Customer Service 866.965.0400

Health warning

Boosted

Question

I think AJ / Adam should put a health warning on their videos:jester:

Just finished claying the car, 6 hours including washing. Feet, arms and back are sore:( actually I think every muscle is crying out. I used AJ's aggressive technique:glasses: and it feels smooth as. Still got 2x polishing and a wax to go:help: Luckily I've got a :pc:

Is it normal to need more than a bottle of detail spray in one session? I had to get another bottle(OTC). Should of got the gallon, but at $90 I went for the cheaper option ($30 16oz) didn't work out cheaper:(

The bonnet, roof etc was really bad. In some places I had to fold the clay over 4 times in a 2 foot area. It was yellow from pollen. The vertical surfaces were quite good, only 1 fold.

Is it ok to attack to swirls tonight and then carry on tomorrow morning with the polish and wax? It's under cover, would I need to give it another wash / wipe down with detail spray tomorrow?

Picked up a Nilfisk water blaster and it came with the foam spray bottle. Used a 4:1 ratio with Adam's car wash and worked really well.

• Answers 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rick,

I agree on claying, IMO its lame but then, you get a real nice smooth finish.

Nice results so far :) what kind of rims are those Rays?

I'm glad the worst part is over, shouldn't be so hard next time. Not too happy, not sure if it's the blue pearl or the products. Next time I'll use all Adam's products:)

The wheels are DTM Hiro's in hyper black. Not sure what the 'axis' stands for. They fit Brembo's which is why I upgraded from the factory ones. 245x35x19 front and 275x30x19 rear Falken FK452 tyres. Wheels are nice and easy to clean:D

Hey Rick,

I agree on claying, IMO its lame but then, you get a real nice smooth finish.

Nice results so far :) what kind of rims are those Rays?

Claying is not lame at all. It is the necessary foundation of the shine that I have achieved in my paint. Before you can deal with the clear coat and achieve a mirror like finish, you must remove that layer of grime that separates you from the clear coat. If you do not remove that layer of grime, then you will never achieve the level of shine that I can achieve. Claying is one of the most important steps in the whole regiment.

I'm with you Rick. Claying is one of the most back breaking, muscle killing parts of the whole process. It took me 3 days to do my whole car. I did not enjoy it at all but talk about a baby butt smooth finish, mine is sweet to this day. Mt car lives in the garage though.

As far as how much you can do and where it is okay to stop, I do it this way. I clay as much of the car as I want to and stop after finishing the panel that I'm working on. I can come back and pick up where I left off the next day. Once I start the swirl removing process, I first figure out how many passes that it is going to take with SHR in order to get a 2x2' area perfect. Keep in mind that I go for perfection, where someone else may be satisfied with less than perfection. Everyone has their own level of satisfaction so What may be acceptable for me may be overkill for you.

I will begin working a panel with SHR until I complete that panel. If I get tired, I stop once the panel that I am working on is swirl free using SHR. Notice that I said nothing about using FMP. I will not break out FMP until I have completed the entire car with SHR and I am satisfied with the results that I have achieved. I can come back on another day and pick up where I left off using SHR until I have completed the entire car. Only at that point will I move to FMP. I will do with FMP just as I did with SHR. If I get tired, I'll finish that panel and stop. I'll pick up where I left off the next day.

One thing that I don't do that Adam does is use FMP on top of SHR at the same time. He's why. SHR removes swirls, scratches and haze. When I do a pass with SHR, how do I know that all the swirls, scratches and haze has been removed from the paint if I don't wipe off the SHR and look at the paint? Since I know what SHR does, I don't want to move to FMP until I am positive that SHR is no longer needed. The last thing that I want to do is use FMP and realize that there is damage still in the paint and have to use SHR again. That means that I have just wasted the FMP that I used because every time that I use SHR, it must be followed with FMP. Thus, I buff, wipe off and inspect. I will do that with SHR as many times as it takes until all the damage is gone. Only then will I move to FMP.

As I said before, I go for perfection. Adam use to do this for money and is not going to spend the time on one car to make it perfect, nor are his customers going to give him their car for weeks at a time in order for him to make it perfect. He's got to eat and feed his family. I on the other hand don't do this for money and the only car I'm going to fix is my own. I won't even do my girlfriend's car. Thus, I got all the time in the world and can go as slow as a snail. That's exactly what I do. That also explains why Adam and I do this two different ways.

Once you're done claying, you've done the hard part. Using my technique, you make the polisher work for you. Adam does it the opposite, working the polisher in order to speed up the results. Again, I have all day and that's why my technique is as you see in my videos. Time is not a factor in my life unless I'm fixing your network. Then it's $130 an hour. :D

There's my 2 cents. That was probably more like 10 bucks and some change. :confused:

Claying is not lame at all. It is the necessary foundation of the shine that I have achieved in my paint. Before you can deal with the clear coat and achieve a mirror like finish, you must remove that layer of grime that separates you from the clear coat. If you do not remove that layer of grime, then you will never achieve the level of shine that I can achieve. Claying is one of the most important steps in the whole regiment.

I'm with you Rick. Claying is one of the most back breaking, muscle killing parts of the whole process. It took me 3 days to do my whole car. I did not enjoy it at all but talk about a baby butt smooth finish, mine is sweet to this day. Mt car lives in the garage though.

As far as how much you can do and where it is okay to stop, I do it this way. I clay as much of the car as I want to and stop after finishing the panel that I'm working on. I can come back and pick up where I left off the next day. Once I start the swirl removing process, I first figure out how many passes that it is going to take with SHR in order to get a 2x2' area perfect. Keep in mind that I go for perfection, where someone else may be satisfied with less than perfection. Everyone has their own level of satisfaction so What may be acceptable for me may be overkill for you.

I will begin working a panel with SHR until I complete that panel. If I get tired, I stop once the panel that I am working on is swirl free using SHR. Notice that I said nothing about using FMP. I will not break out FMP until I have completed the entire car with SHR and I am satisfied with the results that I have achieved. I can come back on another day and pick up where I left off using SHR until I have completed the entire car. Only at that point will I move to FMP. I will do with FMP just as I did with SHR. If I get tired, I'll finish that panel and stop. I'll pick up where I left off the next day.

One thing that I don't do that Adam does is use FMP on top of SHR at the same time. He's why. SHR removes swirls, scratches and haze. When I do a pass with SHR, how do I know that all the swirls, scratches and haze has been removed from the paint if I don't wipe off the SHR and look at the paint? Since I know what SHR does, I don't want to move to FMP until I am positive that SHR is no longer needed. The last thing that I want to do is use FMP and realize that there is damage still in the paint and have to use SHR again. That means that I have just wasted the FMP that I used because every time that I use SHR, it must be followed with FMP. Thus, I buff, wipe off and inspect. I will do that with SHR as many times as it takes until all the damage is gone. Only then will I move to FMP.

As I said before, I go for perfection. Adam use to do this for money and is not going to spend the time on one car to make it perfect, nor are his customers going to give him their car for weeks at a time in order for him to make it perfect. He's got to eat and feed his family. I on the other hand don't do this for money and the only car I'm going to fix is my own. I won't even do my girlfriend's car. Thus, I got all the time in the world and can go as slow as a snail. That's exactly what I do. That also explains why Adam and I do this two different ways.

Once you're done claying, you've done the hard part. Using my technique, you make the polisher work for you. Adam does it the opposite, working the polisher in order to speed up the results. Again, I have all day and that's why my technique is as you see in my videos. Time is not a factor in my life unless I'm fixing your network. Then it's $130 an hour. :D

There's my 2 cents. That was probably more like 10 bucks and some change. :confused:

Well said, as previously mentioned in your videos, "yo shine ain't gonna be like my shine" but I find it lame, on all the pressure your putting while keeping the clay lubricated, hitting the PC afterward with less energy and all that. :P

Well said, as previously mentioned in your videos, "yo shine ain't gonna be like my shine" but I find it lame, on all the pressure your putting while keeping the clay lubricated, hitting the PC afterward with less energy and all that. :P

That's fine, just don't park next to me at a car show, You'll find out just how lame your shine is! :thumbsup:

I'm with you Rick. Claying is one of the most back breaking, muscle killing parts of the whole process. It took me 3 days to do my whole car. I did not enjoy it at all but talk about a baby butt smooth finish, mine is sweet to this day. Mt car lives in the garage though:

My shoulders, neck and wrists are still sore. I can now see why you ONLY detail your car. I wasn't ready for the amount of detail spray I used - gallon ordered:) Looking for a quality car cover. Also going to pick up a Halogen light, one that has 2 lights and on a stand so I can move it around.

