Customer Service 866.965.0400

2006 GTO Paint Correction

BRZN

I started my Fall Paint correction before her long Winter nap. I had my daughter Michelle snap a few pictures as I went, so I'd thought I'd share :) Enjoy:

The Car's a 2006 Pontiac GTO, she's my baby, used mostly for shows and cruise-ins. I've owned her since new and she's got just a bit over 8,000 miles on her right now. The Color is Brazen Orange Metallic.

First off I lightly dusted her with my California Duster and then wiped her down with WCW.

I chemically stripped off the four coats of last years old wax. I think the chemical strip is easier to use than a "Dawn" wash and it's easier to keep off the trim pieces and rubber so there's less chance it'll dry them out.

IMG_1620resize.jpg

I then look over the entire finish identifying any scratches that will need individual attention. To help, during the show season I'll mark on a small tablet I keep in the glove box, any scratches I notice for later attention. Here I found some scuff marks that came out easily with the Orange Focus Pad and SHR. I also noticed Holograms length wise across the entire Deck Lid, they were no match for the Orange pad and SHR.

IMG_1621resize.jpg

The entire Car gets clayed after the "baggie" test revieled embedded contaminants the chemical strip didn't remove.

IMG_1633resize.jpg

I tape off the Trim pieces and Rubber. It makes clean-up so much easier. I also tape off emblems with sharp edges that'll chew up a pad. Before taping I wipe the rubber down with APC mixed 50-50 to remove old SVRT and dirt this allows the tape to adhere better.

IMG_1639resize.jpg

As for those scratches I identified earlier, I'll tape 'em off and go at 'em with the 4" focus pads on my corded drill. This one (in the center of the picture) actually needed the Yellow pad, that sucker was deep! Then on to the Orange pad: I stopped with the Orange since the entire car ended up needing the Orange pad on the PC with SHR.

IMG_1642resize.jpg

IMG_1646resize.jpg

No need for an after shot, it was gone :banana:

I also hit any tight areas I can't get the PC into with the Focus Pads

IMG_1647resize.jpg

Hey, I'm not the only one that polishes behind their License Plate, am I?

I identified the right quarter panel as the worst and used it as my test panel. I needed to use the Orange pad with SHR to start with.

IMG_1648resize.jpg

The next several pictures show me working the Top, Hood, Sides (I do both above and below the belt line) and the Side Skirts over the Rockers.

IMG_1650resize.jpg

IMG_1655resize.jpg

IMG_1653resize.jpg

IMG_1652resize.jpg

Delicate areas such as the Door Handles I did by hand with SHR and Revive Polish on a Double Sided Flip pad.

IMG_1656resize.jpg

Not looking too bad:

IMG_1654resize.jpg

I'll update this thread when I move on, next to the White pad and FMP. I've got other "chores" to do today. :)

Part 2: http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=155189#post155189

I agree with Chris, a great write up and 'how to' for someone new to machine polishing! :thumbsup: Good luck with the rest.

I have those black nitrile gloves too. I like the way they look over the blue ones, but they are not to be worn in the sun!

I do behind the tags too! Hey, you already have it off, right.

Please PM me your wax strip product info.

Very nice Dave, man look at that mans face using that PC:pc::cheers:

He is a man on a mission.

The look on my face you ask? That look is the facial expression of a man on a mission alright, a mission to achive 100% paint correction! :pc:

Dave's a concentratin' fool when it comes to the Goat...and ANY of the BRZN motor carriages! I guess that I'll have to do my own writeup when I begin the correction process on the wife's Subaru very shortly. The difference should/ will be nothing less than AMAZING. Ray, you're drafted if you wanna help!:willy:

Dave's a concentratin' fool when it comes to the Goat...and ANY of the BRZN motor carriages! I guess that I'll have to do my own writeup when I begin the correction process on the wife's Subaru very shortly. The difference should/ will be nothing less than AMAZING. Ray, you're drafted if you wanna help!:willy:

I will be there. I have the urge to detail right now.

My daily driver gets 20,000+/year.

The Goat only comes out for Shows, Cruise-ins, Nice "Sunday Afternoon" drives :burnout:, or Special Events (she was in a wedding this past summer). She leeds a pampered life.

Nice job Dave. Your paint looks amazing!! :rockon::rockon:

Thanks Teresa!

As always Dave... your car makes our products look good! LOL

Thank You sir, and Vice Versa!

Bob, Ray: invite me to the party too! You know Bob, I work for food and beer! ;)

The Newspaper on the Windshield John? It's not there to protect the glass, I learned a long time ago this was so much easier than removing the cowling or wiper arms to remove "sling" that made its way into a hundred little "nooks and crannies"!

The black gloves help keep my hands from drying out with all the product that gets in contact with them through the process.

The black gloves help keep my hands from drying out with all the product that gets in contact with them through the process.

Very true Dave.

Nitrile gloves should be a part of every detailer's tools. They keep any chemicals from penetrating your skin. I buy them by the box (available at your local DIY store - HD, ACE. Lowes) and have a pair of long, thick ones that I wear while cleaning pads and brushes.

Safety first boys and girls!

• 10 months later...

Archived