Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tips & Guidance for Ceramic Coating prep, application and maintenance with recommended product sku's

gmilo

Question

I'm looking to apply ceramic coatings on my 2014 Tesla Model S, 2014 Ferrari 458 Spider and 2020 McLaren 720S.    I'm a bit confused on the specifics for the required sample preparation , what specific ceramic coating is newest/best and how to apply and maintain including the recommended Adam's SKU#'s for all products and tools needed for application, etc.    Would be great if there was a full kit available?    What is 'paint correction' and how do I know if this is needed?   If needed, what product SKU's are required?

I"m an amateur with zero experience so trying to decide if I can do this myself or if I need to take my cars to a local detail shop.   

Thanks

Greg

Edited by gmilo

4 answers to this question

Hi Greg and welcome to the Forum.

I consider myself an amateur even though I've been doing this as a hobby for more years than most could imagine.  The one thing that I do know is that I can learn anything, even if it takes me a few tries to get it right.   According to your level of acceptance of risk, you can can any of the vehicles you listed and start the learning process.  I'll be honest and tell you that I would recommend a beater or daily driver and that you can bring back to life and truly learn on.   The process is not that difficult, it just take time to implement and perfect the technique that works best for you.

As for which product to use that comes down to your goal or goals.    If all your vehicles happen to be White, I would not even recommend ceramic or graphene, but would recommend H20 Guard and Guard.  I have yet to find anything that can make a white vehicle look as good as what HGG  can do.   If your vehicles are black, then that requires a whole different discipline, between the daughters Jaguar and the Roush Mustang, the were closer to a punishment based on the amount effort, but they sure did look great when done.  Both of them ended up with Ceramic on them, one Ceramic Spray Coating and other Ceramic Wax

Give me multiple Red vehicles and there is no doubt that they will have Ceramic or Graphene on them.  All of my Red vehicles currently have Ceramic Spray Coating on them and going forward they will have Graphene.  Even the body parts on the motorcycle are ceramic coated and in case you are wondering, yes it is Red.    The application of the coating is very easy, it is the preparation of the vehicle that requires the attention to detail, effort and commitment of time.  There are some excellent video's on Adam's Youtube channel and I'll recommend checking out some of them to get an idea of what is involved.

Beyond that ask questions, there are many helpful voices on this forum.

Thank you Ray.   I was going to ‘practice’ on my sons Black Kia before getting serious  on my dark blue Tesla, grey Ferrari  and white McLaren.   How does one k ow whether clay is needed for prep?  And what exactly is ‘paint correction’ and when is it needed (my cars have always been garaged)?

thanks!

Edited by gmilo

Good advice from @RayS above.

And that's quite a lineup of cars...let's see some pics!

Paint correction means using polish and/or compound to reduce swirls and scratches, remove oxidation, and take out other irregularities in your paint. As I like to always say, true shine comes from proper paint correction, the rest is enhancement and protection. I'll link a video below from Adam on the process.

To know if clay is needed, use the baggie test. First, rub your fingers lightly over a spot on your car, someplace like the hood or trunk. Now, put your hand in a Ziploc bag and very lightly do the same thing in the same area. Feel those bumps? Those are bonded contaminants on your clear coat. Clay, in addition to Iron Remover, will remove them and make your paint super smooth.

To help you decide on protection, check out this forum article