Customer Service 866.965.0400

Overspray removal

Eswear

Question

I searched and found some posts with some ideas but the ones I tried didn’t work. Im doing a car for a friend and they painted some patio furniture and got overspray on a good portion of it. The paint is not is great shape so it’s not coming off all the way unless I wet sand it but I don’t think they’ll want to pay me for that lol. I’ve tried claying it with no luck, I also tried some acetone in a small non noticeable spot and it still didn’t come off. The pic I uploaded was a part I did with the orange pad and spray able compound. It looks good but you can still see some overspray. Any suggestions? I’m going to call the friend and let them know that realistically this won’t come all the way off. 

C082B2B2-5D10-4EE4-89C1-58C17E48B942.jpeg

12 answers to this question

I recently used TAR and a plastic razor blade (still very carefully). Sometimes it took a couple of applications, but it worked well for me. No telling if it was the same kind of paint, though.

The hood was the worst part, I spent like 2 hours claying it. 

1 hour ago, Bryanl said:

Try a few times with Clay Bar with detail Spray as Lube

Claying is the safest way.  But you may need to get more aggressive clay or a more aggressive clay towel or mitt.  Overspray is a time consuming process.

10 hours ago, BRZN said:

2 hours claying the hood? 15 minutes with 2500 grit wet sanding and it would be gone.

I would have if I felt more comfortable doing it. I haven’t done any wet sanding so I didn’t want to risk it. 

I learned my way around wet sanding helping my brother paint cars, it is rather easy once you get the hang of it, but it still makes me uncomfortable.  I tend to stick with clay, lube and plastic razor blades.   One other thing that helps is to whine during the process and have some wine afterwards.

On 5/7/2020 at 6:55 PM, RayS said:

I learned my way around wet sanding helping my brother paint cars, it is rather easy once you get the hang of it, but it still makes me uncomfortable.  I tend to stick with clay, lube and plastic razor blades.   One other thing that helps is to whine during the process and have some wine afterwards.

I’ll have to practice on some personal cars before I’ll do it on customer’s cars. She was very happy with how it turned out so that’s all that matters.