Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wool Pads Anyone?

KodiakBlack

Question

18 answers to this question

what kinda foam pads do you guys recommend? i have most of the pads that i need. i have black, white, yellow, orange, red, blue. i had the older gen Adams pads with the quick disco in the middle, i didnt really like them at all. so i got these and now 2 or 3 of my pads barely stick to the velco at not even 6 months old.... which pads are good pads and where can i get a purple pad?

its not the pads, it is the backing plate.

I've got a Lake Country Yellow pad too, it works just fine. 20 minutes on a damaged panel with a Yellow pad on a PC with SHR really isn't that bad. You'd then move to an Orange pad with SHR. The Yellow pad is inducing Micro marring the White pad isn't going to be able to remove. Once the scratches and swirls are out with the Orange finish polishing with the White pad and FMP. The Revive is for hand application, I'm not sure how it would compare to FMP when used on a White pad with the PC. The directions on the Revive bottles instructions recommend to apply SHR and Revive mixed to remove moderate swirls. The directions make me belive this is more of a paint cleaner and may also act as a filler or glaze, not a polish.

haha i never thought of that! ive used the revive on my white pad for a while now, its kinda hard to use because it doesnt look like your applying it, but i just use a decent amount and it seems to work fine! maybe im just way too impatient! or maybe my customers dont realize that i can only work so fast. idk! everyone tells me that i work too slow. i spent 9+ hours just working swirrels out of this dodge the other week and the guy told me i need to speed it up :confused:

I've got a Lake Country Yellow pad too, it works just fine. 20 minutes on a damaged panel with a Yellow pad on a PC with SHR really isn't that bad. You'd then move to an Orange pad with SHR. The Yellow pad is inducing Micro marring the White pad isn't going to be able to remove. Once the scratches and swirls are out with the Orange finish polishing with the White pad and FMP. The Revive is for hand application, I'm not sure how it would compare to FMP when used on a White pad with the PC. The directions on the Revive bottles instructions recommend to apply SHR and Revive mixed to remove moderate swirls. The directions make me belive this is more of a paint cleaner and may also act as a filler or glaze, not a polish.

Using wool pads is some serious poo-poo. I honestly don't know if I'll ever come in contact with a car that needs that kind of work. I use a rotary with 3M compound and wool pads on my fathers boat - but that's fiberglass.

I agree while wool pads have uses on extremely thrashed finishes, but they are mostly unnecessary now a days. many detail bays have stoped using them now because it takes alot of time before you can trust a new detailer with one not counting the extra training needed to be sure its done right. The only reason i have not ordered the yellow pads yet is i have heard talk of a more aggressive polish/compound and possible matching pad.

The swril and haze with a few passes does great wonders and honestly only a few instances would call for a stronger compound/ pad combo, commercially. Unless of course you start getting into the whole dreaded wet sanding and paint chip repair/touch up & then you are kinda getting into the body shop spectrum of paint care.

no i dont, but i just think i dont have patients for an orange pad. or the orange pad just doesnt do justice on my black paints!

its not the backing plate because 5 of my other pads stick perfectly fine....:confused:

My car was NO WHERE as bad as the ones Taig sees but the orange pad worked more than well enough. I'd recommend a Flex if the PC doesn't work for you in the time allotted. I think with the new Mean Green and the new green pad, you'll have better luck.

Most of the time what I do is use a orange or yellow spot pad on my corded drill to remove the bad scratches and then go over the whole area with the PC to remove the small ones left behind by the rotary.

Chris

Do you have the 2nd gen Adams pads? If not... Get some... They're worth the cost.

Chris

no i dont, but i just think i dont have patients for an orange pad. or the orange pad just doesnt do justice on my black paints!

its not the pads, it is the backing plate.

its not the backing plate because 5 of my other pads stick perfectly fine....:confused:

what kinda foam pads do you guys recommend? i have most of the pads that i need. i have black, white, yellow, orange, red, blue. i had the older gen Adams pads with the quick disco in the middle, i didnt really like them at all. so i got these and now 2 or 3 of my pads barely stick to the velco at not even 6 months old.... which pads are good pads and where can i get a purple pad?

Do you have the 2nd gen Adams pads? If not... Get some... They're worth the cost.

Chris

hahha oh man! i did every thing u guys told me not to. i tried it on my black 454ss cuz the swirls were horrible and the yellow pad just didnt do justice! i put some rubbing compound on the pad and went to town on level 6! didnt do it for very long, just really quick because i do understand how fast they cut. i followed it up with some revive on my white pad and it looks almost perfect.

Jordan, using rubbing compound is extreme. Using rubbing compound with a wool wheel is hard core extreme!

I've used wool wheels in the past. My first experience buffing on cars was with a wool wheel/rotary combo. One thing I can tell you is that you ALWAYS want to keep moving. With the combo you're using, you can burn the paint in a blink of an eye. Another thing is maybe keep your RPM around 1500. Other than that good luck. Personally, I would either go foam wheel with the rubbing compound or SHR with wool. But I would work my way up to it starting with a foam wheel/FMP combo.

Using wool pads is some serious poo-poo. I honestly don't know if I'll ever come in contact with a car that needs that kind of work. I use a rotary with 3M compound and wool pads on my fathers boat - but that's fiberglass.

IMO, just avoid wool altogether. I used wool pads for years, and I think it is just out dated and not needed, also very dangerous in the inexperienced hands.

The foam and compound/polish technology out today is just as effective when used correctly. Yes it cuts faster but the chances of creating buffer trails and blowing through on corners is just too high.

It's your decision but I don't think it's worth the time to learn, I do this for a living and don't even feel it's needed.

anyone have an experience with wool pads? i picked up a 3m wool pad and some 3m rubbing compound for heavy swirl removal. holy macerol does this thing cut FAST. anyone have any good techniques or tips?

Practice, practice, practice......on something you don't care too much about first. Worst thing you can do is try buffing on something for the first few times and be nervous about screwing up the paint. Do small test areas! Tape your edges and dont go near them till your comfortable. There are many videos on you-tube regarding the subject.

One main reason Adam's has not carried these types of products is that they are very risky to your paint. I highly recommend getting a professional to do cutting beyond what a dual action polishing pad will cut unless of course you are experienced and really understand how fast a wool pad will cut. Using the porter cable foam pads can be learned in 10 minutes and using a wool pad is a whole different animal.

Good side is...once you got it, it makes detailing much easier.

Good luck!

Archived