Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage Floor Coating

Audi X2

Hopefully before long I will be able to finally coat my garage floor and make it look nice like I have always wanted.

I would like some feedback from all that have had experience with different products so that I can try to avoid any potential problems.

The pricing and overall information on the Rustoleum garage floor epoxy seems to be good, but there are a lot of products available.

Here is the only thread I could find, but it is a little old - http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536&highlight=floor.

I am sure others will chime in, but I would also suggest checking out Garage Journal forum -http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/. Lots of information about that type thing, just don't blame me if you get 'sucked' in over there - some amazing work spaces.

Hopefully before long I will be able to finally coat my garage floor and make it look nice like I have always wanted.

I would like some feedback from all that have had experience with different products so that I can try to avoid any potential problems.

The pricing and overall information on the Rustoleum garage floor epoxy seems to be good, but there are a lot of products available.

Don't make the mistake I did, I used the Rustoleum and it did not hold up.

I would go with UCoat It.

Whatever you choose, do not go cheap! With the amount of time and money you will have invested it will not be worth it in the long run.

Just like most things, Prep is key. You can have the Cadillac of products or the Pinto, if you don't prep properly it will fail. Also, try to avoid acid etching. When you use acid you are changing the pH of the concrete, if it is not neutralized properly you will have failure. It also doesn't really get the floor to the best profile you need. Best Method: Find an equipment rental shop and rent a 'Shot Blast Machine.' It will cost a little more, but it will be worth it in the long run

My neighbor has UCOAT IT, I don't. I used the Ru@^@leum stuff because it was cheap and I regret it every day. My neighbor loves to chide me over my decision, but it's hard to be grumpy with or tease a 70+ year old grandma! The R stuff lasted about 6 months before it started coming up. The only thing nice I can say about it is the "sand" I put in it really helps with icy conditions, but Naples, FL is not known for that....:lol:

Notice in this pic it's not just coming up where the hot tires would sit on it, but also at the seams. When time and $$ allow (next summer) I'm grinding it off and going UCOAT IT or better.

Optimumnorinse11-20-09002LargeWebvi.jpg

I just had Garage Envy do my garage (pics are coming, I promise) and I love what they used, but it's about a 6 step process. It was pricey and I almost didn't do it, but really glad I did. like the others have said, not the place to go cheap or you will regret it.

Bruce

A CLEAN mistress, is a HAPPY mistress:confused:.

J/K:cheers:

Smarty Pants! :cheers:

"A CLEAN mistress, is a HAPPY mistress" So is one with junk in her trunk; First Aid kit, Cali Duster, emergency detail bag, winter weather survival gear, antiviral wipes, etc...:D

BTW:

That was a before picture for a write up I did about ONR over on AG....

My husband plans on doing the floor of our pole barn pretty soon so this is a great Thread to show him. :thumbsup:

"pole barn" I use that word out here and people have no idea what I'm talking about.

Bruce

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I've painted about 100 garage floors in my career as a painter. A large part of 'what to use' depends on the condition of the floor before you paint it.

I painted mostly new construction homes, so it was simple. Scrape with a floor scraper to knock off any concrete chunks, drywall mud chunks, etc... clean the floor with water if needed, use a blower to blow out the dust, dirt and don't bother with a broom. If you have access to dropcloths (or anything like that), roll them up longways and lay them outside the garage door(s) to prevent any dust from blowing back in at the ground level.

Start by cutting it in with a 3"or 4" brush, one you plan to toss after you're done. I keep old brushes for this purpose. Cut the whole garage in, even accounting for where the floor joins up with the driveway. Using a 1/2" roller (shed resistant) and a 4'-8' extension pole... start rolling. Backroll each section as you go! In other words, roll out a few rollers worth, then without dipping, go back and run the roller back over the whole thing again. This assures it's all laid down evenly and that there aren't any 'holidays' (missed patches) in the paint work.

As for what kind? That's up to you.

Epoxy is the best and most durable, but one of the most labor intensive/hardest to tolerate while doing it.

Concrete stain (xylene based) is simple and nice, but not as durable. Easy to touch up tho. Cheaper too.

Get paint at a paint store. Not Lowes / Home Depot.

The flakes are nice too, adds that Terrazo (sp) look to it.

The floor in my double garage was painted with a Lowe's floor paint and needs redone. I will go with Epoxy to assure that it bonds. Next spring, baby. Next spring.

Don't forget to use caution tape (or masking) to block off any doorways or paths to the garage when you're done. People have a tendency to be absent minded when they walk into/out of a house.

We use that name down here as well. Maybe it's a 'farming area' type thing?

Born and raised in So Cal, I think I picked it up while traveling in the south and it stuck, kind of like my accent that comes out sometimes.

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that contributed to my quest for a garage floor coating.

I ordered the U-Coat It product earlier this week. I have been cleaning and organizing my garage for the last several weeks. Fortunately the house next door to me is vacant and the owner is letting me use the garage for storage of my belongings for a few weeks.

I will give an update once the process is complete and post some pictures.

Archived