Customer Service 866.965.0400

Prep for Graphene Spray

Sandalwood

Question

Making sure I have this right..

For trim and headlights you need to use the trim cleaner first and follow up with the surface prep.

And for painted surfaces you would clay/polsih as normal and then finish with only the surface prep?

Whats the process for glass?

Thanks!

Edited by Sandalwood

6 answers to this question

Glass can be as easy as claying.  Polishing glass will be like an exfoliation to remove road grime and get the glass clean and free of any prior protection as well. Follow up with a panel wipe and you are good to coat. 

During your polishing process you can finish up by polishing the glass. 

The Guz nailed it ^^^^. 

If you clay the glass, I would recommend using Glass Cleaner as the clay lubricant, rather than Detail Spray. 

For the exterior trim, yep I would use the Trim Cleaner on black plastic trim, clean it at least twice. Then I would go back over it again with Surface Prep two times, to make sure that it is 100% clean. With textured plastic, once you apply the coating, it cannot really be removed, so you must have it as clean as possible first. You MUST also level and wipe away the coating from plastic trim to ensure that it does not leave any type of white residue afterward.

For headlights, I would Clay, Compound (optional if needed), Polish, Surface Prep, and then coat. The Trim Cleaner is not necessary for headlights.

For paint, you're correct in that you would clay, Compound (optional if needed), Polish, Surface Prep, and then coat - same as headlights 👍 

On 9/11/2020 at 3:10 PM, Dan@Adams said:

You MUST also level and wipe away the coating from plastic trim to ensure that it does not leave any type of white residue afterward.

So, this is different than with the CSC huh?  When I did the CSC on my trim on my truck, one of the pro tips was that it did not need to be leveled on plastic and trim surfaces.  Can you elaborate on why this is different?  I'm just curious because I am about to reapply in a month with the new Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating.

Edited by stalebreadjr

15 hours ago, stalebreadjr said:

So, this is different than with the CSC huh?  When I did the CSC on my trim on my truck, one of the pro tips was that it did not need to be leveled on plastic and trim surfaces.  Can you elaborate on why this is different?  I'm just curious because I am about to reapply in a month with the new Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating.

8 hours ago, BRZN said:

Level both Spray Coatings on trim; Ceramic Spray Coating and the new Graphene Spray Coating. By leveling you'll minimize the chance of a chalky appearance to the trim.

What Dave said ^^^^.

Plastics from different manufacturers can react differently, especially depending on the prep work that was involved to remove any previous dressings and so on. Some customers have been experiencing a small amount of white chalky appearance on certain trims if you do not level and wipe it away, so I agree with Dave in that you should level and wipe any of our coatings on plastic trim just to be safe.

What Dave and Dan said above and it can even be different between series and models.   The Chevy Colorado and Chevy Silverado have different characteristics on their parts.  The Ford F-150 can have differences between the XL, Lariat and Limited in some places.   I've learned to not take chances and always level, especially on front air dams and anything that is black plastic on the bumper or pickup boxes.

One more piece of advice, the prep can do some weird things to some of the plastic pieces.  I've found that Adam's Prep is more forgiving than the home mixes, if nothing else it is always consistent, so I've given up on mixing my own.  Regardless of the prep used, I always do a test spot on plastic parts and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, that look or feel different just to make sure there won't be any oddities.