Customer Service 866.965.0400

HOW TO: Winter Cleaning at the Coin-Op Wash

Team Adam's

Question

Its a flashback from January 2009!! :lol:

Figured it was time to revive the Chief Detailers coin op washing videos, perfect tips for those of you faced with a cold, dirty, snowy, salty winter.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-8071244502636446572&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-4035206599265721915&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true">

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=4108662070165579415&hl=en&fs=true" style="width: 400px; height: 326px;" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">

23 answers to this question

I can't bring myself to use the brush at the coin op. Just can't do it. My car will just have to be a little dirty all winter. The car wash here, yes there is only one, is very anti bucket or anything they don't have really. I used GWC and my tire brush once and they got onto me.

We have a good wash that has 20 minutes for $3.00 and like RJ2SS said I keep the meter running and go off times like before or after lunch.

I take my 09 CC Sierra to such. I do no not use the brush but bring my own two bucket wash ready to go and use Adams wash pads. No foam so I pressure rinse first then two bucket.

I follow Dylan's lead on washing but on the engine I will use the engine cleaner (truck engine bay is really big) and my boars head wheel brush and then use the SOFT WATER Rinse for the engine bay as it is a low pressure rinse. I also VRT the tires before leaving and getting them dusty or dirty.

I have a battery leaf blower for the drying along with the GW drying towel. Lowes sells a good rubbermaid block type two step, step stool that is light, sturdy and non-slip for you SUV/truck guys/gals.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_40558-12223-RM-P2_0__?productId=3112051&Ntt=rubbermaid+step+stool&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Drubbermaid%2Bstep%2Bstool

Like Dylan said do this on non-work out/run days as in the 90-100 deg heat (sorry no snow here) and humidity it can be a fair hour + workout. Gator aid helps.

As we have a lot of dust down this way, if just dusty and no water film etc.., just use the high pressure rinse and soft water rinse. NOTE: do not wipe it down after such as it may/will still have dirt on the paint. I only wipe the truck/car down after a two bucket wash.

Nice vids Dylan....thanks for the tips. I picked up on the detail spray if it has dried in some areas. And I really like how fast/good the Adams green wheel cleaner works.

I'm scared to use that California Squeegee thing. I have 2 of them from days of old and they sit in the garage like the relics they are. Watching youtube vids and seeing the one where they compared 3 new cars (identical) with a local hand-wash place that used the squeegee while drying, local drive-thru place (that grabs they back wheels and pushes you thru) and wash-your-own like Adam used in the vids (altho not as elaborate), ALL 3 proved to be harmful to your paint when looked at by a pro with a paint guage.

I'll stick to my home washes, leaf-blower(clean filters)/air compressor (with moisture removal filter) and my Adam's MF towel setup for cleaning my car and maintaining my shine.

At least this winter I'm blessed enough to have a (what I think is) pimpin' garage setup (sans the heat) to help me carry the pride of ownership I have.

Yeah that was the video I was talking about as well, here's the youtube link if anyone wants to check it out

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I'm scared to use that California Squeegee thing. I have 2 of them from days of old and they sit in the garage like the relics they are. Watching youtube vids and seeing the one where they compared 3 new cars (identical) with a local hand-wash place that used the squeegee while drying, local drive-thru place (that grabs they back wheels and pushes you thru) and wash-your-own like Adam used in the vids (altho not as elaborate), ALL 3 proved to be harmful to your paint when looked at by a pro with a paint guage.

I'll stick to my home washes, leaf-blower(clean filters)/air compressor (with moisture removal filter) and my Adam's MF towel setup for cleaning my car and maintaining my shine.

At least this winter I'm blessed enough to have a (what I think is) pimpin' garage setup (sans the heat) to help me carry the pride of ownership I have.

I've always heard those water blades were the devil. Fifth Gear did a test where they showed that using one of those did more damage than running the car through a car wash with brushes. I'm surprised Adam endorsed it there.

