Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to strip ceramic boost

Sam Y

Question

A few times I used ceramic boost and didn't wipe it off correctly. Now it has streaking that has been on for months. I want to keep the ceramic coat underneath (Cquartz Pro) so my plan was to wash, clay, and lightly polish it with Adam's hand polishing compound and blue hex polisher. Then I would wipe it down, use Adam's surface prep, and spray on a graphene coating.

My question is, is this a good idea? Will the hand polish or surface prep also take away my Cquartz coating?

15 answers to this question

Found the answer in a search. Basically one has to use brilliant glaze to get it off. I don't have an adams retailer nearby so I just went out and got Meguiar's #7 Mirror Glaze. Worked fine.

I am glad I didn't go through the trouble of polishing and possibly removing my ceramic coat.

Brilliant glaze is a great little tool. I just went through this very same ordeal after a less than good experience with Boost (and my final experience with Boost; it is removed from my arsenal). Except I had full intentions of reapplying another top layer of ceramic spray.  If you can get your hands on a bottle of the old Finishing Polish, it is the cats meow.  I did a light once over with that, surface prep, and spray coat. My finish is right back to perfection.  I also highly doubt the light use of the Finishing polish did much damage if any to the underlying ceramics.  

23 minutes ago, galaxy said:

Brilliant glaze is a great little tool. I just went through this very same ordeal after a less than good experience with Boost (and my final experience with Boost; it is removed from my arsenal). Except I had full intentions of reapplying another top layer of ceramic spray.  If you can get your hands on a bottle of the old Finishing Polish, it is the cats meow.  I did a light once over with that, surface prep, and spray coat. My finish is right back to perfection.  I also highly doubt the light use of the Finishing polish did much damage if any to the underlying ceramics.  

Most of my mistakes involve using too much or too little substance. It helps to watch the Adam's videos ahead of time as they greatly show how to use the product. I find the directions on the bottle very vague which, let's be honest, is not their fault.

I had to do the exact same thing to my hood just now because I messed up the hand polish step on the ppf portion. Clay -> hand polish -> surface prep -> graphene ceramic spray. Let's see how it does- I already tried the graphene spray and it didn't do so well in my measurements. I am sure I am doing something wrong.

I agree with you- Ceramic boost is one of those products that I try out and am sorely disappointed. It's not worth the time or the money. I only used it on the horizontal portions of my car and usually within a week the dust gets to it and hydrophobicity is lost. The best bet is to just keep the surface clean so my original CQuartz can do its job.

Yeah, I’ve been around quite a while, and been a loyal Adam’s guy long before any of the ceramics and the Boost were introduced.  It has been a love/hate product ever since the beginning.  Ironically, I had better luck with the original formula than I do the 2.0.  Guess I just learned what worked for me. Different strokes. Overall, it’s just not an enjoyable product. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t arbitrarily feel every single product should be totally effort free, but Boost is whack. The results are never repeatable for me and I’m just done with it. I would have thought with the love/hate you see on the forums over Boost, more effort would be put into a better product, but maybe not. 

But knowing these guys, I’d bet some maintenance product for the graphine, other than graphine detail spray, is on the way.  Which may make this whole debate moot anyways.  If I were a betting man.....

On 9/22/2020 at 11:03 PM, galaxy said:

Yeah, I’ve been around quite a while, and been a loyal Adam’s guy long before any of the ceramics and the Boost were introduced.  It has been a love/hate product ever since the beginning.  Ironically, I had better luck with the original formula than I do the 2.0.  Guess I just learned what worked for me. Different strokes. Overall, it’s just not an enjoyable product. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t arbitrarily feel every single product should be totally effort free, but Boost is whack. The results are never repeatable for me and I’m just done with it. I would have thought with the love/hate you see on the forums over Boost, more effort would be put into a better product, but maybe not. 

But knowing these guys, I’d bet some maintenance product for the graphine, other than graphine detail spray, is on the way.  Which may make this whole debate moot anyways.  If I were a betting man.....

Jon, if you're done with Ceramic Boost, I would recommend to try Graphene Detail Spray or CS3 for maintenance. Use either one sparingly - a few light mists, panel by panel. 

On 9/24/2020 at 8:47 AM, Dan@Adams said:

Jon, if you're done with Ceramic Boost, I would recommend to try Graphene Detail Spray or CS3 for maintenance. Use either one sparingly - a few light mists, panel by panel. 

Been using CS3 for a while now anyways, and just got my first bottle of the graphine detail spray to test out!!

14 hours ago, galaxy said:

Been using CS3 for a while now anyways, and just got my first bottle of the graphine detail spray to test out!!

You're going to be amazed.  My white Vette went from shiny to looking like I had the whole thing clear coated with glass!  

I've been using the CS3 on my white Vette, and when I got the Graphene Detail Spray, I wiped it down with that.  I couldn't believe the difference. The Graphene Spray was what made it look like heavy clear coat and wet and deep. Went to a cruise in and had a bunch of guys who know me come up and ask me what I did. It was that noticeable.  

I’ve had good and bad experiences with Boost,  I think my bad, were because it lasts so long and on my garaged tahoe, the stuff built up too much.  Where as when I first got my beater Silverado, I clayed and boosted half the truck, and it beaded and was shiny for over 8 months.

CS3 is an awesome product, I really love it, works so well, it has removed the streaks from the boost!

and for the Graphene DS, I hope to try it here in a couple days,  can’t wait!

I've had good luck with Boost, especially when I learned to use very little and keep a bottle of purified water to mist on the panel if it start streaking.  I also dampen the towel with a couple of mists of water before starting.

Now with CS3 and the Graphene DS that I was able to try yesterday, I'm not sure I'll be using Boost nearly as much.  It isn't that Boost is bad product, but I like the results better from CS3 and the panels I did yesterday with Graphene DS.  

There are a couple of side uses for Boost that don't require any special prep or worry about streaking.  Putting Boost on your shovel will keep things from sticking, but it also lets things slide off real easy.  The other place is under the deck on the lawn mowers, the grass does not stick at all and if the grass is still damp or wet from dew or rain, it doesn't matter.

Boost requires a little skill to work with and you have to be careful not to let it dry. It has to be done on a clean surface and I just don't have enough time to wash + boost, especially (to me) it seems to only last a week or two. It's nice to use on the horizontal surfaces of my car when I have some free time but usually just not worth it. Bear in mind my car is parked outside so all sorts of stuff get on it.

Like others have said, this product is going into the circular bin. It took hours trying to remove it from my vehicle. Glad I found this post to help me with what to do to get it off. It's been on the car for a couple months and after a wash the car looks horrible due to all the spots it left behind.