Customer Service 866.965.0400

Gravel dust from gravel driveway

CWBowen

Question

I just placed my first Adam's $300.00 order, and I can't wait to detail my truck and my wife's car. One question I have is I live off of a gravel driveway that leaves a nice coating of dust on every trip to and from the house. Typically most of it is only on the back of the cars but I want to make sure I clean the dust off correctly since gravel dust is probably one of the grittiest. Is it ok to use the Detail Spray to wipe this off as long as the car is fairly clean or should this be washed off completely? It would be nice to give the washed car a quick wipe to remove the dust but I don't want to damage the finish.

Thanks

23 answers to this question

Thats a tough one, undoubtedly there is going to be A LOT of grit in that dust. I can't in good conscious recommend you detail spray and wipe those areas as I fear its a tad much for casual dust removal.

I deal with very little gravel dust in my jobs... mainly b/c finding an unpaved road around here is like looking for sasquach or the loch ness monster. Maybe someone with a little more first hand experience will chime in.

IF you order some americana and you apply it you will notice that your dust will be cut back.What i do in my drive way is i wash the truck dont touch it. And wash it every week. And if there is something important maybe wash it in the middle of the week. It is really hard to tell you if you should be wiping the dust off you car without seeing it. And Welcome to the club and i hope i answered your question.

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like I will just have to do a full wash to keep it clean. It's not too bad except when it doesn't rain for a while, and then the dust is really bad. I'm sure the waxing will help though. How is the VRT as far as attracting dust?

Thanks for all the advice. It looks like I will just have to do a full wash to keep it clean. It's not too bad except when it doesn't rain for a while, and then the dust is really bad. I'm sure the waxing will help though. How is the VRT as far as attracting dust?

VRT doesn't attract dust...I never have issues with dust on my tires and I live in AZ and its dust season...

It is water based not oil based. :2thumbs:

Air compressor works great for gravel dust. One of my customers took his GT3 to the track and ended up going off into the gravel (oops). The entire exterior and interior was covered with gravel dust. The compressor did a great job of getting rid of the gunk and the Metro Vac took care of the rest :)

The driveway is about half a mile long and extra wide so that will probably never happen. But I wish I could afford to pave it, if not only for the sake of keeping the cars clean.

I thank all of you for your quick responses. It's great that a product has a great backing and lots of people to get ideas from. I'm sure I will be extremely happy with the products, and look forward to chatting with you guys again soon.

Thanks again

If you're getting a lot of dust, then the first thing I would advise would be a different grade of gravel. Go for driveway grade gravel. I have no dust from mine.

Second, use Americana Wax on the paint. It doesn't attrack the dust like a lot of other products (not Adam's of course). :D

Do you have an air compressor? I had lime dust on my Vette and that's what I used first. Then I fully washed,dryed, and detail sprayed it. :2thumbs:

Awesome advice Rich! We used to live on a dirt road, and before pulling in the garage, I'd take our leaf blower out and blast off the dust.

You can also use the exhaust of the shop vac, or a mini blower like the one from Metro Vac.

Thanks!:2thumbs:

Well my driveway is actually 250' long but it is right off of a private gravel drive that my father owns and he would never flip the bill for asphalt, so gravel it will stay. His driveway is about 300' long with pavers and it seems like the weeds really grow wild through the pavers.

maybe you could put something on the gravel to reduce the dust.

I've taken mag chloride to a mine in AZ that used it for dust control, and I know that some farmers in IA use something on the road that run past their houses to control dust, but I don't what that might be:D

Shine On

Bluezey:pc:

There are several things that can be spread on the drive that will eliminate the dust. Call your county highway department and they can advise. You will spend less than your Adams order and the dust will be eliminated for the year or until you grade the gravel again.

That waterless solution looks awesome, but I still would be a little worried even with using a compressor to blow the gravel dust off of there being a possibility of swirl marks from the grit still left over. Any thoughts?

I definitely wouldn't use anything on the paint before blowing, spraying, or washing the dust off first. The waterless wash is great, but you do have to rub a bit, and if you have the gravel dust on the car, I think it would scratch it. Only because gravel dust is more coarse. Normal road or air dust is more fine.

My grandparents driveway is like that and ive detailed that car like 3 times and washed it like 10 times and i would defintly wash it first or it scratches the paint. Once you did a full detail with Adams the dust doesnt stick as bad at all and it comes off alot better the next time you wash it.:thumbsup: