Customer Service 866.965.0400

adams advertisment?

bagged00

always wondered why i never really see any advertisements for adams in any magazines or anything. everyone knows yall make great products of course. however, i feel that with an exception of people that are up to date on technology, no one really knows about adams. i know i found you all over the internet. just always wondered why you dont see more advertisement. also maybe more advertisements would mean more customers, which could possibly lead to lower cost :D:D:D. lol

edit: sorry didnt really know where to post this.

I believe they use their advertising money to sponsor online forums. (Check out this post for which ones - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8784).

This concentrates their dollars to folks that are interested in their cars and trucks. Also, the dealer network is part of the advertising. And last but not least, the online videos by AJ and Adam!

National advertising is expensive. There is a large detailing vendor that sponsor's several 'car themed' shows that must cost a pretty penny. Some online forums charge $10,000 for annual sponsorship, I can't imagine what a TV show charges!

A lot more companies are beginning to sell it (Zip, West Coast Corvettes, etc) so it's showing up in more catalogs and other places. Building a business doesn't happen overnight. It takes years. Adam's getting there. Might not be as quickly as his fans would like, but he's getting there. Heck, before long we might even start seeing him in his own tv show on Speed ! Wouldn't surprise me a bit! :D

Adam's products fit a niche within within automotive enthusiasts (which is already a niche market in itself) it's difficult and expensive to target these people. In general the target market you'd be able to hit is automotive enthusiasts but much of your dollars would be wasted so the ROI would likely be low.

Adam's seems to be spending it's money wisely for now by sponsoring forums. They are hitting a very focused group of people.

One thing I'd suggest for them is to make sure they have control of their brand from search marketing perspective. Currently if you search Adam's polishes you'll notice two companies have paid advertisements using Adam's Polishes in their ad copy. They way want to start reigning that in at some point and not allow resellers to use the brand name in ad copy but that's their call.

Where there is opportunity for them is paid search advertising withing Google. If you search something like "swirl remover" autogeek shows up as a paid result. This may be an area worth testing for Adams. (btw paid search is what I do for a living) currently Adam's products don't show up on the first page of google for swirl remover so I'd create a page with a video of SHR in action with a description of the prod and bid on that keyword. There's lots of other good keywords like that that Adam's could use to expand their online presence for users searching very specific problems/solutions.

Honestly, we just don't do magazine ads b/c its not effective advertising and we don't have the budget to compete. Megs and Mommas have HUGE $$$ advertising budgets so they have a bigger brand recognition than we do... if you've never heard of Adam's before the odds you'll buy it based off of a very expensive magazine ad is low... people don't try "new" stuff based on an add.

Plus, we are a much more hands on company, we'd prefer to have you ask questions, get the right product for you and order rather than blindly ordering based on a print ad. This ensures all of our customers get the right product, the right info, and individualized attention.

they were in either sport truck or street trucks a year or two ago i saw the article on that too.

Hmmmm... :D

PictureorVideo001Large.jpg

PictureorVideo002Large.jpg

PictureorVideo003Large.jpg

PictureorVideo004Large.jpg

PictureorVideo005Large.jpg

Its framed and on my wall in my office

IMG00013-20090513-1305.jpg

That was pretty much the article that set me on the path to eventually working for Adam's. Don't tell anyone, but a little birdie told me that there might be another tech article coming up in a magazine soon ;)

Great question, and great thread! Magazine advertisements were not cost effective for us, even though we tried several dozen approaches in a dozen different magazines.

The typical price for a full page ad in the magazines with the widest distribution were over $15,000/ issue, and that was with a 12 issue contract! Most charged about $5,000/ issue, and that was tough!

Here is why we don't spend big bucks on advertising:

We don't have or use debt, and we reinvest all income in improving our products. Been that way since I started this company nearly 11 years ago. This hasn't done anything for our bank account, but we do have a solid reputation for having great products, customer service, and an outstanding detailing system.

