Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Ceramic Coating | FAQ's | Discussion

Dan@Adams

Question

Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating | Durable Long-Lasting Multi-Surface Protection
Published 7/27/2020

ZTC6Bjo.jpg

With the inclusion of Graphene, Adam’s UV Ceramic Coating has evolved! Compared to the original Ceramic Coating, the Graphene variant has improved characteristics. This is our longest lasting coating yet, lasting 7+ years in lab tested wash cycles. Graphene allows for the coating to be less prone to water spotting, in part due to a lower sliding angle for water droplets, with water evacuating at angles less than 10-15°.

oauQH7U.jpg

It also provides a higher contact angle for water droplets, averaging 110-118° - what this means is that the greater the contact angle, the more the water will form into droplets in a tighter circle, which makes the droplets have less chance of being taken up quickly and drying onto the surface, and greater chance of them rolling off of the surface.

Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating has a hardness greater than 9H, so this means it has a higher resistance to scratching during the wash process and also better resistance to staining from bug guts, tree sap, and bird droppings. It provides excellent depth and clarity to all surfaces - including paint, glass, headlights, chrome, plastic trim, wheels, vinyl graphics, and bed liners. Just like our previous coatings, the Graphene Ceramic Coating gives incredible depth, color, and clarity to paint, and utilized our Patent Pending, UV Tracing Technology™.

TZS76p5.jpg

FAQ's

1. “Can I layer this product to make it last longer?”

Yes, of course, but that doesn’t mean layering this product 10 times will make it 10x longer - any application after 2 rounds will render the product redundant and still provide the same hydrophobic effects. 

2. “What is Ceramic Glow Technology?”

Ceramic Glow Technology™ is Adam’s Polishes Patent-Pending chemistry. It’s a crystalline form of an optical brightener that absorbs energy and emits light as it relaxes back down to a lower energy state.

3. “What’s the difference between fluorescence and phosphorescence?”

Length of time that the light is emitted. Said another way, the amount of time it takes for the electrons to relax and quit releasing energy in the form of photons or light.

4. “Does the UV Coating act as a durability indicator?”

No, it doesn’t. It’s currently offered as an application aid and utility for visualizing the coating. Lack of glow does not indicate lack of coating.

5. “Why does the product glow more intensely on some substrates than others?”

Differences in porosity and the ability of the coating to penetrate and bond to different surfaces will cause different levels of film thickness. The thicker the film, the more intense the glow typically.

6. “Will my car glow blue in the sunlight?”

No, because this coating is completely invisible and clear under standard light, the coating will only glow a bluish hue under the 395 NM UV light.

7. “Will this coating glow after being “charged” with the UV light?”

No, since this coating is fluorescent and not phosphorescent, it will excite and glow only when the light is shone. Contrarily, “glow in the dark” items have a yellow/greenish hue from phosphorescent dyes-- these slowly become excited under any light and will diminish over the course of a few minutes. 

8. “What can I use this on? Can I just use this on the whole car?”

Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ provides protection to an extreme range of areas on your vehicle including Painted surfaces, Trim, Bed Rail Covers, Plastic Engine Bay Components, Headlights, Bed liners, - all are safe to be protected.

9. “What happens if I forget a spot or end up with a high-spot?”

If you forget a spot and you catch it in time (10-20 minutes after removal) simply reapply to that area and wipe off after 1-2 minutes. Reactivating the product will allow for easier removal. If left on for longer, we recommend Brilliant Glaze and a microfiber applicator, or machine polishing with Polish to fully remove the imperfection. 

How To Video:

Instructions for Paint & Glass:

1. Prepare your painted surface or glass by using the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Surface Prep towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. For optimal results, users must Wash, Clay/Decontaminate, and Polish their paint prior to application.
  2. Open the coating bottle and begin by dispensing numerous drops of the liquid onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator to sufficiently wet it. Work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area, using cross hatching motions and overlapping your previous pass by 25-50%. During your time between passes, utilize Adam’s UV Flashlight for inspections. Take note of between the body lines, bumper areas, mirror caps, and commonly missed areas on your vehicle. To ensure a thorough application, the light should shine and reveal an even and consistent bluish hue of light. If you notice streaking in the surfaces, level out with additional product and the used Micro Silk applicator. 
  3. Once the recently applied product begins to characteristically flash and sweat into beads, begin wiping the coating off, applying minimal pressure to the towel in the process. Wipe down in a similar cross hatch pattern as applied, switching/flipping the towel periodically to use a new face to fully level the coating.
  4. Once fully leveled, allow the coating to fully cure for 24 hours, free from water, elements, or weathering.

