Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mmmmm...goodness

Osok

As much as I love to wash, buff, polish, wax and make my car shine, cooking and eating are an even bigger passion for me.

Here's tonight's tasty goodness. It's braised short rib lasagna. Oh momma was it good!!

sr_lasagna.jpg

sr_lasagn2.jpg

It was definitely as good as it looked. We have half left over so I get to enjoy the goodness for leftovers :)

From a health standpoint I think if you just braised the short ribs and ate that on it's own..which my wife was wanting us to do because she wanted to dig in as soon as I was done shredding the beef. It really is veggies, wine, stock, herbs and meat braised for about 2 1/2-3hrs so thats pretty healthy.

Here's the recipe for all to enjoy! It's not difficult by any means but takes some planning because of the braising time. But you can braise the meat a day ahead if desired.

Short Rib "Sauce"

5 sprigs of thyme

2 sprigs rosemary

2 sprigs parsley

1 bay leaf

1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms

1 cup boiling water

4 lb beef short ribs

1 cup flour

4 Tbl olive oil

4 carrots, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks chopped

1 medium onion chopped

2 Tbl tomato paste

1/2 cup port

2 cups dry red wine (you could use 2 1/2 cups red wine if you don't have port)

2 1/2 cups beef stock

6 garlic cloves

Preheat oven to 325

Wrap the fresh herbs in cheesecloth and tie up ends to make a fancy boquet garni (This just makes it easier to pull out the herbs at the end.

Take the cup of boiling water and pour it into a bowl with the mushrooms and let them soak and reconstitute for about 20 minutes then chop the mushrooms, retain the soaking water.

Put the flour in a bowl, season the short ribs with salt pepper then dredge in the flour and shake off any excess. Set ribs on a plate. Heat a skillet on medium heat with 2 Tbl of olive oil. Once oil is hot begin searing the short ribs making sure you sear/brown each side. About six minutes. Do about 4 ribs at a time so the pan isn't crowded. Once browned remove and set on a plate until needed.

In a large pot or dutch oven heat the remaining 2 Tbl of oil then add the carrots onions and celery. Cook those for about 10 minutes then stir in chopped mushrooms. Sprinkle 1 Tbl of flour into the pot and stir. Then add the tomato paste and stir and cook for 2 minutes until just begining to brown. Add the port and stir until most liquid is absorbed. Then add the red wine, the reserved liquid from soaking the mushrooms (but dont pour in any sediment on the bottom of the bowl). Bring that all to a boil and then reduce the heat a bit so it simmers for about 7-10 minutes. Then add the broth the chopped garlic, the boquet garni (wrapped up herbs) and return the mixture to a boil. Then arrange all the ribs in the pot nestling them down into the liquid. Cover the pot and put it in the oven for 2 1/2 hrs.

After that time take the pot out remove the ribs and let them cool a bit. Then shred the meat. Meanwhile set the pot on a burner, pull out the boquet garni and discard it and boil the sauce to let it reduce for about 8-10min. After its reduced put the shredded meat back in and either eat it or proceed to make the lasagna.

Lasagna

5 Tbl butter

1/4 cup flour

3 cups whole milk

1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg

2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese

1 9oz box of no bake lasagna noodles

In a heavy saucepan melt the butter then wisk in the flour. Continue to wisk over medium heat until smooth. Cook this for about 6 minutes until it starts to brown. Wisk in the milk and bring to a slight boil. Be sure to wisk quite often once adding the milk. Let the mixture boil for 1 minute then add the nutmeg and salt/pepper to taste. Congratulations you just made a fancy bechamel sauce.

Preheat your oven to 375. Butter your lasagna pan. Something about 15x10x2 in size. Start with 1 cup of the meat sauce spread on the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle 2 Tbl of cheese over the meat then put 6 of the lasagna shells overtop for one layer. Drizzle 1 cup of the bechamel sauce over the noodles then sprinkle 1/4 cup of cheese on top. Repeat with another layer of 2 cups of meat sauce, followed by the noodles, a layer of bechamel and another 1/4 cup cheese. use remaining meat sauce, last layer of noodles and cover with remaining bechamel sauce and remaining cheese.

Toss in the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes til the top is golden brown. Remove it from the oven when done and let it rest for about 5-10 minutes then dig in and enjoy the love!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived