Customer Service 866.965.0400

Another Classic Rehabbed

RayS

I posted the emblem a few days ago and have now completed the majority of the 1972 Datsun 240z.  The manufacture date was November 1971 and it was a bit rough to begin with.  This was the first picture once it was put in my garage and there was no doubt it was going to a bit of work to get it to an acceptable condition.  I knew going into it that there were some scratches that were not going to come out and a few other flaws that could only be solved with a repaint.  Overall, the goal was to clean it up for the owner and make it presentable so it could be put up for sale.  

IMG_0670.JPG

The oxidation of the paint and many years of sitting in garage left me little doubt that it was going to be nasty details.  After the strip was, APC touch ups, a few more APC touch ups, I finally found the vehicle underneath the gunk.  To be honest, I didn't think it looked to bad once the crud was off from it. 

IMG_0672.JPG

As the wife reminds me of often, I've been wrong before and this was no exception.  I did a small test area and decided that with the age and known flaws, I didn't want to go too aggressive, so I went with a Orange pad and Correcting Polish.  I knew I could get more aggressive if needed, but was more concerned about not doing any additional harm.   After all the washing, this is how the first came looked after doing the hood. 

IMG_0674.JPG

Needless to say, I went through a few pads today and that is why it nice to a good inventory on hand.  Normally, I plan on 3 or 4 pads for a vehicle and as small as this one is, I was pretty sure 2 pads were going to be plenty, 6 pads later...   The Orange pads did was I wanted to them to and once I completed with the 240z with the Correcting Polish and Orange pads, I did only use 2 White pads with the Finishing Polish.

IMG_0677.JPG

I had a few spots where some additional touch ups were needed so I finally got to try the new Scratch and Swirl Remover, https://adamspolishes.com/collections/exterior-polishing-liquids/products/adams-scratch-swirl-remover and it worked exceptionally well, so I also tried the new Hand Polish https://adamspolishes.com/collections/exterior-polishing-liquids/products/adam-s-revive-fine-hand-car-polish and given how much I loved Revive Hand Polish, I must say I'm real happy with the new formula.

Once the vehicle was completed, I went over it with Surface Prep to get everything off and then put down Ceramic Paste Wax on it.  While I considered doing a Ceramic Coating, I didn't think it would add to the resale value.  The owner is very happy with the results so far and hopefully the weather is be more cooperative on Friday so I get it outside and go over the tires with tire shine to get them up to the level of the rest of the vehicle.

IMG_0680.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

Edited by RayS

• 3 weeks later...