Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anyone advise on removing someone else's paint from a car?

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Question

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Friend of mine has an 08' Altima (BLACK) - from what I saw today, he doesn't wash the car or take care of it like he should, but he's elderly, so... that may be the reason. Someone (somehow) hit him down the center of the driver's door and rear driver's side door leaving no dings, dents or otherwise, but just white paint scuffs/marks. It doesn't look like the clear coat was cut into. Sorry I don't have pics to post for this, but we've all seen this stuff before so I'm counting on that...haha.

My plan was to:

1. Wash the area

2. Clay the damage with intent of removing the majority it.

3. using the orange, yellow PC pads as required - or even break out the focus pads and the SHR.

Once damage is removed, follow with usual FMP and MSW.

Someone already tried rubbing compound on part of it and left serious swirl-scuffs, but I'm confident that a little Adam's and some PC7424xp action will rectify the damage.

If this doesn't seem like the right moves or anyone has had experience with this before, I'd appreciate the input. I plan to stop over there and do this either Tuesday or Wed. this week. I tried to get him to bring it over, but he's a recluse and never leaves his house 'cept to hit the Moose Lodge now and then. I'll just pick a shade tree in his yard and do it there.

This is a freebie for my boss (friend of his), so - tips please?

thanks in advance.

-bob

4 answers to this question

I suspect that the clay won't take a lot of this kind of thing off, but it's worth a shot.

I have removed a bit of yellow paint from a rear bumper on a Honda Accord (my Mom's) with the orange hand applicator. Of course, since his paint line is lot of area, maybe just move on to the Orange Pad/SHR/PC, which will probably be needed anyway to get out those swirls generated by the use of compound on the finish.

If no luck or incomplete removal of that paint line, then bring in the yellow pad on the PC with the SHR, and only then go to the focus pads on the PC. Of course you will have to work down from yellow/shr to orange/shr to white/fmp.

If you have the time, maybe you can make his altima gleam with the Adam's touch - not a perfect detail, but a bit of TLC will make it look much better. I feel sure if you made it shine, he would appreciate it, and, I suspect, so would your boss. Since the gentleman keeps to himself a bit, yours might be the only detail his car will ever see. If you have MSW, that would be the most rugged thing you could leave on it.

Guest Gone & Forgotten
You might try Goo Gone first, if you could remove paint first it will keep your pads cleaner.Good luck and post up some pics.:thumbsup:

Seems like I was on-par pretty much with my plan - sans the claybar. Goo-Gone is a good idea, might help loosen up some of the paint, remove a little and save my pads from getting damaged. I'm out of APC (ugh) since all my bottles cracked at the bottom and they leaked all over my shelving - so... cleaning the pads is tough right now.

Thanks for the tips guys, if I have time, I'll snap a few pics. Chances are, I won't have time since I'll be doing this on the clock (I paint houses for a living) and we'll be 'swingin' by' to take care of this 'real quick' on the way to the next job site. Then again, I may just tell him to kiss my --- and do it my way. :pc:

As for washing dudes ride and making it shine... nah, he wants to throw me some $$$, then I'll be happy to do it up.

Thanks again for the tips.. and I will try to document this with photos and post results if I can.. my Droid X leaves alot to be desired for photo quality.

Archived