Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Curing on Vinyl

Bscott94

Question

I have a client that was ceramic coated about a month ago. He is now getting his hood and trunk lid wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. He's wanting the vinyl coated after it's applied. I believe he's going to come to me very soon after the vinyl is applied so I'll probably just need a quick wipe down with waterless wash and then prep spray. My questions are below. 

- the surface should be cool to the touch before applying ceramic, correct? This will mean I'll have to wait a while for the hood to cool. 

- will the heat of the engine affect the curing process if he drives it home after application? He doesn't want to leave his car for a day this time. 

- anything else I should look out for when coating vinyl wrap? 

7 answers to this question

The coating that's currently on the vehicle is going to have to be removed before the wrap goes on. The adhesive of the wrap will not stick to the coating.

Yes, you'll want the hood to cool down before trying to coat it. If it's a hot and sunny day, your going to want to make sure the trunk lid is cool too.

I'm not sure how the heat from the engine will effect the coating prior to being completely cured.

I Ceramic Coated the Clear Wrap on my '06 GTO this past winter, it was just like doing paint.

Edited by BRZN

14 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Good advice from @BRZN above.

Only thing I'd add is even if it's needed for some reason, don't correct much, if at all, it may degrade the adhesive and cause big issues. 

Yep, it can be easy to damage vinyl wraps with machine polishing! 

@Bscott94 As far as heat from the engine afterward, heat will usually aid in the coating curing faster. This is why some shops use infrared curing lamps to speed up the curing process. Just make sure that you have completely removed all residue with no high spots before the customer leaves. Make sure to pull the vehicle out into the sunlight for a visual inspection, since you may not see some high spots with garage lighting! Definitely apply the coating with the surface cool to the touch though, preferably in room temperature range.

Thanks everyone. I'm wanting to coat it as soon as it's applied so I basically just have to surface prep it. I'll make sure it gets cooled down before the coating is applied. I didn't think the heat would be a bad thing but thank you @Dan@Adams for confirming. 

1 hour ago, Bscott94 said:

Thanks everyone. I'm wanting to coat it as soon as it's applied so I basically just have to surface prep it. I'll make sure it gets cooled down before the coating is applied. I didn't think the heat would be a bad thing but thank you @Dan@Adams for confirming. 

Just make sure to check with the vinyl installer that they don't have any kind of off-gassing period or anything like that before applying any products to it 👍

One thing to add here.  Get in touch with your client and make sure you tell him what BRZN said about having to remove the coating BEFORE the vinyl is applied.  He, and/or the installer may not be aware. And then he can discuss it with his installer.