Instructions for Plastic Trim & Headlights:

1. Prepare your plastic trim or headlights by using the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Edgeless Utility Towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. For heavily contaminated plastic trim or headlights, we recommend a deep cleanse with Tire & Rubber Cleaner and an Edgeless Utility Towel.
  2. Open the coating bottle and begin by dispensing numerous drops of the liquid onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator to sufficiently wet it. Work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area, using cross hatching motions and overlapping your previous pass by 25-50%. Since the product is being applied to a porous surface, you will not see a rainbow/ flashing effect - the immediate color change of the plastic or trim will reveal where the product has been applied. However, you are also able to utilize the Adam’s UV Flashlight for inspections where desired.
  3. Once the recently applied product has penetrated, begin leveling the coating, applying minimal pressure to the towel in the process. Wipe down in a similar cross hatch pattern as applied, switching/flipping the towel periodically to use a new face to fully level the coating.
  4. Once fully leveled, allow the coating to fully cure for 24 hours, free from water, elements, or weathering.

Instructions for Wheels:

1. Prepare your wheels by using the supplied 4oz bottle of Adam’s Surface Prep and Edgeless Utility Towel to clean and degrease the surface of any existing protection or residual films. For heavily contaminated wheels, we recommend a thorough cleaning with Adam’s Wheel Cleaner, or Eco Wheel Cleaner. In addition, claying with a Fine Grade Clay Bar and Detail Spray may also be necessary to initially remove stubborn contamination from the barrels and/or wheel faces.
  2. Open the coating bottle and begin by dispensing numerous drops of the liquid onto the supplied Micro Silk applicator to sufficiently wet it. Work the product into the surface, ensuring full coverage over the desired area, using cross hatching motions and overlapping your previous pass by 25-50%. During your time between passes, utilize Adam’s UV Flashlight for inspections. Take note of behind the spokes, in between the crevices of the wheel design, around the valve stem and center cap areas. To ensure a thorough application, the light should shine and reveal an even and consistent bluish hue of light. If you notice streaking in the surfaces, level out with additional product and the used Micro Silk applicator. 
  3. Once the recently applied product begins to characteristically flash and sweat into beads, begin wiping the coating off, applying minimal pressure to the towel in the process. Wipe down in a similar cross hatch pattern as applied, switching/flipping the towel periodically to use a new face to fully level the coating.

Common Sense Warning:

Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ is a semi-permanent ceramic coating. If installed incorrectly, polishing may be needed. Avoid contact with eyes, nose, and ingestion – always keep away from children! If contact does occur, rinse thoroughly with water and monitor for irritation. If irritation persists, contact a physician. 

Below is an excellent write-up from our chemist explaining the differences of the new Graphene Ceramic Coating compared to traditional ceramic coatings:

What's The Difference Between Graphene And Traditional Ceramic Coatings?

Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coatings

What are they and Why are they different?

Description:

In the simplest terms, Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ are best described as evolutions on “traditional” ceramic coating technologies – the term traditional, as of this writing, referring to currently marketed ceramic coating offerings comprised of primarily quartz (SiO2), metal-oxides like titanium-dioxide (TiO2), silicon-carbide (SiC) and many others.

The R&D Process:

When we began formulating our Graphene Ceramic Coatings, we were seeking to improve upon the physical characteristics of our own ceramic coating offerings by providing them with additional hydrophobicity, chemical durability, scratch and mar resistance, gloss, slickness, and ease of application. We were interested in consolidating feedback into advancements in our coating technologies that would yield an even better experience for our customers.

What we determined was that the next frontier was likely to be utilizing technologies around graphene and incorporating this tech into our coatings and process. 

To get very technical for a moment, what we’ve developed is a ceramic coating that has been modified via a reduced graphene-oxide (RGO). Graphene, a monolayer of graphite, is able to be oxidatively processed into graphene-oxide (GO) which makes the material vastly easier to process and formulate around. We can then combine this technology with some of the more traditional ceramic coating technologies to further retrofit them with additional properties while utilizing the ceramic coating’s ability to bond this matrix to the surface.

adams_polishes_graphene_ceramic_coating_
Figure 1. Example of a Graphene-Oxide Matrix.

