Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wetsanding the Camaro!

The Ryan

i just got my Z repainted-so it has orange peel on the door panel. I am bringing it to my automotive technology class where they have a paint gauge and the instructor is going to show me how to wet sand. oh boi.

i figure it is the best way to get my feet wet-since i dont know anyone who does this personally where i live. :cheers: cheers!

I have used the same process to remove light scratches on my 09 Corvette convertible. I repair small rock chips in the front facia and hood by filling the hole with several layers of touch up paint. Then block the area with 2000 grit wet sanding paper then 3000 grit. When the repair is even with the surrounding paint area I use 3M 03900 Rubbing Compound on the area by hand until the paint is glossy and all sanding marks are gone. Truely, take your time and don't get in a fuss because this process takes time and you don't need to sand a larger area than required.

Kent:glasses:

DSCN07974297DSCN0797.jpg

yeah-I will be going slow. My instructor has 47 years experience with his own body shop so he is not a fast mover anyway. I want to see how each step looks since it is my only chance for this semester. It sounds doable -I think I will be OK with it with some help. Just need someone who has years of experience to show me...

will let ya know how it went...

i am thinking about it today already...nervous. It is not til tomorrow night...

Since you have an expert teaching you it should be fine.

If it helps, 3000 grit sandpaper feels about as rough as the construction paper kids use for art projects. And 3000 grit marks are easily removed with SHR on an orange pad.

Since you have an expert teaching you it should be fine.

If it helps, 3000 grit sandpaper feels about as rough as the construction paper kids use for art projects. And 3000 grit marks are easily removed with SHR on an orange pad.

Well-thank you for that!

My car got repainted and I have orange peel on one door panel and "waves" in the clear on the hood...lol

but it has multiple layers of clear! lol:lolsmack:

Guest Uncle Jesse

My buddy showed me years ago when he repainted his work truck.. he used Amerflint, which i guess dried really hard.. took forever, but it gets rid of the orange peel. Yours turned out great!

yeah-I will be going slow. My instructor has 47 years experience with his own body shop so he is not a fast mover anyway. I want to see how each step looks since it is my only chance for this semester. It sounds doable -I think I will be OK with it with some help. Just need someone who has years of experience to show me...

will let ya know how it went...

Sounds like you will be adding a few more letters to your work signature! Those other guys over in Raleigh that I told you about sponsor and teach a class in detailing at Wake Tech. You could get a new degree!

I could lend you my truck for practice. Junior scratched it up a bit the other day:mad:. Told him he will be learning a new skill :pc:

Sounds like you will be adding a few more letters to your work signature! Those other guys over in Raleigh that I told you about sponsor and teach a class in detailing at Wake Tech. You could get a new degree!

I could lend you my truck for practice. Junior scratched it up a bit the other day:mad:. Told him he will be learning a new skill :pc:

that is the stuff I am taking-buddy roo. Glad I went overt there to Majestic and met them. My car is repainted now but have some clear coat issues. We did not get to my car last night-I finished an old white celica '94 that had oxidation pretty bad. My hand was shaking by the end of it from muscle fatigue. Supposed to do my car thursday night now. I will say it is not the most organized. We are the guinea pig class apparently. ha ha!

ok- the instructor had a "bad day" at his body shop-so even though we had washed our cars before class etc-he made us pull around to the classroom side and we had classtime. He was too tired to sand. so-ok.

I have students too-and it does not matter. When my students prep for something I do it.

but-do i want him showing me how to wet sand when he is depressed or tired. NOPE! so noext Tuesday night-the saga contines. I will reprep the car aand be ready with bells on...

and my Adam's bag. lol:xfingers:

• 5 months later...
Noway I do that, very nice work. :rockon:

It's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure.

Ive been looking online for 2500 and 3000 grit sand paper and cant find anything in Canada! Can someone help me out?

I get mine from a online retailer in the states.

Ive been looking online for 2500 and 3000 grit sand paper and cant find anything in Canada! Can someone help me out?

Try PBE stores in your area - "auto paint body equipment toronto"

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&biw=1280&bih=685&q=auto+paint+body+equipment+toronto&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

Archived