Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Boost

MrWalleye73

Question

I followed up my spray graphene coating with Ceramic Boost, 24 hours later, in the shade, at twilight. This morning I noticed it was very streaky under parking lot lights. I had a spare microfiber in the truck and decided I might have missed some in the buffing off stage. I am usually very thorough. I will try some spray detailer first in the affected area this afternoon. What else can I try? And why would it streak? I've used many different spray waxes/coatings etc over the years and this is a first.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

13 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, MrWalleye73 said:

I followed up my spray graphene coating with Ceramic Boost, 24 hours later, in the shade, at twilight. This morning I noticed it was very streaky under parking lot lights. I had a spare microfiber in the truck and decided I might have missed some in the buffing off stage. I am usually very thorough. I will try some spray detailer first in the affected area this afternoon. What else can I try? And why would it streak? I've used many different spray waxes/coatings etc over the years and this is a first.

Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions.

Was it streaking before the CB? I love the CB but have found that it tends to streak for me...i noticed that  less is better.        
 Although i havent used the Graphene CSC i have used the  regular CSC and have had zero streaking.   
 When I use CB, I quickly hit the car with minimal sprays...it tends to looks streaky at this point..then turn the MF over and lightly go around the car again..usally takes car of the streaks.  All on a black car too.  

Just reapply a light most, maybe to the towel directly, and wipe away.

A little goes a long way with Boost, and it could take two towels, one to apply, the other clean one to remove residue. And if your towels haven't been properly cared for - using fabric softener, dyes or perfumes, or the like - they may not be the most absorbent, etc. Two quality plush towels should get the job done, maybe even one.

Let us know.

Ugh.  Boost.  Does anyone truly, truly love Boost?  hahahah!  I don't.  I tolerate it.  I didn't start a thread over it, but I recently ceramic coated my white truck.  I have had the most excellent of results with ceramic spray coating on several occasions, so for this last truck detail, my recipe was one coat of normal ceramic coating and one coat of spray coating.  Truck came up absolutely gorgeous.  I went over it for two days; 50+ hours of cure and inspection time after the spray coating.  Not a blemish.  Then, against my better judgement, I decided to Boost it.  Wrong move.  I swear it muted the finished product and left a streaky blotchy mess (OK, maybe not that dramatic, but certainly visible to the trained eye).  Still regretting my decision, and I won't do it again.  I think I'm removing Boost from my inventory after this last episode.  

I have also found that Boost does not like warmer temps either.  Even if you're in complete shade.  

Thanks for the replies. Yes it did cure over 30 hours which according to the product, the spray graphene,  was well over what was required. Perhaps I did go a bit heavy on the spray but nothing more than i ever used with any other spray product. But each product is different. And yes it did seem to dull it slightly. I've been detailing cars as a hobby for 30 years and this was a more unusual experience. Maybe some other spray coating boost or enhancer works better or maybe use super sparingly. I'm gonna play with it some after the car is cool and completely shaded. I'll try a little quick detailer and go from there. I really did like the graphene application and initial result. And I used the boost after many threads reading about applying it for that last added touch after curing. Live and learn. Worse I can do is strip it all down and start over with something else. 

As other have said a little Ceramic Boost goes a long way and I have found that a little clean water makes a huge difference.  I use the water from my reverse osmosis system and have not had any problems.  I put a couple of short mists of water on the towel itself, then one mist of CB on the towel and then wipe down the panel and go until it starts to feel dry.  Then I go over the area with a separate dry towel.   Then move on to the next area repeating the process.   If the towel I'm using for applying CB becomes too wet, I toss it to the side and grab a new one.

If you happen to get a place that looks like it is streaking, just go over it again using less CB than water and that usually clears it up.  

18 hours ago, MrWalleye73 said:

Well I tried last night and some streaking is gone but the gloss is lacking. I will polish it down this weekend and do something else. Something tried and true. 

I would not recommend polishing it down - you will weaken the coating. Something like a few drops of Brilliant Glaze VERY sparingly will remove the streaking, bring back the gloss, and not hurt the coating.

Ceramic Boost is definitely a tricky product. It needs to be used very sparingly, especially on darker colored finishes. Two very light mist sprays for me on a door panel for example, or spray directly into a plush microfiber like the Borderless Gray or Double Soft. Spread evenly and then use a second clean plush microfiber towel for removal - I always use two towels with Ceramic Boost, and sometimes my removal towel is very slightly damp with water to aid in removal. 

For anyone having trouble or issues with Ceramic Boost streaking, I would recommend to shake the bottle before use, spray it very sparingly, and use two towels for removal. Another option would be to use CS3 as an alternative to Ceramic Boost - it is easier to apply and remove in my opinion, but you may need to use it a little more often than the 1-2 months recommended for Ceramic Boost. 

I think with my current level of dissatisfaction on my recent coating job, I’m gonna run over the surface real easy with Finishing Polish, surface prep, and then re-do the last layer CSC and stop there.  

And I think I’m not necessarily totally bagging on Boost, but it’s more so that the CSC is just that good, anything after it, including Boost, is a step backwards.   

@Dan@Adams Dan, whatcha think about that? I don’t think a light easy polish will damage the base layer of coating. Just get the Boost off and revive what I had. 

I know some of you may love Boost and find it hard to believe, but the difference with just the CSC on top really was that good. 

Polishing will degrade the coating, but it depends on how much you do. Layering CSC on top should work fine to build it back up. And hopefully you maintain with something like CS3, Wash and Coat... something. Or you won't enjoy the coating for as long as otherwise possible.

@falcaineer yea man I agree, but that’s why I said once I do it, I’ll put down another layer of the spray coating.  I’d be hard pressed to believe a very light once over with Finishing Polish is gonna eat away at the existing coating. I’ll be glad to maintain with CS3. But still not a factor.  Even if I do a light polish/Surface Prep/CSC once a year (or even more often than that), I’ll be happy and it’ll be worth it to me.