Customer Service 866.965.0400

Check Your Tires

70'sChevyGirl

I live in Metro Detroit and over the past 2 months there have been many accidents involving tires.

Please check your lug nuts on all of your wheels.

DETROIT - For the fifth time in two months, a tire has flown off a moving vehicle and crashed into another car. It happened twice on Tuesday while FOX 2 was investigating Monday night's deadly accident at I-696 and Coolidge.

The latest incident happened at I-75 and the Davidson around 4:00 p.m. Tuesday. A tire flew off of an SUV and hit a car. The driver of that SUV said he just had a spare tire put on at a tire shop at 9 Mile and I-75. Fortunately, the female driver of the other vehicle wasn't injured.

Monday at Coolidge and I-696, 44-year-old Athir Qarana from Commerce Township lost his life. He was traveling in his SUV when suddenly a tire was dislodged from another vehicle. It smashed through his windshield.

State Police are very much aware that this is anomaly. It doesn't happen all the time, so they're asking people be careful.

"There (have) been five incidents where tires have fallen off or dislodged from the vehicle and struck other vehicles. Again, I would recommend that motorists... get their tires and lug nuts checked at least twice a year to make sure the tires are secure and they are not in a position where they will come off when you're going at a high rate of speed on the freeway," said Michigan State Police Sergeant Keyonn Whitfield.

Back in September at I-75 and Green, a tire that was sitting loosely in the back of a truck actually flew off and hit another car. In that case, the person was not killed.

In October on the Southfield Freeway, a college student driving was hit by a tire that also dislodged from a truck. It slammed into her windshield and took her life.

So, to recap, there have been five incidents of tires falling off of cars or trucks in the past two months. Two people have lost their lives because of it. Fortunately, the other three were not injured.

I don't have lug nuts on my tires Teresa...

My wheels do though. I ALWAYS torque them to spec with a torque wrench.

Check your tire pressures too though. Cold is here, which means the pressures inside the tires will be dropping. Mine tell me what they are and they've dropped around 3psi all the way around.

Chris

That is funny (not as in send out the clown funny but funny as in not laughable) I blew out all four tires at 696 and telegraph once. That was when I lived in Utica.

We had snow here in Denver yesterday and the check tire presure alarm went off. The cold is here.

That is funny (not as in send out the clown funny but funny as in not laughable) I blew out all four tires at 696 and telegraph once. That was when I lived in Utica.

We had snow here in Denver yesterday and the check tire presure alarm went off. The cold is here.

I hope you didn't get hurt.

Could you imagine looking up and seeing a tire doing 80 mph heading right towards you and you have nowhere to go?? :help:

I hope you didn't get hurt.

Could you imagine looking up and seeing a tire doing 80 mph heading right towards you and you have nowhere to go?? :help:

No I didn't get hurt. There was a bunch of little bits of metal in the road and I thought I blew my left front tire. Detroit roads just suck. Remember 94 before the super bowl? wow. If you drove down that road and your CD player didn't skip you knew you bought a good cd player. Anyway. I got out and called my supervisor on the radio and told him I was going to be late getting to the job site while I changed the tire. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: I am going to be a little late. I have a flat. (looking at left rear)

Boss: No problem.

ME: (looking at left front) Do you think you could come down here I might need your spare tire.

Boss: What is wrong with yours?

Me: I am already using it on another flat tire. (walking around to passenger side)

Boss: What? You blew two tires?

Me: (upon seeing the passenger side tires) And you might want to see if Jason and Mike can come down here too. I'm going to need their's as well.

Boss: WHAT!!!!!! NO!!!! Call a tow truck!

Check your tire pressures too though. Cold is here, which means the pressures inside the tires will be dropping. Mine tell me what they are and they've dropped around 3psi all the way around.

Chris

I went whole hog this morning with the new snow tires and had the shop do the nitrogen thing for $5 a tire. First time I have ever tried it.

Anyone here try nitrogen before?

I went whole hog this morning with the new snow tires and had the shop do the nitrogen thing for $5 a tire. First time I have ever tried it.

Anyone here try nitrogen before?

Do you know how much money they make on that?

We sell nitrogen in bulk form and we literally sell a tank to these places for 20 bucks. They fill dozens of tires with that tank.

I actually have a nitrogen tank in my garage that I use on all my tires. Bikes and all.

Just so everyone is aware... 70% give or take of the air we breathe is Nitrogen. It's not so much the size of the molecule but the fact that it's VERY VERY dry. An air compressor puts a TON of water in the air, even if you have a great air dryer. Less water in the "air" means less pressure gain or loss when it gets hot or cold. This is the reason race cars have used it for years. They can keep their tire pressures more constant.

Chris

Chris

Archived