Customer Service 866.965.0400

Satin Chrome Stain Removal

Joe Gariepy

Question

I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit that came with some of the chrome trim as a satin chrome trim.  It seems to stain horribly and I have tried lots of cleaning products that have no affect on this stain (picture attached).  You guys did a great job on my black 2003 911 you used as a demo a couple of years back at a Porsche Club event you must have a product that takes out these stains.

IMG_3182.JPG

5 answers to this question

Joe, do you know what the stains are from? With the trim being satin you'll want to be careful what you put on it that you don't end up polishing it to leave more of a gloss appearance.

A few of our products I'd try first are:

Any of the three clays; Fine, Medium or Visco

TAR, Tar & Adhesive Remover

Brilliant Glaze, specifically the solvent that separates to the top when it sits for a while

Bug Remover, work this in small areas out of the sun, and don't let it dry. Thoroughly rinse it off as you go

Depending what the stains are from you may even want to try Iron Remover

Hope this helps.

Edited by BRZN

Thanks....I tried bug remover, chrome polish, vinegar and various cleaners and nothing seems to work.   I suspect these are stains from the Mag-Chloride used on the roads here in Colorado as I drive alot in the mountains during the winter.   The glossy chrome parts of the Jeep have no stains...only this brushed chrome. 

I've found our Hand Polish works great on regular chrome to remove those mag chloride stains but I'd be very careful in satin finish, if I'd even use it at all. Try the Iron Remover, that may break it down enough to allow other things to work.

Where are you in CO?

I am in Sterling Ranch, south of 470.  My 911 was used at your facility north of Denver but I am probably closer to your Centennial location.   I will get some of the iron remover, I still have lots of stuff left from the large bucket of stuff I bought at the demo but iron remover was not one of the items.  I even used SOS (lightly) with no effect....it has to be something chemical that will leach out the stains.  The fact they are orange-ish in color makes me think iron or some sort of chemical intrusion on the chrome.   If I do manage to get this out what kind of polish or sealer should I consider to apply afterwards?

I'm just down the road in the Springs, so may see you at the HQ sometime. 

We don't have a Centennial store, at least not that I know of, just Thornton. Is that what you meant?

For protection, ceramic coating would be your longest lasting option and my recommendation.