What we saw in quantitative and qualitative testing, in and out of the lab, was dramatically improved hydrophobic character, increased gloss, higher tensile strength yielding more scratch and mar resistance, and further improved resistivity to water spot etching and detergent washes – often taking in the hundreds of traditional car washes or even thousands of scrubs on our Elcometer Abrasion-Washability tester – See Figure 2.

adams_polishes_graphene_ceramic_coating_Figure 2. Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating after 5000 back-and-forth scrubs with a sponge exerting 500g of pressure and a 5% Dawn Ultra Dish Soap solution.

Hydrophobicity and its Relation to the Self-Cleaning Effect:

The improved hydrophobic character can best be described as a dynamic hydrophobicity. That is to say the contact angle was improved, but only marginally, but the sliding angle of the coating was dramatically lowered – that is the degree of tilt was found to be much less to get movement of water. This has huge ramifications on the effectiveness of the Lotus-Leaf Type “self-cleaning effect” offered by the coating, a primary attribute. The water will be observed to get off the surface much more dramatically than what’s seen on our current coating offerings.

Figure 3. Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating contact angle with Deionized Water. 

Compare & Contrast:

The application of Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ are similar to what you’d expect from our current ceramic coating offerings, with a few key differences. An individual would find that the graphene offerings tend to cure more rapidly, so it some ways it may be found to be less user friendly – particularly in hot and humid climates which will accelerate the cure as well. However, the graphene offerings will also be found to be more highly slick and produce a higher level of gloss as the coating film is thicker due to a higher overall activity level compared to the quartz coatings – some of our highest actives coatings yet! Despite the higher activity, individuals will be surprised to note that the graphene coatings don’t have as harsh of an odor as the quartz coatings too.

One special characteristic we found in development of the graphene coatings were that they have a strong affinity for practically any external automotive surface. We’ve presented the Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ as multi-surface coatings because they truly were appropriate for all manner of substrates be it paint, wheels, plastic trim, chrome, glass, rubber or metal. This provides additional ease of use to the end user because they are able to coat more surfaces utilizing a single bottle. 

Maintenance:

Maintenance for the two types of coating technologies is very similar and the use of SiO2 based protection is still perfectly valid and acceptable as the Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ still contain SiO2 based ingredients and will interact well to bolster and maintain the finish produced by the coatings.

Adam’s UV Ceramic Glow Technology™:

Thankfully, we were also able to formulate the coatings such that all Adam’s Polishes’ offerings of ceramic coatings have our patent-pending UV Ceramic Glow Technology™ which aids in the application of the coatings and allows visualization of the film post cure to ensure high spots are leveled properly and all surface area is properly coated.

Figure 4. Demonstrations of UV Ceramic Glow Technology™.

Summary:

Again, it’s best to view Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Coating™ and Adam’s Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating™ as a necessary evolutionary step to ceramic coating technologies and not as simply a “carbon coating”. This is a reduced graphene-oxide system and it’s intended to retrofit traditional quartz-based ceramic coatings with additional functionality and improved physical characteristics.

Question:  The KIT comes with Ceramic Boost.. How long after applying the Graphene coating do you have to wait to apply the Ceramic Boost?

Similar Question:  I also bought the Spray Graphene Coating... Although I realize it's redundant... a) I CAN use the Graphone Spray Coating on a Graphene Coated car, Correct?

b) How long should you wait after applying Graphene Coating, to use the Graphene SPRAY Coating? 

2 hours ago, BIG NICK said:

Question:  The KIT comes with Ceramic Boost.. How long after applying the Graphene coating do you have to wait to apply the Ceramic Boost?

Similar Question:  I also bought the Spray Graphene Coating... Although I realize it's redundant... a) I CAN use the Graphone Spray Coating on a Graphene Coated car, Correct?

b) How long should you wait after applying Graphene Coating, to use the Graphene SPRAY Coating? 

First, welcome!

Wait at least 24 hours before applying Ceramic Boost to the coating, then about once a month or every 3-4 washes.

a) Yes, you can. One layer of either one is enough, if you choose to apply it. Also know adding two or more layers of either combo doesn't equate to 2x+ the protection. The law of diminishing returns applies.

b) Wait 1-2 hours before applying the Spray Coating

Hi

I just bought and installed the Grapene ceramic coating on my car, and it saw no weather/rain for the first about 48 hours. But now it's been 4 days, and yesterday i drove it in the rain, resulting in a dirty car.

Question; How long after application until is it safe to wash the car in a normal fashion using regular soaps and prewash foams?

Best regards -Pete-

Hallo Pete @PetFjuand Velkommen to the Forum and that is about the limit of my Norwegian.   

If you are using a true Vehicle Shampoo such as Adam's Car Shampoo, you are good to wash it.  The coating is fully cured in 24 hours, I prefer to wait 48 hours and after 5 days, I treat it as normal.  Post a note in the new member section and we always appreciate pictures of the vehicles.  

Thank you, knowing that much is more than most 😉

Ok, thank you for the information :)  I'll post a picture as soon as i get the car cleaned (posted a "before" picture in the newb section :) )

Edited by PetFju

Hello, A couple questions before I switch my routine-

1) If I use the Graphene Spray Coating (instead of my old regiment of Paint Sealant), do I no longer need Brilliant Glaze?

2) For maintenance, do I reduce to CS3 or Boost, and no longer use HGG?

3) Can I apply the Spray Coating over my Ceramic Wheel Coating, or is this unnecessary?

4) What is the best process for plastic trim?

Thanks in advance!

On 8/31/2020 at 3:48 PM, cskipgo said:

1) If I use the Graphene Spray Coating (instead of my old regiment of Paint Sealant), do I no longer need Brilliant Glaze?

3) Can I apply the Spray Coating over my Ceramic Wheel Coating, or is this unnecessary?

Thanks in advance!

My $0.02

1) Brilliant Glaze is still a neat, handy tool to keep around.  It will level any high spots or bad spots that you may not like, or if you have any goof-ups from installing the coating.  Plus you may have heard it's amazing on inside glass.  Just an all around handy tool to keep in the inventory.

2) I would.  CS3 is amazing and easy to use.  I've never liked HGG anyways, but I personally see zero need, and would never use it on a coated car.  But that's just me.

3) Can you?  Yes.  Necessary?  Probably not, but I always prefer the appearance of the sprays over the traditional coating, thus I always to a top layer. 

18 hours ago, EPHIOS said:

Can you dilute Graphene Detail Spray if you are getting some streaking with distilled water?

How are you getting streaking from distilled water? 

On 8/31/2020 at 4:48 PM, cskipgo said:

Thanks in advance!

1) Like galaxy said, I would still keep Brilliant Glaze around to help with any high spots during application of the coating, and then it can be used on your exterior and interior glass to cut through film on the windshield too. You DO NOT want to put Brilliant Glaze down before the Graphene Ceramic Coating (if you are used to applying Brilliant Glaze before Paint Sealant in your current regiment). Graphene Ceramic Coating must be applied to the bare, polished clear coat surface to bond correctly.

2) Graphene Detail Spray and CS3 would be my preferred maintenance products now for a Graphene Coated vehicle. You can also use Ceramic Boost, Slick & Slide, and the current version of H2O Guard, since it does contain a small amount of SiO2 in it now (designated by the red oval "With Hybrid Technology" on the front of the bottle label).

3) Yep, if the wheel coating has been on your wheels for a while, Graphene Spray Coating can be applied onto them to extend the protection, but it is not necessary. I would recommend doing a very thorough cleaning with blue Car Shampoo or Eco Wheel Cleaner, then wiping them down with Surface Prep before applying the spray coating.

4) For plastic trim, VERY thoroughly clean the trim first. Any previous dressings - VRT, In & Out, etc - need to be removed. Clean the plastic trim two or three times with Trim Cleaner or Tire & Rubber Cleaner, then wipe it two or three more times with Surface Prep (using a different towel for Surface Prep). You can then apply the Graphene Ceramic Coating, or the Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating, but you MUST level the plastic trim and wipe away the residue just like you would do with paint, glass, and chrome. We have seen some customers that have had plastic trim pieces discolor and have a white chalky appearance if you do not level and wipe the coating off. For this reason, I've been sticking with our Non-UV Ceramic Spray Coating on plastic trim.

1 hour ago, galaxy said:

How are you getting streaking from distilled water? 

