Customer Service 866.965.0400

Adam's Polishes Moves Tomorrow!

Adam

My friends, the new building is ready, and the CA facility shipped the last orders out of the warehouse on Thursday! In 8 hours from this minute, we will open the new distribution center in Boulder, and I am pumped!:banana:

These are exciting times and I want you, our forum members, should understand all of the details:

Why the move?

There are several reasons why we chose to move our distribution center:

1. My wife and I moved here in 2007 after traveling from CA to PA ten times each year. (I wanted to reduce flight times to either coast, and spent one too many hours in LA traffic.)
  2. Our business grew relative to the population of the United States. (55% of the population of our great nation live east of the Mississippi.) At least 55% of our customer base lives east of the Mississippi River, and that means most of our customers wait too long to get goods, pay too much shipping, etc.
  3. We should now have a 3-day delivery to the majority of the United States, and 4 days to the furthest customers.
  4. "CARB" The California Air Resource Board. They are the fine organization that made it illegal to sell our In & Out Spray, and required us reformulate most of our products over the past three years. We were fined for not having dates on products which did not expire. (Our VRT, completely VOC compliant, which you can drink, didn't have a date, which cost us $3,000 in fines.)
  5. The California State Board of Equalization. There are 58 counties in California, and each and every one of them has a different sales tax rate. Once a month, our controller and bookkeeper meet for two days to calculate the tax owed for each of them. We collected the tax from the customers, but still, just the hourly pay to calculate the sales tax was over $400/ month.
  6. Adam's Polishes will run more efficiently with me living 2.9 miles, not 1,080 from the operation. I've tried, and our small operation needs my daily interaction. Not just online, not just by phone, I need to be there, in person, daily to maximize the effectiveness of our small organization in today's competitive market.
  7. We have a wonderful daughter now, Luca. Every time I'm in an airport, renting a car, and sleeping in a hotel room, I'm not with Luca or my super wife, Melissa.

Changes to our team members:

Our truly outstanding team includes the following stars:

• Steve King, Shipping
  • Ashley Wilson, Sales
  • Dylan VonKleist, Sales
  • AJ "The Junkman" Johnson, Show and Internet Demonstrations, Videos, etc.
  • Dan Gebben, Warehouse Operations
  • Robbie Ankarlo, Accounting
  • Chad King, IT Director
  • Adam Pitale, Detailer

When I needed help in late 2007, my best friend Dan Gebben came on to help for 'a few months.' Well, Dan is ready to do something other than work for his best friend two years later. Dan is the only person that will not be working with us after this week. (He flies into Denver at 6AM tomorrow to work with us this week during the transition.)

Steve King came to work with us over a year ago, and is a tremendous asset. He packs the boxes that are delivered to you, and does it while making everyone in the warehouse laugh out loud! Steve is from Atlanta, and despite my repeated attempts to lure him move to CO, Steve has some family responsibilities that he must attend to in Atlanta. Steve will now be present at our East Coast events, including those in Carlisle, PA. We also hope to get Rob White to work with Steve, making our east coast show team simply fantastic. (Rob moved to Florida earlier this year when his wife got a big $ job there.)

Everyone else will continue with Adam's, and we will be will introduce the two new team members shortly.

New Phone Hours: 9-6 Mountain Time.

866-965-0400

Changes for CA customers:

1. We are increasing the number of Detail Clinics from 4/ year to 12/ year in Southern California.
  2. We will host 6 clinics/ year in Northern California.
  3. Internet orders will not longer calculate or pay CA sales tax. (Sorry Colorado customers, who are now going to pay sales tax.)
  4. 2-3 day delivery via FedEx Ground. New rates with FedEx are on average 20% less than UPS rates, which means the shipping charges will actually be less now than they were.
  5. Our So-Cal Distributors are stepping up with clinics and specials, all of which will be announced here.

What Colorado will do for our product line:

1. Expect to see a new version of our In & Out Spray in Spring 2010.
  2. Expect to see a Bug & Tar Remover in mid-2010.
  3. Our "Liquid Gold" glass sealant will debut at about the same time, which will knock out all competing glass sealants.
  4. Improved delivery times, response times, and customer service.
  5. Reduce the number of days in transit to 70% of our customers.
  6. Reduce the shipping costs to all of our customers.

Why did we switch to FedEx?

We have been shipping via UPS since I started this business in 2000. I am close personal friends with many UPS employees, particularly the drivers in CA, PA, and CO.

Typically, 3-5% of all packages we ship are damaged fatally in transit. That's a UPS trademark, and we get a check from the UPS Insurance Company every week.

Our UPS rep in LA is simply awful, and still has not returned my phone calls from October. Lawrence, if you are listening, you are responsible for losing our business. If Lawrences' supervisor is reading, that guy needs a major lesson in customer service.

When we found our building in Colorado, I called the local rep to get setup with an account, better rates, etc. (We spent just over $200,000 in shipping with UPS in 2008, so it was time to get a better rate to pass on to our customers. We don't make money on shipping.)

I called, called again the next day. . . . . . . . . . Three days later, I called the main number for FedEx, after learning that another UPS package was damaged in transit. The local FedEx rep, Adam Robinson, showed up at the building the same day, and took a look at our UPS bill.

