Customer Service 866.965.0400

Graphene Spray Streaking on Headlights?

MichaelJ

Question

Hello Adams! I'm very excited to enter the Adams family after having used many products from different companies I think I found 1 source for it all. I am testing the graphene spray on the wheels, hood, fender, and headlights to see if I want to use it on entire vehicle after I detail after the winter. Applied per instructions on a claybar surface with applicator pad. I let the graphene spray flash for 2-3 minutes (40-50 deg dry weather) and buffed out. I noticed a rainbow streak over the headlights of my new vehicle that won't go away - I tried the method of applying more graphene spray via applicator pad to "activate" for 30 sec to 1 min and then buff out but no change. 

I ordered some brilliant glaze to try, but not hopeful. Any other tips for headlights specifically? The forum discussion for the graphene states that the headlights are porous surface so it shouldn't flash rainbow at all so I'm confused at what I'm seeing. 

Thanks for your help!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_26cb.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_26c8.jpg

7 answers to this question

First, welcome!

The method to apply and reactivate is done quickly, as in apply and immediately wipe away, don't wait.

If that doesn't work, and it may be too long now to try BG, you can try to polish it by applying a few drops of Polish to a Plush microfiber towel like a borderless grey laid flat, and use your whole hand to lightly rub the high spots until they disappear. If that doesn't work, move up to a white foam pad and Polish with the machine. You can keep moving up to Compound, but I'd be surprised if one of the previous steps don't get you there. 

Welcome to the Forum Michael.   

Headlights can be a finicky thing to work with between the different materials the vendor use and the amount of contaminants that they end up in contact with.  @falcaineergave some good advise and you can also use #0000 steel wool on them just like you would your windshield.  The regular white toothpaste, not any of the gel's can be used as a compound with or without the #0000 steel wool.

First off, Welcome Michael!

Not sure what is causing the rainbow on the headlights, but a mild polish should remove it.

I have not used the Graphene Spray, but I know that coatings do not adhere well to headlights that have not had the factory clear removed.  

Just wanted to add - that does look like excessive "rainbowing" from the coating, but if you wiped it off after 2-3 minutes, that should not have happened, as the spray coatings are much easier to work with than the full coatings in the glass bottle.

A lot of modern headlights will appear to have this rainbow look at certain angles due to the type of plastic and clear coat used on them (and possibly from how they are polished), but not as excessive as your pictures, so this leads me to believe the coating may not have been wiped away fully. Do you see this on any other painted or glass areas of the vehicle? My 2006 GTO and my 2016 SS both have some appearance of rainbow to the headlight lens from the factory. You will see it even more if you look at them with polarized sunglasses or take a picture with a polarized lens on a camera. 

Wow!  what a great community and thanks for the welcome. I took advantage of the black friday sale and have a SK 15mm and polish kit on the way. I tried the brilliant glaze today - that combined with a little time and driving seems to have slightly diminished the rainbow of the headlights. Difficult to tell because today was sunnier than the overcast day from the photos. I will try the small drops of polish next when it gets here.  

Couple of clarifications:

1. Yes I did try the instant re-activation method initially as per the Adams videos when I saw the rainbow after I wiped everything off after 2 minutes. Then I read on the FAQ that I should have let the re-activation have more time but I may have misread that or it was for the graphene ceramic coat, not the spray. 

2. I was surprised by the headlights too - I definitely re-wiped vigorously and I had a timer on my watch to keep me honest. \

On the side note, my gloss black wheels and hood where I am testing the spray are looking fantastic! Will report back results. 

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!