Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage Heater

Moz

Question

Not sure how many of you are looking for a garage heater for this coming winter?

I stopped at Menards today to see what was offered to heat my garage this winter.My garage is approximently 30'x30' (900sq.ft).I was thinking of going either kerosene or propane (with a CO/Carbon Monoxide detector).

Menards carries a line called "ProCom".I was looking and had interest in the MD300TGA model which is good for up to 1000sq.ft:

picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=2416

The MD300TGA unit weighs around 30lbs

picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=2417

These unit's are 99.9% efficient and come with a built in

ODS (OxygenDepletionSystem) monitor.They are dual fuel capable (Natural Gas or Propane).The 20,000BTU/30,000BTU models come with Blower and base feet (does NOT have to be mounted on the ceiling.)

picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=2418

I know this may not interest and may not be for everyone,but posted this info for those who are.The MD300TGA (30K BTU) model is under $200 and comes with a 1 year limited warranty.

Thanks,

Moz :cheers:

13 answers to this question

Moz how well insulated is your garage? Mine is about the same size as yours the insulation is not the greatest and I use a 40,000 btu torpedo heater. It takes the chill out but by no means is the garage nice and toasty.

It's not well insulated at all (next year).You can see the studs/trusses in these pic's:

Guest Gone & Forgotten

Shrink-wrap those windows for the winter, should help a little. If I lived closer, I'd help ya insulate and drywall. (what I do)

Shrink-wrap those windows for the winter, should help a little. If I lived closer, I'd help ya insulate and drywall. (what I do)

I'll fly ya up,can we start tomorrow?(J/K;)).

I was thinking of putting up some plastic (thickest mm offered) over window's and ceiling.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

6 mil is as heavy as you can get on a roll at home depot/lowes. The windows would be fine with a window kit. trim to fit, apply the double sided sticky around it, put plastic on, blow dry to shrink wrap em... done. Just stick the tape to frame around the window since it's 2x4 anyway and won't hurt ya in the spring when you remove it.

I'm getting a kit this weekend for my crusty @$$ windows in my garage. Also getting either a few of the Owens Corning Garage door insulation kits or some rolls of Reflectix to insulate all 3 of the garage doors here. Gotta do the math as far as fitment per roll/kit and cost before I buy tho.

I just wanna find someone that does the expanding foam insulation to spray my rafters so I don't have to drywall the ceiling in my garage. I like the exposed rafters.

I just wanna find someone that does the expanding foam insulation to spray my rafters so I don't have to drywall the ceiling in my garage. I like the exposed rafters.

Is that "In Code",not having to drywall (with expanding foam insullation)?

Guest Gone & Forgotten

I'm sure the drywall would add some level or R-factor to the insulation of the bldg, as well as the space between the foamed roof decking (underside) and the drywalled ceiling, but I like having full access to all of the wiring and other crap I stuffed up there.

I'd also like to show off that I have spray-foam insulation in my garage ;) Chicks dig it... (well, my wife might)

I gotta rewire the place anyway, dude who owned this place before me was a duct-tape guru.

Archived