the quarters and the bumper and it kept grabbing on the bumper and leaving marks. 

E9059B06-6F5B-4B56-B18F-DEC880EDE048.jpeg

79CE765D-0A26-47E0-BF4B-BE775374DC9E.jpeg

9 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Chris@Adams said:

Another thing sometimes the bumper covers if they haven’t been clayed and polished for a while they can be kinda grabby for lack of better words. Does the Clay mitt do the same on the metal parts of the car?

It think it was grabbing a little on the quarter panel. It was definitely the worst on the bumper. I'll do a little testing this evening. I hope it's not dead because I've only used it on a few cars. I'm going to be polishing so it's not a big deal but I want to know if I need to throw this mitt away or not. 

I've had that happen once and it felt rough on my hand so I did a baggy test.  The baggy test also made it feel like I was running it across sandpaper.  It turned out the vehicle had tree sap all over it and it took a couple of strip washed and a little elbow grease to get it off.  There was nothing with my mitt, it was purely the vehicle that needed extra work.

I too, had the marks happen once,  it was my first experience with the mitt, and I wasn’t using enough lube.  
Not saying you aren’t, but my thought process is, that maybe on those curvy roundy edges the lube is running off,and there isn’t quite enough surface area for the mitt to slide

Also maybe try iron remover first, to get the bad stuff off easier

In addition,  I believe the mitts are good for 20-30 cars,  and the stickiness will go away when it is done for 

Edited by Nickfire20

10 hours ago, Nickfire20 said:

I too, had the marks happen once,  it was my first experience with the mitt, and I wasn’t using enough lube.  
Not saying you aren’t, but my thought process is, that maybe on those curvy roundy edges the lube is running off,and there isn’t quite enough surface area for the mitt to slide

Also maybe try iron remover first, to get the bad stuff off easier

In addition,  I believe the mitts are good for 20-30 cars,  and the stickiness will go away when it is done for 

I've never seen iron remover do this much. I don't think this car has ever been detailed. It looks like it's been washed with a wire brush. 

IMG_9463.thumb.JPEG.75a66084a63cbdf1a32c9b2537b2187b.JPEG

This is a great discussion. I'm stripping/claying my SUV this weekend. It spends most of the time in the garage and is not exposed to much in the way of harsh environments so I plan to use a fine claybar. I do have a mitt also so I'll probably use that at a later date for my wife's car.