Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Door Jams

Devin04

Question

Is there an easy way to do this w/o getting the inside wet and that can combat the years of dirt buildup? Now that I'm washing other people's cars I'm finding that this is an area that is very neglected.

The cleanest way to do it is to get some Formula 409 and a pressure washer, and then...just kidding! :hi:

I personally use a no rinse car wash solution along with a detail brush. And since many dealerships have trouble telling the difference between a hinge and a jamb, some APC and 3M adhesive remover for the grease that's all over the place. Sticking to the Adam's line - use some Adam's Car Wash solution diluted in a spray bottle and a foam wood staining brush from the local hardware store. Follow up with some Detail Spray or BSG.

The cleanest way to do it is to get some Formula 409 and a pressure washer, and then...just kidding! :hi:

I personally use a no rinse car wash solution along with a detail brush. And since many dealerships have trouble telling the difference between a hinge and a jamb, some APC and 3M adhesive remover for the grease that's all over the place. Sticking to the Adam's line - use some Adam's Car Wash solution diluted in a spray bottle and a foam wood staining brush from the local hardware store. Follow up with some Detail Spray or BSG.

Ha ha I know that first part isn't right. Thanks for the response. Now I can stop watering people's trunks. Speaking of greasing hinges I need to have that done on my Mustang, my driver side door is starting to squeak. I'm going to have to make a note to tell them not to grease everything, just the hinges. Does the foam wood brush work that much better for you then an old rag?

Ha ha I know that first part isn't right. Thanks for the response. Now I can stop watering people's trunks. Speaking of greasing hinges I need to have that done on my Mustang, my driver side door is starting to squeak. I'm going to have to make a note to tell them not to grease everything, just the hinges. Does the foam wood brush work that much better for you then an old rag?

It's just a lot easier to squeeze into tight spots with the brush.

When I did the door jambs on my Taurus, I just used a couple of cheap Costco mf towels, damp with water and apc, to remove all the dirt and grime that had accumulated over the winter. They came out sparkling clean. Just don't be like the 'expert' from that video who sprayed water on the door jambs and sills of the Bentley with the doors open :loser:

Just use a pump sprayer to spray the water on there...

You can do a normal wash / detail job on them and using the pump sprayer you can direct where the water goes and its not a nigh pressure

So wait, 409 and a pressure washer is not the way to do it? CRAP! lol

Lots of great tips in this thread so far, the jams have always been a trouble area for me as well. I've typically used DS and a MF towel but I like the sound of soapy water in a spray bottle followed by clean water.

So wait, 409 and a pressure washer is not the way to do it? CRAP! lol

Lots of great tips in this thread so far, the jams have always been a trouble area for me as well. I've typically used DS and a MF towel but I like the sound of soapy water in a spray bottle followed by clean water.

Us Illinois boys know whats up.:rockon:

Lots of great tips in this thread so far, the jams have always been a trouble area for me as well.

I agree thanks everyone I'll refer back to this next time I do a detail. Think it could make its way to the tips and tricks section of the forums?

EDIT: Yay it did! :D

Edited by Devin04

What I've done in the past utilizes a combination of Detail Spray, a Detail Sponge (the old gray block style), Car Wash, and some Microfiber.

For the easy to reach areas -

Get the sponge damp with water... place a quarter sized drop of car wash on the middle, fold the sponge in on itself to get the soap to work its way in. Then squeeze viggorously. This will generate a pretty substantial lather.

Take your DS and on the stream (not spray) setting saturate the area really well. Then using your lathered up sponge gently wipe away the dirt.

Then using a detail brush and lots of DS I get into the cracks and crevices.

Follow up with a light mist of detail spray and wipe down with microfiber.

I'll follow that with a pass of Revive by hand just to make sure everything is extra clean.

Just use a pump sprayer to spray the water on there...

You can do a normal wash / detail job on them and using the pump sprayer you can direct where the water goes and its not a nigh pressure

This, those garden sprayers work well since you can vary the pressure depending on how much you pump it.

Hello everyone,

New to Adams and detailing, but in the past, I've used soap and water, a 1/4" wooden dowel wrapped in a MF towel. This allowed me to get into those difficult places and not have to worry about scratching anything. Has anyone else done this?

Hello everyone,

New to Adams and detailing, but in the past, I've used soap and water, a 1/4" wooden dowel wrapped in a MF towel. This allowed me to get into those difficult places and not have to worry about scratching anything. Has anyone else done this?

:welcomebanner: Mark to the forum

Hello everyone,

Never tried it but I will now. Thanks for the tip. Welcome!

This past weekend I helped with a friends car and talk about dirty door jambs!!!! He worked on them for a little while and gave up. I took my 1/4" dowel and shaped the end to look like a chisel and then wrapped it in an old MF towel, sprayed down the jamb with APC and went to work. In just a couple of minutes the jambs were as clean as if the car were new. Easy, just the way I like it...