I've also heard that the soap at a lot of these washes is not ph neutral and can strip wax, any truth to that? I've been concerned about stripping off sealant so i'm always torn on weather to just let the car be dirty or use one of these self wash bays.

I asked that a while back and was told that most of the soaps are pretty safe due to the liability of the whole thing. Question you have to ask yourself is; is it better to leave it salty or to clean with an unknown soap?

I'd say clean with an unknown soap.

Chris

totally needed this thanks dylan. reminds me of this scary conversation with the owner of the laser wash i ran into after i asked if i could fit my truck in it since the height limit is 7 feet and mine is darn near close to it. he wanted to know everything about it and started touching the paint i was freaking out haha.

I've always heard those water blades were the devil. Fifth Gear did a test where they showed that using one of those did more damage than running the car through a car wash with brushes. I'm surprised Adam endorsed it there.

I've also heard that the soap at a lot of these washes is not ph neutral and can strip wax, any truth to that? I've been concerned about stripping off sealant so i'm always torn on weather to just let the car be dirty or use one of these self wash bays.

never seen a foam gun at a self wash before, and the only ones i've been to don't use boar's hair brushes.

No such luxury like that around my parts either.:(

There is NO-WAY i'm using my local car wash brushes on ANY of my vehicle's either :eek::eek::eek:.

as long as the meter is running tell them to pipe down!

the owner is there all day at the one that just opened by my place. i pulled my bucket out and told him that i was going to keep the meter running on "rinse" while i wash my car with my own wash pad and soap. he said, "well as long as your courteous enough to continue to pay me while you clean with your own stuff, i don't care!" i usually only spend about $8 doing it myself there.

This is the arrangement I came to with our local car wash owner. He piped up once, but I pointed to the timer on the wall showing several minutes and he smiled. He did ask me to not do this if there was a line and I will respect that request.

I try to limit this activity to later in the evening or early in the morning as well.

I can't bring myself to use the brush at the coin op. Just can't do it. My car will just have to be a little dirty all winter. The car wash here, yes there is only one, is very anti bucket or anything they don't have really. I used GWC and my tire brush once and they got onto me.

as long as the meter is running tell them to pipe down!

the owner is there all day at the one that just opened by my place. i pulled my bucket out and told him that i was going to keep the meter running on "rinse" while i wash my car with my own wash pad and soap. he said, "well as long as your courteous enough to continue to pay me while you clean with your own stuff, i don't care!" i usually only spend about $8 doing it myself there.

I'm pretty sure ours has a foam gun... Can't remember now though. I know they use boars hair brushes, but I won't touch them. I'd rather leave a film on the car by not touching it, then use a brush and risk damage.

Chris

exactly what i needed!

since i live in an apt, i have to use the self wash year round. i just take my own bucket, shampoo, fender & wheel brushes, and my own wash pad (never use the brush at the place). that is almost the exact same process i use when washing my cars, except i drive home to dry it off. they just opened a new self wash literally next door to my apt complex so its no big deal going home to dry it in my garage, i just vacuum prior to washing the exterior.

never seen a foam gun at a self wash before, and the only ones i've been to don't use boar's hair brushes.

Wish we had a car wash like that by my house. Ours are extremely anti hand washing. If you bring a bucket they will kick you out. They dont have brushes or anything fancy like that.

I've been looking for a small piece of farm property to build a "Storage" Building on.Probably make it just big enough for a boat some lawn mowers and to wash my truck in the winter.

I HATE SNOW MORE THAN ANYTHING! My town/county has a problem determining how much salt is enough salt. They determine enough salt by... if you cant see the snow or the road any more, that's enough.

I HATE snow... WITH A PASSION, but it's the salt they use to melt it, I hate more.

We DO have a REALLY REALLY nice coin op (I use my CC) that I'd like to bop over at some night around 10pm and do a cleaning on my car this winter. Last year I was WAY to lazy and used the touchless wash bay.

Of course my parents garage is 3 bays with a drain and hot running water... Hmm...

Chris

Archived