Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do I wash the Car after Claying??

ONEFASTURBO

Question

24 answers to this question

Why can't you wax over the DS residue? I have done several cars like this over the summer. I have clayed and went straight to buttery wax. Just curious if I am doing something wrong?

I think the reasoning is that anything left over from the clay, the DS, dust, etc will now be under the wax.

I wash, then clay, and then I just rince off the car with water then spray with DS and dry again. That doesn't take as long and uses less product. Then I use the bag test over the car to make sure I got everything. Then on to polish/correction. Water/DS/Dry and on to wax.

That is my taking time version. If time is a factor, I wash, clay, polish, waterless wash, and wax.

i go with wash with dawn, clay, wipe down with DS, polish, WW the whole car....i use a fair amount of WW on each panel so i go through 4 WW towels in the process so i make sure i get everything off

You dont wash with Adam's after washing with Dawn? I'd be worried that you didnt get all of the dawn out of a crack or off the paint and would just eat right through the wax.

I plan on claying my car next week. I will be using the clay bar and lubricate with DS.

However, after I clay a section, do I wash the area or just go on to the next step with SHR and an orange pad, without washing?

Thanks

Welcome!!!

What part of NJ are you from? If you ever need anyone to drive the car when you are away please feel free to call me!!!!

I do wash my truck, Jeep and Firebird down after. Why? I am not really sure I just feel better doing it.:lolsmack:

Well thank you, Socrates! :lolsmack:

I should charge you for those little gems! :D

I believe it was Henry Ford who said something along the lines of: Give me an impossible task and I will find a lazy man to do it. He will find the most efficient and cost effective way to get it done.

I like the way he thinks!

When attempting to understand a man's process, don't just ask them what and how they do what they do, ask them why they do what they do. Once you hear the logic behind their thinking, it will weed out a lot of opinions. If it doesn't logically make sense to you, then it may not make sense at all. :)

I believe it was Henry Ford who said something along the lines of: Give me an impossible task and I will find a lazy man to do it. He will find the most efficient and cost effective way to get it done.

When attempting to understand a man's process, don't just ask them what and how they do what they do, ask them why they do what they do. Once you hear the logic behind their thinking, it will weed out a lot of opinions. If it doesn't logically make sense to you, then it may not make sense at all. :)

Well thank you, Socrates! :lolsmack:

I clay and wipe each panel down when I am done with it.

I do it this way too. I prefer to wash in evening, then clay and wipe down in the garage. I let it sit overnight and begin the polishing the next morning. :pc:

It is kind of funny to see all the variants but just goes to show ya there's no exact science for any of this. Me..I dawn wash, clay, adams wash, dry, polish, wax. I dont throw in another wash after the polishing. Seems to work. I recently just tried washing, then foaming the car and clayin using the foaming as a lubricant but it didnt seem to stay wet long enough to clay the whole car so I had to use DS while claying anyways.

Also, for me..when I use DS while claying by the time i'm done the ds is dried on pretty good and tough to get off in spots so i figure I'm better washing it off drying it then on to polishing.

Why can't you wax over the DS residue? I have done several cars like this over the summer. I have clayed and went straight to buttery wax. Just curious if I am doing something wrong?

You could seal in any dirt left over from the claying process.

IMO it's best to wipe the panels clean before waxing/sealing.

Chris

Let's me first say the 911 turbo is my dream car. Back to business:

You can clay the car then wash it - some guys swear by that. Me personally I wipe down the panel after claying therefore removing anything left behind. Try both methods - but personally I think washing the car again is a waste of time/product.

Thanks for the info. BTW the Porsche 911 turbo is more than awesome! Power is never-ending and handling is superb! My car has PDK and I can run the 1/4 mile in the mid to high 10's! Great street car.

Let's me first say the 911 turbo is my dream car. Back to business:

You can clay the car then wash it - some guys swear by that. Me personally I wipe down the panel after claying therefore removing anything left behind. Try both methods - but personally I think washing the car again is a waste of time/product.

I plan on claying my car next week. I will be using the clay bar and lubricate with DS.

However, after I clay a section, do I wash the area or just go on to the next step with SHR and an orange pad, without washing?

Thanks

You can buff/polish/correct right over the DS residue...

You can't WAX over it though.

Usually what I do is wash, clay, polish/correct, wash, and wax/seal.

Chris

I would clay the entire car, wash it down and then start with the correction. If you have to do it in sections due to time etc, then I would wash down the section clayed before correction. Just to remove all contaminents from an area you are going to hit with the PC, no sense risking leaving anything behind to screw around with the polishing phase.

Archived