There's my 2 cents. That was probably more like 10 bucks and some change

Much appreciated, I’m sure it’s worth more than $10. A mate of mine is a traditional Maori carver. I'll get something like the pic for you. I'll post it to Adam's (Ashley ?) to pass onto you.

Hei Matau - Fish hook originally carved from Maui's Grandmother's jawbone. Used to fish up the North Island. Brings Good Luck and Prosperity.

I found it hard work, but I'm glad I put the extra effort in:glasses: I used AJ's technique and man is that paint smooth:D :2thumbs:

I've ordered replacement products and Alan is in Auckland next weekend (14th) for a muscle car club detailing clinic. Looks like I'm going to remove the products I used and redo it with Adam's:pc:

Do you know about the Abu Dhabi V8 Supercar race in Feb (10-12th) 2011 at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi. One of the races is in Hamilton NZ and well worth the look.

cheers

Rick

:king:Junkman's Da Man! I watched some of his videos today and aside from busting a gut laughing, I learned quite a lot. It is obvious the man enjoys spending his free time doing what he loves, DETAILING! He's an icon and I really dig his approach to paint care. I never thought I'd meet anyone that is as much or more of a perfectionist as myself. This detailing stuff aint for children. If your muscles are sore, grab some Advil and get over it. If you don't enjoy detailing and givin your car some love as much as Junkman does or you aint a persnickity fuss budget like most of us here, you are wasting your time and your money. Perfection is paramount to most of us. That degree of perfection is different for everyone. If you are looking for cheap and quick, go to your local dept. store or auto parts store and get you some cheap and quick cleaner/wax, throw it on, buff it out, DONE! Your car will look as good as Junkmans Vette at 70 MPH, so who cares! Well, I do and most of us here do and that is why we spend hours and sometimes days detailing our cars. I just bought Adams, SHR, Revive and Americana and I intend to spend hours getting my brand new Mustang perfect. If the results are not 110 percent to my satisfaction, I'm going to take Adam up on his guarantee and trade it for the machine products. My new paint is as close to perfect as you can get, so I am confident using the hand polish product line. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan, so my detailing days are numbered because of winter. The Stang is going into hibernation until April. All it will get is the California Dust Buster over the winter.:(

Hang in there Boosted! We're with ya man. If you need some Advil, I'm your junkie. Remember, yo shine aint gonna be like my shine, unless you give your car lots of love and time.:thumbsup:

:king:Junkman's Da Man! I watched some of his videos today and aside from busting a gut laughing, I learned quite a lot. It is obvious the man enjoys spending his free time doing what he loves, DETAILING! He's an icon and I really dig his approach to paint care. I never thought I'd meet anyone that is as much or more of a perfectionist as myself. This detailing stuff aint for children. If your muscles are sore, grab some Advil and get over it. If you don't enjoy detailing and givin your car some love as much as Junkman does or you aint a persnickity fuss budget like most of us here, you are wasting your time and your money. Perfection is paramount to most of us. That degree of perfection is different for everyone. If you are looking for cheap and quick, go to your local dept. store or auto parts store and get you some cheap and quick cleaner/wax, throw it on, buff it out, DONE! Your car will look as good as Junkmans Vette at 70 MPH, so who cares! Well, I do and most of us here do and that is why we spend hours and sometimes days detailing our cars. I just bought Adams, SHR, Revive and Americana and I intend to spend hours getting my brand new Mustang perfect. If the results are not 110 percent to my satisfaction, I'm going to take Adam up on his guarantee and trade it for the machine products. My new paint is as close to perfect as you can get, so I am confident using the hand polish product line. Unfortunately, I live in Michigan, so my detailing days are numbered because of winter. The Stang is going into hibernation until April. All it will get is the California Dust Buster over the winter.:(

Hang in there Boosted! We're with ya man. If you need some Advil, I'm your junkie. Remember, yo shine aint gonna be like my shine, unless you give your car lots of love and time.:thumbsup:

Giving the Meg's products to my brother. I was hesitant to get rid of them. The price of USA goods in NZ is about 3 to 4x what you pay for it, exchange rate, shipping, tax and population or lack of it. Just keeping the tyre shine and trim detailer at this stage.

I’m going to strip the wax off and start again except for claying:) Alan is coming over next Sunday to drop off my order and give me some tips using the Ryobi polisher. Will be following AJ’s technique fully from now on.

Never heard of Advil before, a mate of mine is a doctor at a hospital in Christchurch (South Island). I usually get him to fax a prescription to the chemist:D

Archived