Customer Service 866.965.0400

Fix black trim help

Kickerz71

Question

Hi everyone,

I was prepping my truck for the coming winter and wanted to give my trim a coating of ceramic black trim restorer and then coat it with Graphene Coating Spray.

I cleaned the surface with Tire Cleaner and hit it with surface prep.

Coated with ceramic black trim restorer, I waited maybe a few hours then gave the entire truck a coating of the Graphene Spray Coating. 

Now a few weeks later all my black trim is looking faded, I even see the rub marks from when I applied the coatings.

I don't know what when wrong but it seems combining these products didn't work well for me, advise on how to fix please.

8 answers to this question

12 hours ago, falcaineer said:

Any pics, Eric? Sounds to me like the coating was applied but not leveled/wiped after application on the trim (needs to be done despite what the instructions may say). Standing by...

You may be correct. This is on a 2019 the black is worse after the treatment.
How do you suggest I try to correct this?

Thanks in advace. 

Bumper.jpg

10 hours ago, Chris@Adams said:

Once you applied the Spray Coating on your trim did you go back over it to level like you would on your paint?

I would say that's probably your problem you must level any of our coatings that are applied to any surface.

That may have been the step i missed

Can you please assist on how to correct this?

Had the same thing happen to my wife's gen 5 Camaro. Every time I'd wash the car, after I noticed how the front plastic grill and real valance looked, I'd scrub them clean with either Tire & Rubber Cleaner or APC using a Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush in the grill and the Tire Scrub Brush on the rear valance. Over time it's been coming off. I applied the Ceramic Paint Coating to the plastics December of 2019. The original Trim Coating didn't need leveled, the updated Coatings do, as others above mentioned. The coatings are tough stuff and not easily removed. After several good scrubbings I was able to make the plastics look fairly okay with Ceramic Boost after washing.