12 replies to this topic

#1 Peterk

Peterk

New AF Detailer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:18 PM

I'm planning on buying this Adam's kit soon http://www.adamspoli...ishing-kit.aspx It looks like the simplest way to get started with paint care, however my 05 has a "glass" top so I'm guessing I shouldnt use polish or clay on it. What do you usually use on glass tops for cleaning/care?

#2 GTO Guy

GTO Guy

Master AF Detailer

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

"ALWAYS CLAY YOUR GLASS!" I dont think the polish will really do much to it but some americana always goes nice!

#3 Peterk

Peterk

New AF Detailer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:31 PM

Well corvette tops arent really glass, I'm not sure what it is, lexan or some kind of see through plastic.

#4 GTO Guy

GTO Guy

Master AF Detailer

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:35 PM

Well corvette tops arent really glass, I'm not sure what it is, lexan or some kind of see through plastic.

I would get the plastic polish then and still go over it with some wax.

#5 whiterp199

whiterp199

Shine Apprentice!

• Members
  • 3,875 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:49 PM

You should still be able to polish it. You can use the PC and Swirl & Haze Remover to clear water spots off glass, or haze off of headlights. You should not have a problem on the top. I am sure someone on here has done it before hopefully they can chime in with more details.
Sent from a Samsung Galaxy Tablet so please ignore my fat fingers and spelling errors.
Posted Image

#6 Chris05GTO

Chris05GTO

God, Family, Cars In That Order.......

• Moderators
  • 18,599 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:18 PM

You can Clay and polish out water spots on glass, the 4" pads work great on removing water spots on glass.You probably can treat your tops like glass but wait until some Corvette owners chime in .:2thumbs:

Posted Image

forum_header-discover_zps7b5b02a6.jpg
Pontiac, Gone But Not Forgotten! GTO 1 OF 136

#7 GerryC

GerryC

Reflection Perfection™

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

glass cleaner followed by BSG

stable.jpg

#8 Marylander

Marylander

Formerly MarylandTDI

• Moderators
  • 8,047 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

I'd suggest doing the top by hand at first, starting with something milder like revive and then maybe stepping up to Swirl & Haze Remover if there are still issues you need to correct.

I don't know if C6 tops have that "glazing" issue that the C5 tops had, but in any case I'd just take it extra careful... I'm sure that lexan is much softer than the rest of the car's clear coat. :2thumbs:

Rich
2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
1971 Grampian 26 Sailboat

#9 Peterk

Peterk

New AF Detailer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

I guess I should use the correct term, the tops arent actually "glass" they're some kind of clear plastic or something.

#10 Adam

Adam

Welcome to AF!

• Adam
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:32 AM

Great tips here gang! I treat the plastic/ plexiglas tops on Corvettes just as I would the paint. It can get swirl marks, and if yours has them, use the Orange Swirl Killer pad and Swirl & Haze Remover.

If not, just try the Fine Machine Polish, or, if polishing by hand, the Revive Fine Hand Polish and Blue Hex Grip Applicator. Follow with wax of your choice, or sealant MSW.

I've made tops look like they were painted perfect black, that looked like they were off-white with oxidation and swirl marks!

:thumbsup:
Adam Pitale
Founder, Shine Fanatic
Adam@AdamsPolishes.com

#11 Nick@Adams

Nick@Adams

Gettin' my shine on!

• Team Member
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 06:35 PM

Agreed... you can polish the top just like the rest of the car... use the least aggressive method to start and step up accordingly if the results aren't what you wanted. Definitely keep a good coat of protection on it. Machine Superwax, Buttery Wax, or Americana... any of these will protect it and help to prevent light scratches or swirls once you get it perfect.

#12 Redbeard

Redbeard

oooh, shiny!

• Members
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Good info. Does the same treatment apply to C6 headlight covers?

#13 Nick@Adams

Nick@Adams

Gettin' my shine on!

• Team Member
  • 18,329 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:10 PM

Yes, or any other headlights or tail lights for that matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users