I think he meant that, if it is streaking for him now, would diluting it with distilled water help with that. Rather than dilute, I would recommend the "Less is More" approach and use a lighter amount of spray per panel, with two towels for removal. Use the first towel to wipe away the majority of the residue, then take a second dry plush towel to wipe away the remaining residue. Ceramic-type products do require a little more working into the surface and wiping than something like our normal pink Detail Spray. Working in the shade on a cool surface will be easier to work with than a warm surface in the sun as well 👍

6 hours ago, galaxy said:

My $0.02

1) Brilliant Glaze is still a neat, handy tool to keep around.  It will level any high spots or bad spots that you may not like, or if you have any goof-ups from installing the coating.  Plus you may have heard it's amazing on inside glass.  Just an all around handy tool to keep in the inventory.

2) I would.  CS3 is amazing and easy to use.  I've never liked HGG anyways, but I personally see zero need, and would never use it on a coated car.  But that's just me.

3) Can you?  Yes.  Necessary?  Probably not, but I always prefer the appearance of the sprays over the traditional coating, thus I always to a top layer. 

How are you getting streaking from distilled water? Sorry 

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant by diluting it to 1:1 I am hoping that the streaking will decrease.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, stirthepot said:

Can the graphene coating be used on matte ppf?  will it add any shine?

Can someone please answer this question? Putting Lumar Matte PPF on my White R8 and having a graphene coat applied. Would like to know if I can use the spray/detail spray.

On 9/11/2020 at 4:51 AM, ThinMint said:

Can someone please answer this question? Putting Lumar Matte PPF on my White R8 and having a graphene coat applied. Would like to know if I can use the spray/detail spray.

I can't vouch for all competitor coatings, but in my experience, coatings should not leave a matte finish shiny. It will, however, slightly darken it and make it richer in color. Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating is no exception, and I posted a picture below of side by side on matte (painted) B pillars for reference.

Which "spray" and "detail Spray" do you mean, and when would you like to use it? For maintenance after the coating?

IMG_20200822_171334.thumb.jpg.546d3f57ab55ad20ab941b4ef742fa5f.jpg

On 8/8/2020 at 1:01 PM, stirthepot said:

Can the graphene coating be used on matte ppf?  will it add any shine?

Yes, it can, and no, it won't make it shiny, but it will darken/enrich the color. When you apply it, it may look shiny at first. Don't panic! The gloss will subside. Reference my picture directly above.

How does your product complete the bond to achieve the 1 atom thickness? I have read this is not possible, and that most products on the Market cannot achieve the 1 atom thickness to form complete protection. Dr. Beasley's has had a independent third party test several products on the Market, and they did not achieve the 1 atom thickness. Have you had your product tested to verify it achieves 1 atom thickness? If so do you have any documentation to substantiate this claim? Thanks. 

34 minutes ago, 67 Chevy said:

How does your product complete the bond to achieve the 1 atom thickness? I have read this is not possible, and that most products on the Market cannot achieve the 1 atom thickness to form complete protection. Dr. Beasley's has had a independent third party test several products on the Market, and they did not achieve the 1 atom thickness. Have you had your product tested to verify it achieves 1 atom thickness? If so do you have any documentation to substantiate this claim? Thanks. 

First, welcome!

I don't know that Adam's has ever claimed the coating to be one atom thick. But they have been very up front about the science of this new Graphene Ceramic Coating. Where did you see or hear Adam's make the claim, and what's your concern either way? 

From my research, Graphene is the thinnest material due to its one atom structure. Without getting too technical, Graphene is the name for an atom-thick honeycomb sheet of carbon atoms. to achieve this true molecular bond to the paint is the challenge. From the articles I read, and videos I have watched none of the graphene products produce the true 1 atom molecular bond with the paint.  Here is a YouTube video that is a must watch if you are considering Graphene coatings. Pay particular attention to the portion of the video where Jim the Chemist from Dr. Beasley's does some independent testing and explains the results. this starts at 21:50 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbfr35YkDzk  Based on Jim's findings, no product achieves this coating. Which leads me to my question for this product, has Adams done any testing of the molecular bond of their product, and do they have any documentation of any testing done.  Adams does make the claim of 10H hardness and 7+ years protection. Based on Jim's findings Graphene infused coatings perform no better than a high quality ceramic coating.  Based on these findings and Adams claim of 10H hardness, I am curious to know how their product achieves this and do they have any documentation of any testing they have done that substantiates this claim. Not trying to knock Adams products. They make great stuff. Just trying to get all the information before I try this graphene product on my 67 Impala. I have a very expensive paint job on this car, and want to find the best coating available.

