Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting the most from carnuba wax

Baron_Von_Awesome

Question

With the release of Adam's carnuba wax just around the corner, I thought I would post a technique I use on some cars about how to get the most shine, depth, and clarity from your wax. The procedure is tedious, requires the touch of a surgeon, is time consuming, and expensive but the finish you get will be incredible (show car folks - print this out and hang it up in your garage).

Ingredients:

Fine mist spray bottle

1 gallon of ice cold distilled water

Many, many microfiber polishing towels

Quality carnuba wax

Many, many foam applicators

A lot of car care enthusiasts and pro detailers know multiple coats of wax can really make a finish look great. While that's true, very few people have the knowledge or take the time to actually apply the coats correctly. The end result of "two coats" of wax in that case is simply rubbing and smearing the first coat while applying the second coat - so your two coats are really just a blithering mess of wax that's nowhere near as beautiful as it should be.

At this point, your washing, claying, polishing, and alcohol wipe down should be complete and the car's finish must not be hot or exposed to sunlight or excessive dust in any way during this procedure:

Begin by very lightly misting 1/2 of a panel with ice cold distilled water and then, using very little pressure, apply a very thin layer of the wax over the misted area using an applicator dampened with your cold water spray. Gently work this wax/water mixture until it all but disappears. While working the mixture, the surface should be periodically misted. When the mixture is near invisible, again very lightly mist the panel with ice cold water and leave it (yes, leave the panel misted). Move on to the next panel and the next - using a new applicator for every 1 whole panel.

At the end of every third panel, go back and exactly repeat the above steps on the first panel you worked. Then, do area four, then back to two, then move on to five, then back to three, then six, and so on and so on. (it may take a minute to digest that, but I swear it will make sense after you read it a few times).

Once you've made your way around the car, we're now ready to buff off our first layer. Very lightly mist your cold water over 1/2 panel and very lightly and gently buff dry with a microfiber towel. Once the microfiber towel begins to get damp, toss it and start using a new one. Continue this process around the entire car until your spots are gone.

Repeat this process every 24 hours for the next 3 to 4 days. You read that correctly: It will take you almost an entire working week to fully complete this procedure.

At the end of your 3 to 4 days you'll be left with something that looks like this:

330i.jpg?t=1241228438

Enjoy! :)

Edited by Rich

• Answers 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I'm guessing the cold water will keep the panel nice and cool to promote excellent bonding to the surface and keeping it wet should allow you to apply nice thin even coats :drool::drool::drool:

wow great write up!ive never heard of the cold water trick!thats sweet!what does the cold water do?does the cold water make the wax harden so you can remove it?

The cold water helps bond the carnuba layer to itself more quickly, which in turn leaves less room for the solvents to bond with the carnuba - the solvents then have no choice but to outgas and evaporate (hence waiting 24 hours between coats).

Excellent writeup... cold water is a very underused tool in detailing. I generally only reserve this type of process for my own car and/or special details. People think its funny when I have an ice chest w/ my spray bottle and a beer next to it in the garage :D

No videos - it's very rare that I even take a simple picture. I have bad luck with cameras - two have ended up at the bottom of a wash bucket :(

haha np. I'll just read what you posted a few more times guess I'm kind of slow.

Thanks for the instructions. One question, what is the alcohol wipe down do?

I'm guessing you're talking about isopropyl

Jim

Yes he is talking about isopropyl, and it takes away EVERYTHING off the paint, leaving you just paint.

Yes he is talking about isopropyl, and it takes away EVERYTHING off the paint, leaving you just paint.

Everything? I read somewhere else about first applying the machine polish then super wax, then the wax. So the iso would take off the machine polish and wax too....no?

Jim

Everything? I read somewhere else about first applying the machine polish then super wax, then the wax. So the iso would take off the machine polish and wax too....no?

Jim

Correct, the alcohol will strip off any polish or wax that's on your finish.

Thank you for getting back. I just didn't want to do anything foolish. It took all I had after a hard week to understand going back to previous panels as describe LOL

Jim

Correct, the alcohol will strip off any polish or wax that's on your finish.

Could this be used as an alternative to washing with Dawn. Mist down like using DS and wipe off the wax or polish, then wash with a good paint shampoo?

Could this be used as an alternative to washing with Dawn. Mist down like using DS and wipe off the wax or polish, then wash with a good paint shampoo?

It can make a nice alternative, sure. But the finish does need to be clean, which means washing it first. To cut your work in half, just load up some APC into a foam gun/cannon, soak the car, let it dwell for a few minutes, and rinse: no more wax!

It can make a nice alternative, sure. But the finish does need to be clean, which means washing it first. To cut your work in half, just load up some APC into a foam gun/cannon, soak the car, let it dwell for a few minutes, and rinse: no more wax!

Good point about the wash. Is a bath in either Dawn or APC needed if you are going to clay? Or does it fall under the category of never enough of a good thing? I mean being overkill on wax removal can't really hurt as long as the dawn is kept off the plastic and stuff of that nature right?

Good point about the wash. Is a bath in either Dawn or APC needed if you are going to clay? Or does it fall under the category of never enough of a good thing? I mean being overkill on wax removal can't really hurt as long as the dawn is kept off the plastic and stuff of that nature right?

Some people say stripping the wax doesn't even matter because polishing it takes it off anyways. I would rather strip it because thats just less stuff in my pad but I have no facts to say that a waxed finish fills up my pad faster.