Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing question--

Josh03

Question

Hey guys, I'm getting set to make a order for everything I'll need to get started polishing, including a 15mm SK.  What I wanted to know is, what all would you recommend that I need to order from pads to polishes to get started?  My wife's black Traverse will be my first project as my truck isn't badly needed, and its got plenty of swirls and some fine scratches also!  And what would yall recommend to bring out the best depth and shine on black?  

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I'll keep it simple, get the kit.  And take 20% off with the Father's Day sale (code DAD). Then follow up with protection of your choice based on the article below. Watch the videos on the YouTube channel for the process, take your time, and enjoy!

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/machine-hand-polishing-kits/products/adam-s-three-step-swirl-killer-complete-polishing-kit

2 hours ago, Josh03 said:

And what would yall recommend to bring out the best depth and shine on black?

After doing a few black vehicles recently, there are few items that I can recommend for getting best depth and shine.

First, I'm a wine drinker and prefer white wine, I ensure a bottle is chilled for when I'm done...

Before pictures...

Rule #1, use the least aggressive method possible and determine that by having a test spot or two.  Don't be concerned if one area of the vehicle needs Compound, another Scratch and Swirl remove and another only needs Finishing polish.  I just had that situation on a black Jaguar.

Plan on two days, you really need to plan to have plenty of time and it is the most important thing you can plan for.  If you don't give yourself plenty of time to do the job right, there is no sense in starting it.

Don't chase perfection, it doesn't exist or at least rarely exists.  You can make it look great even with minor flaws that only you will know are there.  With black the flaws will be more noticeable, yet can still be acceptable within reason.

Have more pads than you think you need.  I generally use 4 pad of each type, per vehicle sometimes it is less and sometimes it is more.  When the pad gets fouled take a break, wash it out, and put it in the bucket for the full wash and grab a new one.

When you are all done, sit back, have a drink of you choice, wine, beer, soda, ice tea or whatever and admire your work and take pictures.

The very last thing is to post the pictures and your process so all the rest of us can admire your work.

On 6/11/2020 at 7:11 PM, RayS said:

After doing a few black vehicles recently, there are few items that I can recommend for getting best depth and shine.

First, I'm a wine drinker and prefer white wine, I ensure a bottle is chilled for when I'm done...

Before pictures...

Rule #1, use the least aggressive method possible and determine that by having a test spot or two.  Don't be concerned if one area of the vehicle needs Compound, another Scratch and Swirl remove and another only needs Finishing polish.  I just had that situation on a black Jaguar.

Plan on two days, you really need to plan to have plenty of time and it is the most important thing you can plan for.  If you don't give yourself plenty of time to do the job right, there is no sense in starting it.

Don't chase perfection, it doesn't exist or at least rarely exists.  You can make it look great even with minor flaws that only you will know are there.  With black the flaws will be more noticeable, yet can still be acceptable within reason.

Have more pads than you think you need.  I generally use 4 pad of each type, per vehicle sometimes it is less and sometimes it is more.  When the pad gets fouled take a break, wash it out, and put it in the bucket for the full wash and grab a new one.

When you are all done, sit back, have a drink of you choice, wine, beer, soda, ice tea or whatever and admire your work and take pictures.

The very last thing is to post the pictures and your process so all the rest of us can admire your work.

Ray,

Would you be able to provide a list of the products arranged from least aggressive to most? I’ve seen on the forums in a lot of places the advice to start with the least aggressive, but haven’t been able to find a list for dummies of the order in which to try them. I recently got a One Step Polish and matching pad in a Mystery Box, which made me wonder, is this more or less aggressive than the Compound/Polish combo. 

Thanks for your help!

Let me try this!

From least to most aggressive:

• Hand Polish (formerly Revive Polish - a great tool in your arsenal, even if you don't work by hand) and a MF applicator, hex grip applicator, or MF towel
  • Adam's Polish and a white polishing pad
  • One Step Polish and pad
  • Adam's Compound and a blue compound pad
  • Adam's Compound and a blue microfiber pad

The color coordination part is one thing Adam's does to make this easier beginners.

Edited by mc2hill

6 minutes ago, mc2hill said:

Let me try this!

From least to most aggressive:

• Hand Polish (formerly Revive Polish - a great tool in your arsenal, even if you don't work by hand) and a MF applicator, hex grip applicator, or MF towel
  • Adam's Polish and a white polishing pad
  • One Step Polish and pad
  • Adam's Compound and a blue compound pad
  • Adam's Compound and a blue microfiber pad

The color coordination part is one thing Adam's does to make this easier beginners.

Thanks Michael. This is exactly what I was looking for. Follow up question: would you ever apply the Polish via white polishing pad *without* applying the Compound first? It seems like most of the videos I’ve seen, along with the marketing, promote those as hand-in-hand and a two step process. Will the polish help reduce swirl/cobweb marks in the finish without the Compound?

1 hour ago, JoeMar said:

Thanks Michael. This is exactly what I was looking for. Follow up question: would you ever apply the Polish via white polishing pad *without* applying the Compound first? It seems like most of the videos I’ve seen, along with the marketing, promote those as hand-in-hand and a two step process. Will the polish help reduce swirl/cobweb marks in the finish without the Compound?

Yes, you can. Every car and paint is different, meaning different steps can be taken. General rule is least aggressive steps first, and as you learn, you'll become more comfortable knowing when to adjust. Polish "might" work on something like a light colored car and/or soft paint, you'll have to be the judge.

I'd also like to add to @mc2hill comments above that the One Step pad, which is a wool and microfiber blend) is actually more aggressive than the Microfiber pad. But the One Step Polish isn't as aggressive as the Compound.

@mc2hill and @falcaineer have you taken care of - thanks for jumping in guys, I'm being a bit slow at responding right now.

@JoeMar to follow up to Chris' response, you can mix polish and compounds on different pads.  As an example, I really want be careful with decals or paint that I'm just sure about, I may go with a Hand Polish and a Orange Hand Pad.   With the Scratch and Swirl remover, I have used that with an Orange pad on the Swirl Killer and and Orange hand pad - both worked great.  The motorcycle I just did was done entirely by hand wit the exception of the gas tank.

One thing to keep in mind, you may need to use different levels of chemicals or pads on different areas of the vehicles.  Pickup boxes behind the rear tires are notorious for needing more work than the hood, roof and according to the tire size the doors.