Edited by 67 Chevy

@67 Chevy I think I understand where my confusion comes in. As I said above, Adam's has been very up front. They have explained this is not graphene, but is a ceramic coating modified with reduced graphene oxide. Pure graphene will not bond to a surface, it has to be grafted onto something. The video you gave mentions it briefly at the 32:00 point about graphene oxide, and that's key for Adam's Graphene Ceramic Coating because that's what it is. There is some unreacted graphene in the bottle, that's why it's black, otherwise it would be clear, but it will not affect the coating performance.

The video @Nickfire20 posted above from Pan and Chris from B&B, who actually manufactures graphene-type coatings, is awesome and very informative. I was just about to post it, too, but he beat me to it! 

Here's a link to a bit of the science, and to the SGS 10H hardness test.

https://adamspolishes.com/pages/whats-the-difference-between-graphene-and-traditional-ceramic-coatings#

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0093/8206/8321/files/adams_polishes_10h_hardness_sgs_test_results.pdf?v=1600285835

Bottom line, this is the highest end consumer grade coating Adam's offers. Having applied it multiple times, I can say the results are incredible. And I'll also add they aren't bulletproof, they need to be maintained, and as always, proper prep is everything to help ensure the best results. If you're looking for the best Adam's has to offer, this is it.

Had a few questions about the Graphene line of products. 

1. I still have about 1/2 a 60ml bottle left of Graphene coating and am afraid I didn’t apply it liberally enough to my wife’s Tahoe. If I wanted to do a second coat, should I just prep it with coating prep then re-apply? 

2. Would it be recommended to use the Spray Graphene Coating every year or so to help increase longevity? 

7 hours ago, BrownSunshine said:

Had a few questions about the Graphene line of products. 

1. I still have about 1/2 a 60ml bottle left of Graphene coating and am afraid I didn’t apply it liberally enough to my wife’s Tahoe. If I wanted to do a second coat, should I just prep it with coating prep then re-apply? 

2. Would it be recommended to use the Spray Graphene Coating every year or so to help increase longevity? 

First, welcome! Go post an intro so we can all properly welcome you. Now to your questions.

1. Having 1/2 a bottle left after coating a vehicle that size sounds about right, so I think you're just fine (also assuming you did a full round of proper prep). And more isn't always better. Do you have the UV light? Either way, use it or get one to ensure you got full, even coverage. After all, that's what the UV tracer was added to do. Please understand that with coatings, adding 2+ layers doesn't equate to 2x+ the protection, the law of diminishing returns applies. If I was feeling like you, I'd check with the UV light first before spending the effort for not much gain.

2. You can, but it's not the only option. When/if you do, wash it thoroughly and use a fine grade clay bar, maybe Iron Remover, then Surface Prep and finally coat it. You can also use something like Graphene Detail Spray or CS3 once a week, maybe Ceramic Boost once a month along the way. Really any of the silica-infused products will work to maintain it over and above or in place of the annual spray coating.

On 12/26/2020 at 5:22 PM, falcaineer said:

First, welcome! Go post an intro so we can all properly welcome you. Now to your questions.

1. Having 1/2 a bottle left after coating a vehicle that size sounds about right, so I think you're just fine (also assuming you did a full round of proper prep). And more isn't always better. Do you have the UV light? Either way, use it or get one to ensure you got full, even coverage. After all, that's what the UV tracer was added to do. Please understand that with coatings, adding 2+ layers doesn't equate to 2x+ the protection, the law of diminishing returns applies. If I was feeling like you, I'd check with the UV light first before spending the effort for not much gain.

2. You can, but it's not the only option. When/if you do, wash it thoroughly and use a fine grade clay bar, maybe Iron Remover, then Surface Prep and finally coat it. You can also use something like Graphene Detail Spray or CS3 once a week, maybe Ceramic Boost once a month along the way. Really any of the silica-infused products will work to maintain it over and above or in place of the annual spray coating.

Final question, how long would you estimate that 1/2 a bottle to last now that it’s been open? My old beater isn’t exactly Graphene worthy, I planned on using it on my motorcycle but with the very small surface area of coat-able surfaces, I doubt I’ll use much. I plan on purchasing a new truck sometime within the next 6-12 months and didn’t know if the Graphene would last until then. If not, I may coat my fathers truck to not waste it.