Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Coating Questions - static & dust

AZSteve

Question

I am very interested and excited about purchasing and applying the new graphene coating and would like some feedback on application and anti-static properties. 

I live in AZ which is a very dusty environment and my truck is Ford Magma Red (Root Beer color), and this combination of environment and color is driving me nuts as an OCD hobbyist detailer, as I swear it is even tougher to maintain than black. I like to try different products and currently have Jescar PowerLock on my truck (sorry Adams), and while it is veerry slick it doesn't last and still attracts dust. How is Adams Graphene Coating on anti-static properties and dusty environments? Also the sun here destroys or degrades everything and is brutal so UV protection is important to me. 

To continue with the dust theme and issues, does it need to be applied in a very very clean environment to apply and cure? I have a home garage that is closed, but it is not 100% sealed or completely dust-free. I understand the product takes 24 hours to completely cure, but I am wondering if it will cure enough after applying not to become "contaminated", or if I need a nearly sterile environment to apply it in? 

The temps here this time of year are around 65F for the highs, will this product be ok to apply in that environment. 

Pic attached for reference on color. 

Thank you 

IMG_20200725_085740.jpg

2 answers to this question

That's a fantastic color!  As for the Graphene, I don't think there are any products anywhere that completely repel dust. But I've found the Graphene does a pretty good job on my black Equinox.  I get some dust naturally, but not nearly like I did with using Carnuba.  

I agree with Rich - our Graphene Ceramic Coating isn't going to repel dust or be completely anti-static, but it will provide excellent protection and gloss to the paint, glass, etc. To me, I'm not a chemist, but wiping a static-charged microfiber towel onto the surface of the vehicle sometimes seems to leave a charge on the surface that might attract more dust, so I hold two corners of the towel and give the towel a quick snap to try to discharge any static before use - you'll notice this most after pulling a clean towel out of the dryer.

UV protection mostly comes from UV inhibitors in the clear coat of the vehicle, so applying protection on top of that allows the clear coat to last longer and do its job. A ceramic coating or graphene ceramic coating is going to provide much more protection than a sealant or wax, for a longer period of time, so it would be your best bet for UV protection. 

As far as application, you don't need a sterile clean room to apply, but an enclosed garage is strongly encouraged (required) to apply the full Graphene Ceramic Coating in the 60ml bottle. This is to ensure more even temperature and humidity during application, while being in the shade. Applying inside of a garage will also remove any moisture issues and allow the coating to cure properly. The Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating can be applied outdoors, since it only requires a 4-hour cure time, but we would still recommend to apply it in a garage if you can.

I've applied in the 50-80F range, so 65F would be great (I did two vehicles this past week with Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating, in the evenings at 62F in my garage). If a slight amount of dust builds up during the 24-hour cure time, I simply use a little amount of Graphene Detail Spray and a Single Soft or Borderless Gray Towel to wipe off the vehicle after that first 24 hours. The vehicle can get wet after 24 hours, but we recommend that you do not wash the vehicle with any soap until 5-7 days after application.

If you have not applied a ceramic coating before, don't be discouraged when you find high-spots, which are streaks or areas of the coating where you did not wipe it away fully. I like to coat a panel or half-panel at a time. Temperature and humidity will determine how long the coating needs to flash (rainbow) on the surface before being removed with two microfiber towels. Once the rainbow begins to fade, the coating usually has some tension or tacky feel on the surface, and this is when you want to wipe it off. I use one towel to spread and smear the coating, wiping away about 50% of it, then I use a second towel to wipe away the remainder on the panel. When I'm finished coating the vehicle, I like to briefly move the vehicle outside into the sun to spot-check it. If you catch the high-spots quickly enough, a drop or two extra of the Graphene Coating onto the applicator and then reapplying to the high-spot and immediately wiping it off should resolve the issue. If the high-spot has cured for a few hours, a few drops of Brilliant Glaze will usually remove the high-spot fairly easy. Once you've spot-checked the whole vehicle, move it back inside to cure for the remainder of the 24 hours 👍