Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering and Cleaning Order

mamoore9

Question

I've been doing alot of research from all of the knowledgeable folks here and think I have a good plan in place, but its a bit like drinking form a fire hose so figured I'd do a sanity check. About to dive in and do a full detail on my 2018 Ram 1500 and wanted to make sure I had used the right products in the right order. The following is what I was planning. Please let me know if something is out of order or incorrect. Greatly appreciate all the info and help so far!

1. Use combinations of WTC and APC on wheels and wheel wells

2. Use strip wash to remove base sealants and waxes

3. IR after rinsing strip wash, followed by rinse

3a. Apply VRT to all trim

4. Clay bar all non plastic/vinyl surfaces with detail spray as lubricant

5. Strip wash and dry

6. Hand Polish on all painted surfaces

7. Liquid Paint Sealant on all painted surfaces

8. HGG using damp and dry cloth 

9. Brilliant Glaze (Also interior windows after clean)

10. Clean exterior windows and apply window sealant 

11. VRT tires

Where would chrome bumpers factor into this, as far as what products I could apply to help seal?

Edited by mamoore9

6 answers to this question

Hi @mamoore9 and welcome to the forum!

Your order of operations looks great there, but step 5 (a second strip wash) isn't 100% necessary unless you want peace of mind. Usually I will just use a microfiber towel to wipe away the Detail Spray residue from claying, or you could rinse with water and then dry with the Ultra Plush Drying Towel. 

After applying and wiping away the hazed Liquid Paint Sealant, we would recommend waiting at least 1 hour before applying anything else on top of it like H2O Guard & Gloss in step 8. Usually I will wait until the next wash to apply H2O Guard - make sure to apply it to the wheels to so that they have some protection and are a little easier to clean brake dust afterward. While mentioning wheels, make sure that they are cool to the touch before spraying WTC onto one wheel at a time, as it is a very strong chemical - do not let it dry onto the wheel either.

For the chrome bumpers, Strip Wash is safe to wash them (or any of our shampoos). If the chrome has heavy bug gut build-up, I like to use our Aerosol Glass Cleaner to foam up the chrome and soften up the bug guts some. You can then protect them with Paint Sealant and H2O Guard just like the paint! If there is any textured black trim built into the chrome bumpers like step areas, make sure to keep the Paint Sealant off of those areas to prevent any possible white discoloration to the plastic.

Let us know if you have any other questions! :)

Apply the VRT to the trim prior to your hand polishing, after use of the clay bar and any washing of the vehicle.

Your step 5, just use regular Car Shampoo

You really don't need to apply the Brilliant Glaze to the paint after you've used the Paint Sealant and HGG. I feel the benefit achieved in added gloss isn't worth the product removing some of the protection. I would however still use it on the chrome and glass.

On 11/7/2020 at 4:58 AM, BRZN said:

Apply the VRT to the trim prior to your hand polishing, after use of the clay bar and any washing of the vehicle.

Your step 5, just use regular Car Shampoo

You really don't need to apply the Brilliant Glaze to the paint after you've used the Paint Sealant and HGG. I feel the benefit achieved in added gloss isn't worth the product removing some of the protection. I would however still use it on the chrome and glass.

Thanks for the added recommendations. I was thinking it may be overkill with the BG. I may just save it for chrome and glass on the vehicles then.