Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Micro-Scratches from Windshield?

crewxp

Question

When I first got my car a few months back, my windshield was scratchless. Since then (only in the sun) I've noticed small hairline scratches in the windshield. I think its from when I clean it or from when I used to use micro-towels on the windshield. I'm hoping its the latter and not the current.

Is there any way to remove the micro scratches from the windshield? SHR followed by polish followed by glass cleaner and sealant?

and to prevent scratches like that, just keep folding the towel and use a new towel on each glass panel?

Thanks!

Bad Quality/Small iPhone pics (Look near the sun. You can see small bright lines):

a6cd0e16-cabf-b8f2.jpg

a6cd0e16-cadc-e483.jpg

a6cd0e16-cb07-8840.jpg

20 answers to this question

Yikes! Yeah, I'll probably just have to deal with it :(

I know there's the possibility that a pc will do nothing to help. But is there a chance it would possibly make it worse? Like is there a harm in trying? Thinking of either SHR or fmp

You guys should start listening to Dylan a bit more. You can run that PC @ 6,000 with a green pad and SSR and it WON'T EFFECT THE GLASS. It won't remove scratches and it won't effect it barely at all.

Which is why I'm willing to prove it to people as I have some spare, laminated glass :D:pc:

I wouldn't. I'm guessing if you don't burn it you are gonna hologram it or scuff it pretty hard. If it doesn't impede your driving, and you can live with it, I'd let it go bud.

LET ME TRY SOMETHING FOR YOU.

I don't have my machine here, nor my drill. Let me bring them in on Monday, and TEST THEM OUT FOR YOU ON A PIECE OF SCRAP LAMINATED GLASS using Adam's Premium Car Care Products. That way, you don't kill your windshield without seeing what could or couldn't happen first.

Sound like a deal? PM me on Sun night to remind me mang!

Chris

Again, like I said in my last post:

The products we make simply are not abrasive enough to effect your glass. Glass is 100's of times harder than your paint and think of how much effort you have to put behind correcting your paint.

Thanks Dylan. I'm going to give it a shot at low RPM's tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes. Like I said before, they're extremely minor. They only can be seen when the sun is right in front of it. I'm thinking polish will do more than the SHR, but who knows. Just hope since the products aren't clear, that the windshield won't cloud up.

Wish me luck!

I regularly recommend taking SHR and an orange pad to glass to scour water scale off... the abrasives won't do anything to the surface, but they will scrub off the minerals stuck on top.

orange PC pad or hand applicator?

This seriously needs to be done to my car..

But is there a chance it would possibly make it worse? Like is there a harm in trying? Thinking of either SHR or fmp

Again, like I said in my last post:

Nothing we make is even remotely capable of putting a cut on glass...

The products we make simply are not abrasive enough to effect your glass. Glass is 100's of times harder than your paint and think of how much effort you have to put behind correcting your paint.

I regularly recommend taking SHR and an orange pad to glass to scour water scale off... the abrasives won't do anything to the surface, but they will scrub off the minerals stuck on top.

Yikes! Yeah, I'll probably just have to deal with it :(

I know there's the possibility that a pc will do nothing to help. But is there a chance it would possibly make it worse? Like is there a harm in trying? Thinking of either SHR or fmp

There is a chance it could make it worse. Be prepared to replace it if you try something. I'll go out on a limb here and say there won't be any 110% guarantee! lol

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

I was wondering if using a machine polisher would change the refraction?

I had guy once.who scrubbed his windshield with a Scotch.Brite pad.....the rough dark green side. WHOLE windshield had significant scratches where he scrubbed back and forth. I did try SHR with a PC. Honestly it helped a little. I was afraid.to try.a rotary or a harsher product...not Adams ....on the glass.

Prob Mook has your answer....sounds.like a bear to do though.

I wish you the best!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

You need the powder I have in my shop and a special pad. Cerium oxide i think it is. It makes a mess. Huge mess. In my opinion, even if u had it, I wouldnt try it on laminated glass like your windshield. Its used on a power drill, and that little piggy gets hot.....real hot. I can imagine that it may cause some of the glue in your glass to melt or burn up.

I use it on small scratches for shower and flat glass, as long as i cant feel them with my fingernail.

darn ok. im going to try and go at it with the PC this weekend. I was just curious as to if the PC would actually make the window any worse (scratch, burn, fade, etc).

any tips on what something like that is usually caused by?

Archived