Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hand Seasoning a Polishing Pad

Baron_Von_Awesome

Question

Next time you finish polishing out a few panels of a car, take a look at the pad. Notice that there are spots where there is caked in polish - and spots where there's really nothing at all. Why waste the potential of your polishing pad?!

Before you begin using your buffer, put some product on the pad as you normally would. Now here's the fun part - using your hand, lightly spread the polish over the entire surface of the pad. You don't have to heavily massage it in - just spread it out.

Once the product is spread across the pad, go ahead and once again apply some product like you normally would (3 peas sized drops) and begin polishing. You'll find that you have better cutting power and that you will also be able to complete the whole car faster as a result - you're now using 100% of your polishing pad surface!

Enjoy :)

17 answers to this question

Absolutely, great advice. I also spray 2 sprays of Detail Spray prior to putting the product on to prime the pad. Once on, I spread it without the power on in a small area. From there, I turn on to speed 2 to cover my area, then bump up accordingly to polish/wax.

Absolutely, great advice. I also spray 2 sprays of Detail Spray prior to putting the product on to prime the pad. Once on, I spread it without the power on in a small area. From there, I turn on to speed 2 to cover my area, then bump up accordingly to polish/wax.

...and then you're almost finished: If you're using the Fine Machine Polish, turn the PC back down to speed 2 - 3 after you've broken down the polish at speed 5 -6; make a few slow passes with very light pressure and watch your gloss level go through the roof. Works great for red cars especially! You can also do it as a 3rd step by using FMP on the black pad.

...and then you're almost finished: If you're using the Fine Machine Polish, turn the PC back down to speed 2 - 3 after you've broken down the polish at speed 5 -6; make a few slow passes with very light pressure and watch your gloss level go through the roof. Works great for red cars especially! You can also do it as a 3rd step by using FMP on the black pad.

We need a sticky on tips, I never thought about doing this. I'll try it next time... THANKS! :thumbsup:

i just tried this yesterday and it didnt work like i thought it would, maybe i was doing something wrong?:confused::confused:

i put 4 pea sized drops around the pad and tried lightly spreading them with my finger but they just smeared into a single line and didnt go across the pad. I tried light pressure and heavy pressure with the same results. What did i do wrong?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I tried this last weekend when I was correcting a nasty scratch on the hood of a neighbors Outback. I seasoned the pad, started with the top 1/3 of the pad making contact, then began to work the area. Holy crap, the scratch was gone! I did the remainder of the hood, since it was going faster than it had in the past. Can't wait to start working the scratches on my truck this weekend! :pc:

i just tried this yesterday and it didnt work like i thought it would, maybe i was doing something wrong?:confused::confused:

i put 4 pea sized drops around the pad and tried lightly spreading them with my finger but they just smeared into a single line and didnt go across the pad. I tried light pressure and heavy pressure with the same results. What did i do wrong?:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Did you ever get the process down on the pad seasoning? Curiuos myself. Have yet to try, but would like to have a good knowledge before I attempt it. Thanks!