Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Cover

Allbrant

Question

10 answers to this question

Outside or inside?  For an extended length of time or one you are going to be taking off and on daily?  Car covers can be cruel to paint, especially if they're outdoors in the wind and elements.  Even when they're cars that are stored in a garage for winter months,  you want to invest in a good cover.  One thing I've done for nearly 20 years when I store my Vettes for the winter is to put a soft cover on first, underneath the actual car cover.  I got two soft microfiber/fleece/flannel (not sure exactly what it is but it's soft) flat sheets and had my wife sew the short ends together then I lay that  over the car before putting the car cover on.  That way, no seams, loose stitching, hardened fabric comes in contact with my paint.  In the spring and warmer months, after the winter cover comes off, I'll use the soft one just to lay over top of the car after detailing to keep the dust off.  Plus it just goes right into the washer and dryer to keep it clean.  Works well. 

Welcome to the forum.

My recommendation would be to not put anything the vehicle that would touch the body surface for 24 hours.  With the amount of effort that goes into putting a coating on the vehicle, the last thing that I would want to happen is a mark from a cover that rubs before it is fully cured.   A pine needle or a leaf falling on it when partially cured is far less of a concern than a cover rubbing in the breeze.

I would recommend not using an exterior car cover. I've had one for years before I was able to afford a garage and all sorts of stuff (pollen, dust) gets between the cover and the car. It really just protects the car from the sunlight and possibly water damage. The surface wasn't too badly marred but once you have a huge gust of wind and the cover is half blown off you'll regret it.