Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze on window tint?

Jlinn1989

Question

4 answers to this question

11 hours ago, BRZN said:

Factory tinted glass go ahead, no problem. I don't use Brilliant Glaze on tint film. The solvent in the Brilliant Glaze will break down the adhesive holding the film to the glass. Ray, I'd say you've been pretty lucky to this point!

Or the 3M UV tint with security is just that good.  I do agree that I wouldn't use any solvent type of a product on the average film tint and especially not the lower end that you can see marks on within a week of application.   

As Dave has mentioned, I don't use Brilliant Glaze on aftermarket tint, only if I need to remove some really stubborn grease, animal saliva, etc in a spot or two. I never apply it to the edge of the window where the tint film ends for the very reason Dave mentions - I do not want it to weaken the adhesive at the edge. Essentially I treat window tint just like vinyl graphics, pinstripes, and racing stripes on paint, I stay away from the edges on those too! One mist of our green Glass Cleaner with a clean Green Glass Towel is usually enough to get a tinted window looking great.

The other potential issue with tint film is that it can be much easier to scratch than plain glass, so if you have even one little piece of grit or dirt in your applicator if you were to apply Brilliant Glaze on tint, you could then scratch it. I did this on my old Trailblazer SS that had some faded and failing tint, as I wanted to see if I could do anything to bring it back a little, and I ended up using too much pressure with the applicator, which happened to catch a piece of dirt from the felt portion of the window track and then scratch the tint.