Most importantly, the BIG profits earned when you sell Chinese products, don't find their way to us. We simply don't sell products made in countries where workers earn $250/year. It's not in our business plan, and my integrity, and the integrity of our company stands stronger by offering products made in the USA.

Sure, our growth has been consistent, predictable. We don't live high on the hog, not at all! Our vehicles all have over 100K miles on the clock, the newest is a 2003 Ford. I buy clothes at Costco, and we stay at the Hampton Inn when traveling to shows. My watch is a Casio, and the majority of our furniture was purchased second hand on Craigslist.

Why? I believe that by continually improving our products, and making sure the process is explained thoroughly in a clear, easy-to-follow video, we as a company will, one day, grow BIG!

We'll buy a newer car someday, stay at a swanky hotel, buy a nice watch, and even advertise in Motor Trend!

Until then, I'm drinking Kirkland drip coffee, wearing Costco shorts, driving my 156K mile Ford, and having Dylan come out to Colorado to help upgrade our system to accomplish even better results. Dylan, you are flying first class, right?:lol:

Yes, I'm loving every second of this!:patriot:

Edited by Adam

Great question, and great thread! Magazine advertisements were not cost effective for us, even though we tried several dozen approaches in a dozen different magazines.

The typical price for a full page ad in the magazines with the widest distribution were over $15,000/ issue, and that was with a 12 issue contract! Most charged about $5,000/ issue, and that was tough!

Here is why we don't spend big bucks on advertising:

We don't have or use debt, and we reinvest all income in improving our products. Been that way since I started this company nearly 11 years ago. This hasn't done anything for our bank account, but we do have a solid reputation for having great products, customer service, and an outstanding detailing system.

Most importantly, the BIG profits earned when you sell Chinese products, don't find their way to us. We simply don't sell products made in countries where workers earn $250/year. It's not in our business plan, and my integrity, and the integrity of our company stands stronger by offering products made in the USA.

Sure, our growth has been consistent, predictable. We don't live high on the hog, not at all! Our vehicles all have over 100K miles on the clock, the newest is a 2003 Ford. I buy clothes at Costco, and we stay at the Hampton Inn when traveling to shows. My watch is a Casio, and the majority of our furniture was purchased second hand on Craigslist.

Why? I believe that by continually improving our products, and making sure the process is explained thoroughly in a clear, easy-to-follow video, we as a company will, one day, grow BIG!

We'll buy a newer car someday, stay at a swanky hotel, buy a nice watch, and even advertise in Motor Trend!

Until then, I'm drinking Kirkland drip coffee, wearing Costco shorts, driving my 156K mile Ford, and having Dylan come out to Colorado to help upgrade our system to accomplish even better results. Dylan, you are flying first class, right?:lol:

Yes, I'm loving every second of this!:patriot:

May I ask that this (or a shortened version) get posted on the home page of the Adams store?

This is a perfect mission statement!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Chris

I'm surprised it was that cheap. When I was looking to try to drum up more sales for my golf application I thought of doing a print ad. The golf magazines were crazy expensive. Here's the rate card for Golf magazine. They're charging $78,900 for a 1/3 page color ad. That's nuts. The app doesn't even make that a year. The ad would have to be really effective in order to just break even, never mind turn a profit.

After posting I just did a quick search for the ad rates on the two big boys. Here's Car and Driver's rate card and Motortrend's rate card. If anyone wonders why they don't see you in those publications, they should quickly get the idea why from looking at those. It's crazy. Then these media companies wonder why companies aren't advertising more with them over cheaper venues like the web.

Edited by Cygnus

wow, so impressive to see the owner of such a big company be interactive with his customers. you guys are awesome, do great work, have great products, ABSOLUTELY GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE etc. your just the best lol. keep up the good work guys!

Interactive? That's putting it lightly IMO. I have his cell and email address and am amazed how quickly he'll get back to me. I don't abuse the honor of having it though. We all like our "me" time right? lol :D

What you'll see in a good owner is exactly what Adam does. I know this because we (my family) own our own business and treat our customers the same way. It's what keeps people coming back to you. We're 60 years old next month! :)

Chris