Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Standard Step Stool

Bscott94

Question

Can someone that owns this step stool expalin these measurements? I would think the length and width would stay the same, or maybe a little shorter with the legs not spread. Can someone tell me what the length and width of the working surface is and how tall it is when it's set up? 

image.png.5dbd4693b9845b832d589f41a5409918.png

15 answers to this question

Hi Brandon, I agree the way those dimensions are listed are a little confusing!

What it means by Working Area is the physical amount of space it will take up when not folded. The standing/working platform is 38" long and 12" wide, but the legs angle outward to make the overall end-to-end footprint 50" long. With the legs extended and set up, the standing/working height is 20" tall. 

I ran out to the garage and took some pics. They're not great, but you can see what it's like opened up and the measurements.  Hope it helps you.  The second pic, there's a smaller stool underneath the Adam's stool, but I think  you can see the Adam's stool okay.  Didn't feel like moving the car for a better pic.  These things are a necessity if you have a truck or SUV.  If it's something  you're considering, I wouldn't hesitate. They're a great addition and a lot better than the small stool I had before. Oh, and there are steps on the legs so you don't have to "jump" un 20" to get on it.

100_3358.JPG

100_3361.JPG

13 hours ago, Rich said:

I ran out to the garage and took some pics. They're not great, but you can see what it's like opened up and the measurements.  Hope it helps you.  The second pic, there's a smaller stool underneath the Adam's stool, but I think  you can see the Adam's stool okay.  Didn't feel like moving the car for a better pic.  These things are a necessity if you have a truck or SUV.  If it's something  you're considering, I wouldn't hesitate. They're a great addition and a lot better than the small stool I had before. Oh, and there are steps on the legs so you don't have to "jump" un 20" to get on it.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I've got a detail on a large vehicle coming up the first week of December. I know I'm going to need something to reach the roof and maybe the tops of the windows. I'm hoping to find something local I can compare to see what I feel comfortable with. The Adam's one looks really solid. And I like the grip tape on this one. I don't think any others that I've seen have that. 

It works great. I'll add a caveat to be careful on garage floors and other slick surfaces because it can sometimes slide, especially when you're reaching out and changing your body angle. I'm looking for something to add a little more grip to the feet, unless someone else has an idea (I'm all ears!). It's sturdy, though, and I'm happy to have it in my arsenal.

1 hour ago, falcaineer said:

It works great. I'll add a caveat to be careful on garage floors and other slick surfaces because it can sometimes slide, especially when you're reaching out and changing your body angle. I'm looking for something to add a little more grip to the feet, unless someone else has an idea (I'm all ears!). It's sturdy, though, and I'm happy to have it in my arsenal.

Have you tried gasket rubber?  Sometimes they call it red rubber gasket, but it's sold in sheets and it's cheap and works.  Or I found these at Home Depot.  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-2-in-Anti-Skid-Pads-8-Pack-9971/202514361   or these  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-2-in-Brown-Smooth-Rubber-Furniture-Cups-4-per-Pack-89076/100190187  I just have a bare concrete floor in my garage, and a paved driveway, so my stool doesn't slide.  But I can see where it might on painted floors.  

I ordered the stool. It's very sturdy and would have been a great addition to my garage. It was beat up when I received it though. Powdercoating was scratched off and it was starting to rust. Once of the brackets that attached to the leg was bent and scratched off a bunch of powdercoating the first time I opened it. I emailed customer service and they provided a return label. I said I'd like a replacement if this is not normal for the stools but I guess it's the normal condition for them since they just provided a return label. I'm pretty disappointed because this seems like it is way better than a cheap version from Home Depot or similar. 

Edit: I printed the Return Authorization to fill out and it looks like I have the option to have it replaced. I'll try that option. Hopefully the new one can arrive by Dec 4 since I'm detailing a huge car (pictures to come). 

Edited by Bscott94

That's not the usual for Adam's.  But I'm trying to remember if mine came directly from Adam's, or if it was shipped by the manufacturer.  Either way, Fed Ex leaves a LOT to be desired when it comes to package handling, as does UPS.  My wife will use mail when she ships packages to our kids out of state. Costs about as much, and takes longer.  But they seem to handle things a little better.  But she also used to work at a UPS Store and knows how to properly package things so they don't get broken.   Sorry that happened to you.  Hope the next one arrives in tip top shape.   Oh, and wife says to print off another label and put it inside the box when you ship it back.  Double protection. 

8 hours ago, Rich said:

Oh, and wife says to print off another label and put it inside the box when you ship it back.  Double protection. 

Good tip. I dropped it off last night and didn't do that but I'll remember to do that with future things I have to ship. I'm hoping the next one is in good shape and arrives before the 4th. The box had definitely been beat around. I was a little surprised at the lack of packaging. The stool was just in a plastic bag and it seemed like the box was a smidge too small. It would be nice to have a little bit of paper stuffing to protect it a little more. 

I will say, mine was damaged in shipment as well.  It was obvious it was due to the handling of the product and the fact that the box it comes in is not padded.   I didn't send mine back as it was still functional but it was much like above, the red lock was bent and let me tell u that is a sturdy part so it took a lot of effort to damage it by fedex.  

10 hours ago, stalebreadjr said:

I will say, mine was damaged in shipment as well.  It was obvious it was due to the handling of the product and the fact that the box it comes in is not padded.   I didn't send mine back as it was still functional but it was much like above, the red lock was bent and let me tell u that is a sturdy part so it took a lot of effort to damage it by fedex.  

I just felt that for the amount paid, I should be the one to damage it. I'll keep the replacement that comes. I just hope it's in better condition. This is the first item that I've gotten from Adam's that wasn't packed that well. I assume Adam's receives them already boxed up though so it's not really thier fault. 

On 12/2/2020 at 8:01 AM, Bscott94 said:

I just felt that for the amount paid, I should be the one to damage it. I'll keep the replacement that comes. I just hope it's in better condition. This is the first item that I've gotten from Adam's that wasn't packed that well. I assume Adam's receives them already boxed up though so it's not really thier fault. 

Like I said, I'm not sure Adam's actually gets them.  I think they may come right from the manufacturer. 

I personally think that shipment and lack of Styrofoam or some kind of padding in the box was the issue for me.  That stool is pretty stout and i can't imagine any scenario where adams personnel would send the box out in the state mine arrived in.   And I definitely agree that finding it damaged, not by me, was disappointing lol.