Customer Service 866.965.0400

One Step Polish Hazing Over

TR6speed

Question

I am in the process of getting the paint ready for a coat of Ceramic Spray coating I applied the original CSC about 6 month ago and wanted to reapply it so I want to remove the old coat.  I used the One Step Polish and the One Step pad on my Swirl Killer.  I have been using Adams products almost from the beginning of his company so this is not a first time use.  Yesterday I spent polishing while I have not completed the entire car yet (will today) I noticed that I am seeing a haze or fog look on the hood.  I have completed the hood, top of front fenders, roof, rear deck and the left rear fender and drivers door.  the hood is the only area that is doing this.  I worked the polish completely and then I switched pads from the One Step to the black and I laid a micro fiber polishing towel on the car and then the Swirl killer with the black pad on the towel and buffed the polish off completely.  I have used the method for years with no trouble.  Again this seems to only be on the hood and I have never had this happen before.  

Any ideas or do you think when I wipe the car down with the ceramic prep and then apply the UV ceramic coating I will be OK?

3 answers to this question

Hard to tell without pics what exactly you have. But the One Step pad is actually the most aggressive pad Adam's sells, it generates a lot of heat since it's a wool and microfiber blend. And it can cause a haze, like Compound and microfiber can, if used too aggressively. 

Quick question, which version of One Step did you use? The old with some silica, or the newer without? It'll say in the description on the bottle if you're unsure.

If you simply wipe it down and coat, you may lock in the haze so let's try to fix it first.

I know it's one step, but have you tried white Polish and white foam to finish?

That is exactly what I did.  After breakfast I went out and got out the trusty Polish and white foam pad and redid the hood and it corrected the issue even though the other area I had completed did not appear to have any hazing, I redid them with the polish and white pad.  I actually believe it brought out a better shine then the One Step.  Ceramic UV is on and now I will let it cure over night and tomorrow I will apply the boost.

Thanks for your reply

Glad that worked.

Hard to tell exactly why it hazed in some spots and not others. May have been pressure (easier to apply more on horizontal surfaces than vertical, intentionally or not), number of passes, work time variances, repaint?, or maybe just easier to see in some areas than others. 

One Step is a really good polish. But as a one step it's not going to be as good as a dedicated product. Sort of like a Swiss Army knife. If also won't finish as fine as Polish, it's more of a middle 75% or so solution. Plus the pad can take some getting used to. The older version with added silica also had a tendency to haze/halo, and was removed in the current version as a result.