Customer Service 866.965.0400

Americana Paste Wax: your thoughts....

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't recommend it, especially if the surface of the car is hot. Ideally you should apply this in the shade while the car is cool to the touch, otherwise the residue may be quite difficult to remove.

Remember, paste is a solid while it's in the jar. You only temporarily turn it into a liquid so you can apply it to the car. Once on the car it will want to turn back into a solid again pretty quickly. If the surface is hot or in the sun, it will solidify even quicker, making it difficult to remove. This is the complete opposite of a liquid wax. Buttery Wax is already a liquid in the bottle, that's why it needs a cure time once applied to the car so it can form the protective layer on top of your paint. Because the liquid needs time to solidify, applying it in the sun is safe®.

Edited by GerryC

After MSW I did 2 thin coats of Americana, then after letting it cure a few hours I wiped everything down with DS / MFT.

Result was a deeper shine, compared to before (Turtle Wax Ice) it looked more like you poured water over it. A deep wet look.

Another Adam's product that really does what it claims. :cheers:

I wouldn't recommend it, especially if the surface of the car is hot. Ideally you should apply this in the shade while the car is cool to the touch, otherwise the residue may be quite difficult to remove.

Remember, paste is a solid while it's in the jar. You only temporarily turn it into a liquid so you can apply it to the car. Once on the car it will want to turn back into a solid again pretty quickly. If the surface is hot or in the sun, it will solidify even quicker, making it difficult to remove. This is the complete opposite of a liquid wax. Buttery Wax is already a liquid in the bottle, that's why it needs a cure time once applied to the car so it can form the protective layer on top of your paint. Because the liquid needs time to solidify, applying it in the sun is safe®.

hmm I guess I read it on the buttery wax then. Thanks for clearing that up!

Mine hasn't pitted, I've used and washed it about 5 times so far. The only problem I've had with it was the first 2 times when I guess I didn't wash it thoroughly enough. When it dried completely and I went to grab it, a crap-ton of dusty residue flew out, almost like when you squeeze the bottle of talcum powder. I'd like to have an extra app just in case

Anyone besides me having a problem with the applicator pad pitting? Mine is definitely not smooth anymore.

When can we buy them seperately Adam?

I noticed today that holes are forming in mine like it is slowly disintegrating, it's only the second time I've used it

I noticed today that holes are forming in mine like it is slowly disintegrating, it's only the second time I've used it

Exactly! Since I'm not the only one, I think I'll have to give them a call. :thumbsup:

I don't wash my APW applicator, the vehicle is as clean as it's going to get by the time I'm ready to wax and the applicator is already loaded when I go to use it again. I also don't like washing away good wax.

That's what I was thinking. I've used mine for about 6 coats and haven't seen the need to wash it yet. However, I do wash my VRT foam applicator pad after every use. As for the pitting I don't see any yet. Hope it holds out.

Good info! I used this great smelling stuff for the first time today and totally wore myself out getting it off.... I had the Vette out in the sun for a few hours (100 degree day) before the wash, clay bar, Revive Polish then the wax - think I applied it too thick... I feel like I spent 3 hours in the gym..... I have been using Adams Buttery Wax for ever and was not too familiar with paste wax.

Anyway, the shine and depth is outstanding and I am VERY impressed with this Americana Wax!! I will say though, today will be the last time I use this wax by hand - just ordered a Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher AND Adams polish pads - FINALLY talked myself into this AND justified the purchase! Next week when the PC and pads arrive, I will hit it again and will post the results.

I have always liked the "ZIN" state I get into when doing it all by hand, but this new shine will replace it.:D

The moral of this post is:

Put it on very light and on to a cool surface!

:thumbsup:

... The moral of this post is:

Put it on very light and on to a cool surface!

You forgot to add, "wipe it off within couple of minutes of putting it on. It's not the hot surface or the sun that got you, what got you is you left it on too long.

Do 2 panels at a time then immediately wipe off. :2thumbs:

You forgot to add, "wipe it off within couple of minutes of putting it on. It's not the hot surface or the sun that got you, what got you is you left it on too long.

Do 2 panels at a time then immediately wipe off. :2thumbs:

Correct. I also read about this after I posted the above. I waxed the entire Vette, then went inside for a break before removal........:glasses:

Thanks!

Correct. I also read about this after I posted the above. I waxed the entire Vette' date=' then went inside for a break before removal........:glasses:[/b']

Thanks!

Man, I bet your arms were tired after that! My ball and socket joints would have hurt for months!

Man, I bet your arms were tired after that! My ball and socket joints would have hurt for months!

I did the same thing when I first used it, but not in the sun. I just applied it, went inside for 10 minutes and then nearly killed myself getting it off. lol

Phil: You wouldn't happen to be from TX would you? Or went to the car show in Fredericksburg a couple weekends ago?

Your car looks familiar:

http://mcss383.smugmug.com/gallery/8567786_TvAXA#564605941_2exwh

Phil: You wouldn't happen to be from TX would you? Or went to the car show in Fredericksburg a couple weekends ago?

Your car looks familiar:

No, not from Texas and wasn't in Fredericksburg. I think there was like 1,200 1982 Corvettes made with the Charcoal Grey paint scheme, but don't think there are many with the Hooker side pipes....:rockon:I live in Mesa Arizona which is right outside of Phoenix.

:pc:

My Adam's polishing pads arrived today and the PC will be here Monday, can't hardly wait to attack her again! I have been watching Adam's DVD volume 5 today in preparation for the PC usage and will be cruising the forum for more info.

Adam, when will Volume 6 be out? Good Info!!:patriot:

After MSW I did 2 thin coats of Americana, then after letting it cure a few hours I wiped everything down with DS / MFT.

Result was a deeper shine, compared to before (Turtle Wax Ice) it looked more like you poured water over it. A deep wet look.

Another Adam's product that really does what it claims. :cheers:

That is good to know. I was thinking about buying some of that wax. :bow: