Customer Service 866.965.0400

Use of Americana Question

AtsZR1

Question

I have been using the Americana after the copmplete process and have been very happy with the results. I do have a process question?

Do you let the Americana haze/dry before removal or do you remove it wet? There are no specific directions on the jar...searches I have done indicate both processes....what is the best way to do it.

Thanks for you help.

11 answers to this question

Allowing it to setup for too long makes it very hard to remove, but won't impact the results, but you certainly don't want to remove it while its still wet b/c then you're not leaving any protection behind.

A good rule of thumb is to start removal right after you see it start to haze as that means its curing.

I do about 3 panels at a time (hood, fender, door) then go back and remove.

Do the the next 3 panels, then remove.

Repeat.

That seems to generally be a good amount of time, but ambient temps/humidity will play a large role so tweak your timeframe accordingly. If anything error on the side of too long so you don't waste the benefit of the wax. It'll make removal a little more difficult, but then you're assured the results will be there.

but ambient temps/humidity will play a large role so tweak your timeframe accordingly. If anything error on the side of too long so you don't waste the benefit of the wax. It'll make removal a little more difficult, but then you're assured the results will be there.

When you say tweak, what should I do if the weather is cooler (since now its getting colder in the east coast) I usually work inside the garage on all cars but if its cold should i leave it longer (4 panels at a time then wipe) or less?

You really just need to observe and adjust... apply it to one area and watch to see how long it takes it to haze over. Every situation is gonna be unique, detailing isn't paint by numbers or a formula that you can plug in, you have to use some personal observation.

Generally cold will cause it to cure slower, but if humidity is low it can have the opposite effect. Heat is the same way... a hot day may make it cure really quick, unless its really humid then it might slow it down some.

Every situation is unique.

You really just need to observe and adjust... apply it to one area and watch to see how long it takes it to haze over. Every situation is gonna be unique, detailing isn't paint by numbers or a formula that you can plug in, you have to use some personal observation.

Generally cold will cause it to cure slower, but if humidity is low it can have the opposite effect. Heat is the same way... a hot day may make it cure really quick, unless its really humid then it might slow it down some.

Every situation is unique.

Thank you, then I will just ovserve till it haze :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys, I appreciate your help. It appears that it is similar to the old school waxes. I think that the removal is an art...remove it as it is hazing, but before it is dry.

I have finished my red 63 Coupe, 67 light blue Roadster, 07 dark red, a friends black c5 and now ready to put the finish wax (Americana) on my black 91 ZR1....not bad for a couple of weeks of work!

All of the cars look fantastic. I am a Zaino convert and loving the results!

I work in my garage ''temp controlled'', I do about a 1/3 rd. of the car then wipe off, then the other 1/3 rd. ect.:thumbsup:

Chris, every post you talk about that wonderful garage.:drool: I'm just letting you know, one of these days your gonna wake up and the garage will be gone!:hi:

Now to the topic, I would start out slow, do one panel and wait. That way you can see how it's going to react and you can judge. Like Dylan said if it is on too long it will be very hard to get off.

Chris, every post you talk about that wonderful garage.:drool: I'm just letting you know, one of these days your gonna wake up and the garage will be gone!:hi:

Now to the topic, I would start out slow, do one panel and wait. That way you can see how it's going to react and you can judge. Like Dylan said if it is on too long it will be very hard to get off.

:banana: The reason I mentioned the temp controlled is because of the wipe off time frame of the Americana!;)