Customer Service 866.965.0400

Using Wheel Cleaner on powder coated wheels?

edlosee

Question

Is Wheel Cleaner too harsh to use on powder coated wheels?

The article online says it's okay for powder coated wheels, but not aftermarket.

I have no idea of the quality of mine because the dealership powder coated the wheels to gloss black for free when I got my car.

Should I be okay to use Wheel Cleaner or do I need to use something much lighter? Or can I just dilute Wheel Cleaner? Or do I really need to buy the Eco Wheel Cleaner....

I already ordered a bottle so I'd obviously prefer to use it, but definitely not if it's going to damage the gloss black powder coat on my wheels.

Edited by edlosee

7 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Nickfire20 said:

I’m just curious since the dealership did it,  if they are clear coated also 🤔

Well they sent it off with their "wheel guy" but I have no idea... and I definitely don't know enough to tell if they are clear coated or not. Should it be obvious?

I keep Eco Wheel Cleaner, Wheel Cleaner and recently added Wheel & Tire cleaner to the mix.    If I have any doubt about the wheels, I start with Eco Wheel Cleaner - first it does not have the nasty smell and it works great on many wheels, especially if they are coated.    Next, I go to Wheel & Tire, again it doesn't seem as harsh as Wheel Cleaner and certainly doesn't smell as bad.   Finally, for old steel wheels and those that are just absolutely nasty, I go with Wheel Cleaner.

I have yet to have a problem and once you know what you can use on the specific wheels, always going with the least aggressive, keep it in your log book for the future.

The wheels on my C7Z are powdercoated. Like @BRZN, I use wheel cleaner on them with no problems.

The key is using the product correctly. It should never be applied to hot wheels, not in direct sunlight, and not allowed to dry on the wheels.  I work on one wheel-at-a-time, allowing the Tire & Rubber Cleaner a bit of contact time, but I limit Wheel Cleaner contact time and rinse completely when I'm finished agitating with Wheel Woolies, Boar's Hair Brush, and a Lug Nut Brush. 

As usual, recommend testing the products on an inconspicuous area before applying them widely.

Do a sacrificial test spot on YOUR wheels. There is not a clear, straight answer, period.  Just because it worked on a 100 set of other wheels doesn’t mean it’ll work on yours. Not trying to be a negative Nancy, but attached it what happened to my wheels, and yes, I did everything right.