Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Cat, Broken Wrist and Broken Jaguar

RayS

It has been a couple of interesting days and I'm sure we'll have a couple of interesting weeks to look forward to.

It started with my wife helping my daughter trim the cats nails.  One of the cats decided to run and my wife went to grab her and tripped over the dog bed and this is where everything went bad.  While the dog felt bad, it truly was the cats fault.

Instead of just falling, she put our her right hand out and yes she is right handed.  If the title doesn't tell you results, let me elaborate.  Next was a trip to urgent care where the Xray's were taken and break confirmed and an appointment with a orthopedic surgeon made.  She actually worked Thursday night, she said the little typing she does was a challenge, but she didn't have a problem with the numeric keypad, she does accounting.  At 5:30 AM on Friday morning we were at the hospital for the wife to get checked in to have a plate and screw put in her wrist for the 4 breaks, that's right she broke it in 4 places - Ouch!

Surgery went well and we were home about 10:00 AM.  Her hand is swollen and black & blue and while her fingers are a bit tingly, that is considered normal for the surgery she had.  She has a brace on for two weeks and then has to start physical therapy.  She's not allowed to lift anything with her right hand, but she do all the finger exercises and typing she chooses.  The biggest part is for the next few days is keeping the wrist above her heart for the swelling.  It's the weekend, so she doesn't work again until Monday night.

The Doc told us that that due to her age, the multiple breaks and the plate, that she should plan on therapy for a while and may not get full mobility back in her wrist.  Given that she can still type and punch number, at I know she'll continue to put in my Adam's orders.  She's in great spirits, no pain and just a little discomfort, so overall we know it could be a lot worse.  We've been pretty much sticking to the house, so we're not going to miss out any activities.   

I can say that we were very impressed with the precautions at the hospital for the surgery.  I know there are some cases of Covid-19 in the hospital, but there were multiple stages of protection in place before you could ever get in the door.  Then once inside, there were multiple layers of separation and protection and every turn to project the staff and patients and the very few visitors allowed.  

It so happens that the daughter my wife was helping is the one that just got the Jag and it was ready for a touch up being coated a couple weeks ago, so I kept the Jag yesterday and had her take the Terrain.  While I was washing the Jaguar, I broke it and it is temporarily a Aguar.  It appears that the glue for the "J" was not very good and I'll call it fortunate that it came off in the driveway since it was while I was spraying it with the hose. The glue spot on "J' was tiny and a wonder it had not fallen off going down the road.

After a wash with Wash & Coat and then drying with CS3, the Aguar looks good.

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

Sorry to hear about your wife.  I'm sure you're helping her out a lot.  As for the J, just use some crazy glue.  I've used crazy glue for all kinds of stuff on cars over the years, even letters and chrome mouldings.    

Ouch!  If she does not have a roller-ball mouse at work, she may want to look at getting one.  I got one I did not ask for, but found it is easier to use, especially if my dexterity was limited.  It took a short time to get used to, but it is nice that just your thumb moves, not you wrist.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on Mary - The brace is off, the stitches are out and she starts physical therapy this week and no more sling. The doctor will determine later if the plate and screws can be removed and it is according to how the multiple breaks heal.  With the brace off, the level of discomfort is much lower and she's able to get more than 30 minutes of sleep at a time.

She already has as Adam's blanket, not that it will be used again until January.  She did get a Packers face mask and I'm waiting for her Badgers face mask to arrive.   All in all, she's in good spirits and knows that it will take time to get through the injury.  She also very much appreciates the well wishes from the Forum members and my coworkers.  

Thanks everyone.

4 hours ago, RayS said:

Update on Mary - The brace is off, the stitches are out and she starts physical therapy this week and no more sling. The doctor will determine later if the plate and screws can be removed and it is according to how the multiple breaks heal.  With the brace off, the level of discomfort is much lower and she's able to get more than 30 minutes of sleep at a time.

She already has as Adam's blanket, not that it will be used again until January.  She did get a Packers face mask and I'm waiting for her Badgers face mask to arrive.   All in all, she's in good spirits and knows that it will take time to get through the injury.  She also very much appreciates the well wishes from the Forum members and my coworkers.  

Thanks everyone.

Good news all around. 

I knew there was a reason we had a kindred spirit despite never meeting (maybe one day we all will, Ray 🙂)...tell Mary, Go Pack Go!!!