Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is painter tape safe to stay on a car's paint for few days?

Fierce5

I have decided to fix all the imperfections I found after my first detail to the Camaro, but I have decided to take my time and point the imperfections I find with small pieces of blue painter tape (3M). Everyday I go to the garage and under different light conditions I look into different parts of the car and point imperfections. So is it safe to keep the painter tape on the car for few days or a week?

You should be fine on that new car. I wouldn't think you are pushing hard on the tape to 'seal' it down, so just remove it slowly and carefully. Usually the residue comes off with a wipe of a microfiber towel. If not try APC with a cotton towel (since you're already correcting it, don't worry about another fine scratch!).

I apologize in advance for the thread jack Gabriel!

Oh, I am glad this question was asked because when I take my roadtrip from VA to FL in December I am masking my whole front end (minus the lights and honeycomb) to reduce the amount of cleaning I need to do when I get there. :)

Brandi, check out Don's cross-country odyssey in this thread - My Plum Crazy Challenger is at the Dealer http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5412&highlight=plum

Teaser pics on page 5, but the trip begins on page 8 - enjoy!

Thank you al for your reply, now i feel I can take my time pointing out the imperfections and then correcting them all at the same time. :D

I will post pictures this time for the car as soon as I'm done, I will also makesure that I buy the green tape next time, its probably only found in he auto parts stores since I dont recall seeing any green tape at the home depot.

Thank you all again for the answers, very helpful :2thumbs:

I've had some issues leaving blue tape on rubber trim on my truck for a week. It was relatively hot and kind-of left the trim textured. I'll try to snap some pics but I can tell you it happened around the windshield and door molding on my Silverado. It isn't something you would notice but if you look really close you can see the edge of where the tape was.

Blue WILL work with no issues as long as the temps are low and it's out of the sun, BUT I'd use green. I've used blue in the past with ZERO issues as long as I stuck to the previously mentioned criteria.

• 1 month later...

Archived