Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ceramic Coating and Matte Black Plastic stripe

CEGS910

Question

All,

New to the forum and have a couple of quick questions.  My car has taped stripes on it; one set is glossy, the other a Matte Black.  I'm preparing to Ceramic coat the car and want to know whether or not I should coat the Matte Black plastic stripe that runs from the center of the hood up and over the top.  The concern is whether the ceramic coating will have a negative impact on the Matte finish   IMG_3459.thumb.JPG.0363532b5720cd667540e088779297cd.JPG I'm assuming the glossy strip on the fenders will be okay to cover.

5 answers to this question

First, welcome! Beautiful car.

You can coat matte stripes, it won't make them glossy but it will darken them, making them a bit richer in color. Heads up, when you apply it it will look glossy at first...don't worry, they won't be once it cures. Be sure you get an even layer applying it just like the paint in a crosshatch pattern, and remove it sooner than you would on the paint to make sure the residue will come off completely. 

On 8/25/2020 at 8:21 PM, falcaineer said:

You can coat matte stripes, it won't make them glossy but it will darken them, making them a bit richer in color. Heads up, when you apply it it will look glossy at first...don't worry, they won't be once it cures. Be sure you get an even layer applying it just like the paint in a crosshatch pattern, and remove it sooner than you would on the paint to make sure the residue will come off completely. 

Nice GS, OP!

@falcaineer is spot-on.  That's exactly what happened with the matte black stripes on my Shelby. I remain pleased enough with the result over two years later that I immediately coated my C7Z when I got it. These aren't the best shots/angles of the Shelby, but they highlight the stripes...

IMG_9131.jpg

IMG_9152.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

20200423_082008.jpg

No matte stripes here, but the CBF stinger is coated and looks great.

20200703_105040.jpg

Edited by Norton

18 hours ago, Norton said:

Nice GS, OP!

@falcaineer is spot-on.  That's exactly what happened with the matte black stripes on my Shelby. I remain pleased enough with the result over two years later that I immediately coated my C7Z when I got it. These aren't the best shots/angles of the Shelby, but they highlight the stripes...

IMG_9131.jpg

IMG_9152.jpg

IMG_9150.jpg

20200423_082008.jpg

No matte stripes here, but the CBF stinger is coated and looks great.

20200703_105040.jpg

Beautiful cars!  Hope I can get mine looking that good.

2 hours ago, CEGS910 said:

Beautiful cars!  Hope I can get mine looking that good.

There is no doubt that you can and the members of this forum will help you get it there.  Just be patient and willing to experiment and learn.   If you don't have a test panel, stop by your local pick-a-part and grab a small trunk lid, it really helps to practice.  If you are like me and have your kids car to practice on, forget the test panel.