Customer Service 866.965.0400

2020 Bingo Card

Black Bowtie

On 8/11/2020 at 7:23 AM, Black Bowtie said:

Who had Derecho on their 2020 bingo card? We got hit pretty hard here in Iowa yesterday. Just more fun added to the year 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

We had derecho with F1 tornado mixed in for added excitement.  We’re about a mile south of the path. I live in Will County. If you see the word “WILL” on the map (center of the map) we’re in the neighborhood just below that. No damage but we had a bunch of branches and leaves to clean up.

Unfortunately for many of the corn fields near here it’s a total loss as the stalks are snapped at the ground.

EC9C4961-D052-47DD-8A90-6568D870B484.thumb.jpeg.bf2a5b6f1b9392f18df7d92b51733d22.jpeg

I was watching the wind whipping the trees around in the backyard and noticed the debris go from individual leaves to leaf clusters then to branches...😳...yup time to go to the basement. Tornado siren went off as I was going down the stairs.  Lost power for about a minute. My brother lives at the end of the storm’s path. They finally got power back on this afternoon. 

Did I mention the sideways hail?

Edited by Captain Slow

Glad you're safe and home undamaged.  When we had the cluster come through South Carolina two years ago, I was surprised at the damage and how quick it hit.  

Edited by RayS

People here in Iowa still without power a week later. Now with so many working from home it is hard to work when you have no power or internet. Homes and businesses destroyed and over 10 million acres of crops damaged. We had soldiers training in the shop and barely got the overhead doors shut when it hit. More destruction then any tornado has ever done in the state. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/08/14/iowa-derecho-deadly-storm-power-outages-national-guard/5581492002/