Customer Service 866.965.0400

Stripe Decals when Polishing

Jjm1995

Question

I just ordered the 2-step polishing kit and am looking forward to giving my Camaro the perfect paint it deserves. I am curious though, are there any precautions I need to take when using an orbital so I don't damage my matte stripes?

Thanks,

Jake

12 answers to this question

Yes, don't polish them! Tape the edges with some painters tape, no locking edges. Get wide enough tape or apply multiple strips to make sure the pad doesn't hit them. 

What protection are you going to apply?

I never use a polisher anywhere near my stripes (hood, trunk).  I tape off the edges about a quarter to half an inch over the edge so that the polisher hits the tape and not the stripes. Then I finish the stripes by hand. 

9 hours ago, Rich said:

I never use a polisher anywhere near my stripes (hood, trunk).  I tape off the edges about a quarter to half an inch over the edge so that the polisher hits the tape and not the stripes. Then I finish the stripes by hand. 

To clarify for Jake, your stripes aren't matte, right, Rich? His are, so doing anything paint correction wise to them by hand wouldn't apply in this case. Just don't want him thinking there's a step or two we left out from other guidance above.

23 hours ago, falcaineer said:

I read it as random orbital, aka dual action.

:iagree:An orbital polisher is exactly what you WANT to use since they're "random," by definition. Rotary polishers should be avoided.

FWIW, my 8-year old GT500 has matte-finish vinyl stripes and I HAVE used my orbital polisher on them with no ill-effects.  The "harshest" products I used to do so were white foam pads and Fine Machine Polish (when it was available). Doing so can remove minor blemishes, stains, water spots, etc.  Generally, however, I used a combination of VRT and Matte Detailer, both hand-applied. If you haven't seen it, this video provides great insight on caring for factory vinyl stripes.

I've since ceramic-coated the whole car, including the stripes, making maintenance a lot simpler.

IMG_9152.jpg

20200423_082008.jpg

Edited by Norton

59 minutes ago, GXPaycheck said:

My bad. I had rotary in my head when I said that. Minor cerebral flagelism. 

All good! Maybe they need to make a new product called Braino (vs. Beano) to prevent such occurrences! 🧠 💨😵😆

PS I'll reference this as my copyright/trademark if it's ever created or named......

12 hours ago, falcaineer said:

To clarify for Jake, your stripes aren't matte, right, Rich? His are, so doing anything paint correction wise to them by hand wouldn't apply in this case. Just don't want him thinking there's a step or two we left out from other guidance above.

Yeah, they're  a matte vinyl, but a metallic paint look.  That make any sense?   Any time I get any kind of marks or spots on them, I just use the hand polish to get it off. And I keep a good coat of wax on them to help prevent any more.  

I, like Norton above, have been able to clean up Matte vinyl stripes using the 15mm Swirl Killer on speed 2, or 3 with a black pad and Fine Machine Polish. Adam's new polish should do just fine. Move fairly quickly so not to build any heat, and I'd suggest trying in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure you'll do no harm. Excessive heat with soften the adhesive underneath, however, just think how hot the stripes are getting that have been placed on a black car that's out in the summer sun. Protect with VRT, Matte Detailer, or Brilliant Glaze. Be aware, anything you do to Matte stripes will slightly take away from the original Matte finish.