The next day, Adam brought a rate sheet with 30-50% savings on our current UPS rates. The following morning, he brought the Freight Division rep over, and took me to lunch. Our dealers will now pay 1/2 to get pallets delivered anywhere in the USA.

The day after that, he came by with the technology person, Lisa, and they installed a shipping computer, label printers, bar code readers, and scales.

Finally, I got a call back from UPS, and the rep came by to meet with a rate sheet with higher prices than I was paying in CA.

That sealed the deal, and now, we are going to ship mainly via FedEx, and we will be passing on those cost savings directly to you!

Thank You!

Well, I must now hit the sack, and get ready for day #1 as a Colorado Corporation, and distribution center.

As for you, our incredibly kind and loyal customer, THANK YOU! Thanks for your loyalty, and understanding while we switch gears. If your order is delayed, I apologize, and we'll have it to you shortly. If you need an express deliver, shoot me an email and I'll make sure we get you your goods for the birthday or car show, etc.

Do you have questions or concerns about the move? Email me directly! Adam@AdamsPolishes.com. I'd be very happy to discuss and remedy any and all concerns.

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,

Adam Pitale

Detailer

:patriot:

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awesome news for everybody with the new location. In & Out will be back instock next year :rockon:. Other great products to try out and lower shipping cost:2thumbs:. Now Adam can be more helpful to all at work and at home:grouphug:.

Congrats on the move Adam and team. To be honest, I am glad you moved closer to Texas. Faster shipping, No more CA fines, and maybe some more products. Could be wrong, but I think everything will be cheaper than CA also. I think you will like FedEx alot better. I have never had a problem with them, but UPS dont even get me rolling on that one. Good Luck with the change. Oh and its just intime for BLACK FRIDAY!!!

Thanks Friends! I appreciate the kindness, and am here with a queasy stomach, not hungry at all, drinking coffee. We open in 27 minutes, whooohoooo!

Thanks for your encouraging words, and I'll give more updates, photos, etc, soon!

Here we go, day 1 Colorado!:rockon:

Adam,

All great reasons to move the business. All the best in the new facility, I'll have to come by by and check it out. Meanwhile, those of us stuck in California will do our best to minimize the impact of your move.

Bruce

Congratulations on the move Adam!

Living on the 'right' coast I am very happy with the reduced shipping times. As a former UPS employee (5 1/2 years while at school) I'm sad to hear you are switching to FEDEX, but understand the frustration with their customer service (or lack thereof).

The tax cost is crazy, way too much expense to calculate that. It seems there would be a case for lots of companies to create a shipping center just inside Nevada state lines to reduce those costs.

All the best, and I'm very glad to hear that you are closer to the family now, but did you ask them if they want you there that much! :jester:

Yet another use for VRT! Yeah! Congrats Adam! I know you have heard this before but you truly do make a great product, and your customer service is great! Good luck with the transition!

P.S. I am slowly converting people over to your products. I even have my mom buying your interior products for her car. She used to use soap and water to clean everything. The only bad thing is she buys the products and than calls me to come clean her car for her.

Congrats on the move out of Kommiefornia! You will enjoy the reduced COB and I know the rest of us will enjoy the reduced shipping times! I am anxious to see the return of In & Out. I came to Adam's after it was already discontinued and read all about how awesome it was, so I can't wait to finally try it!

Congratulations Adam. I can understand your frustration with CA laws and I don't run a business there.

That's why I moved back to TN 2 years ago. Also as a retired FedEx employee, I'm sure you'll be

happy with their service. If I remember correctly, the lost/damaged ratio was something like .2%

when I retired 7 years ago. Not to shabby when you consider how many boxes they handle every night.

Good luck in the new digs, and happy holidays.

I'm sure that the customer service situation with UPS will only reinforce your message to your people, but your company has the best customer service that I have ever experienced. We all loved your message Adam and we all understand that some glitches are inevitable. RELAX you have great customers that understand. We will empty that warehouse out for you as soon as you let us know about the GREAT sale. LOL BEST of Luck with the new venture and we want to see some pics. You need to set up an Open House sometime during the summer for us non skiiers to come out on vacation.

Adam, I have to tell you how impressed I am with your work ethic. You put your customers above everything else. That's a rare thing these days when everyone seems to be looking out for number 1. I'm proud to be even remotely associated with you. The wife and I value your friendship, and we both look forward to hopefully being allowed to continue on here on the forum, and the few opportunities we have to spend a few minutes of time with you throughout the year.

We'll both continue to support and promote your products and we know that there will be nothing but growth and prosperity for you and your company in the coming year.

Congratulations on the move.

Best wishes,

Rich

Adam,

Thank you for taking the time to personally explain the changes to us. The customer experience when dealing with Adam's is unmatched by any other company. I wish that more companies would realize that treating their customers like they really matter is worth more than any advertisement or marketing campaign they could ever pay for. You truly know how to run a business and make your customers 110% satisfied. Good luck with the new distribution center and I look forward to the new products you will have available for us in the future!! :cheers:

Derek

Archived