Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Water Stains

Cyclone

Question

Ok, so here is my problem.

Our new Grand Prix GT is getting a full paint manicure. The problems I will be facing include scratching, swirling, hazing, blotching, discoloration, and the absolute worst water stains ever known to man kind!

I have a PC now so I am armed for battle. I started on the hood tonight and did 2 passes with the PC, orange pad and SHR before the sky started to rumble. I managed to get the paint looking pretty good, and I hit it real quick by hand with some revive and buttery just as the clouds released their loads.

How much time, pressure and product does it take to remove the water stains? I have never seen stains like this before and they are probably old stains from years of improper washing. Even after the 2 passes I still see them prevail over the whole surface.

I am thinking I might need something more abrasive than what Adam's has to offer, then follow it up with the Adam's...

10 answers to this question

are they surface water spots (salts left after water evaporated) or etched (acid rain/fallout reacting with the clearcoat)?

Are they on paint, glass, or both?

If clay/shr/polish hasn't done anything, try a 50/50 mix of distilled water and Isopropyl sprayed onto a microfiber towel (not one of your good towels). Wipe it to the surface and wipe off with your drying towel

If that doesn't help you may need to step up to something more aggressive. Take some pictures so we can get a better idea of what you might need to do

Here are a few pictures of the hood... They are like this all over the car, glass and paint.

I do not know the cause as they were present when buying the car a couple weeks ago.

And these pictures taken today after I have already washed the car a couple times, along with detail spray and the minor things. I will have to get new pictures tomorrow of how it looks after I went over it with the PC & SHR

Are those before or after polishing?

Clay an area, dampen a towel with 50/50 water and either vinegar or iso alcohol, let it sit on the area for 10-15 seconds, and then wipe it off and see

Ok, I went out and checked the hood in the sun just now.

It looks 100% better than it did, but it does not look 100% if you know what I mean.

The spots are etched into it. I can still see the rings all over the place. I am pretty confident that I can get them out with just the SHR and more time / pressure if I go over it another time or two.

Anyways, the pictures are attached, and you can see around the light reflection what I am talking about, other than that it is hard to see in pictures.

I had the EXACT problem, and just as bad or worse, with my 97 GTP. It had tons of acid rain etching on paint, trim and glass. I got all but the worst out with swirl remover and A LOT of time. Keep up the work you will get it, you have already made tremendous gains.

Not to dampen your spirits, but the paint on my 97 was the absolute softest paint I have ever seen. It scratched if you looked at it angrily, much less wash it. I don't miss that car and its 100% worthless electronics one bit. lol I hope you have better luck with yours.