Customer Service 866.965.0400

Worst Case Scenario!

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

So I wanted to do a worst case scenario car to see what I can do with it. I found the perfect candidate from a girl I work with. A 2000 Honda Civic (Black) with 142k miles DD. It might have been washed 10 times since new. It hasn't been washed or anything in over 2 years.

I think this one is worse than the Junkman's DD.

Since she is a single mom and I wanted the before and after pics I cut her a really good deal.

I only have the car for about 30 hours and I have to sleep. But I'm gonna give it my best shot.

PICS

WARNING!!!! Look at pics at your own risk!!

As you can see I have my work cut out for me. Hope to post after pics late tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,

Len

Yep. I let it soak while I washed the car. Then I went at 'em. I don't think there is any way all of them will come off without sandpaper. About to go do the carpet.

Believe it or not... Seafoam makes a bug remover that literally turns them into a jelly like substance and they wipe right off. Also... A Magic Eraser does wonders for removing them, but DOES scratch the paint. For the windows, they're a DREAM!

Chris

Definitely a scary sight!

On a side note that's the kind of car I want to see the Adams boys take on for help dvds. For me I am working on more cars like that than any sort of non daily driver well kept cars.

On a side note that's the kind of car I want to see the Adams boys take on for help dvds. For me I am working on more cars like that than any sort of non daily driver well kept cars.

Agreed! Problem is, there's more money to be made with the high dollar car guys so they want to make sure people understand this is a premium product. I believe that's why you see them using a ZR1 or Ferarri when they can.

This is why I think there should be a main high dollar video production and then have some off the cuff lower dollar ones done for things like bug and tar removal and shining exhaust pipes, cleaning door jambs, and other odd ball things.:o

JMO of course.

:iagree: To turn a swirled up nightmare into swirl-free 'better than new' look is what everyone wants for their cars when they consider these products. The next DVD should really show extreme correction with the Adam's products. Don't care so much about the brand of car - that's why I liked the Version 5, because they also did a truck.

I think the search for a Z06 or ZR1 in bad condition is going to be tough.

Agreed! Problem is, there's more money to be made with the high dollar car guys so they want to make sure people understand this is a premium product. I believe that's why you see them using a ZR1 or Ferarri when they can.

This is why I think there should be a main high dollar video production and then have some off the cuff lower dollar ones done for things like bug and tar removal and shining exhaust pipes, cleaning door jambs, and other odd ball things.:o

JMO of course.

Unless they're charging the guys with Ferraris more money for their bottle of SVRT then me with a daily driver I'm not sure I follow your logic there. How are they making more money off the high dollar car guys vs the DD guys? It can be a premium product and still work just as well on a show car as a 145k mile scratched to all hell car too no? I'm confused.:confused:

Part of it, too, is that from a marketing standpoint you can make a "typically" neglected Ferrari look MUCH better than a typically neglected 1990 Camaro. (Meaning that a hard-life Ferrari will still never be as far gone as the $5K fun car you find in the local classifieds). And if you show a video of that Camaro done to 90%, there will still be a lot of people out there who don't appreciate just how much was accomplished and will say, "Adam's isn't all that... I can still see where the car was keyed" or whatever. :willy:

That said, though, I really like seeing the "saves" that people do on daily drivers, their spouses cars, etc -- To those in the know, those kinds of details show how amazingly effective Adam's stuff can be. :thumbsup:

Unless they're charging the guys with Ferraris more money for their bottle of SVRT then me with a daily driver I'm not sure I follow your logic there. How are they making more money off the high dollar car guys vs the DD guys? It can be a premium product and still work just as well on a show car as a 145k mile scratched to all hell car too no? I'm confused.:confused:

Sorry I wasn't clear... They're going for an image and I don't think a 2000 Civic beat to poop is it. lol What I was getting at is that people that can afford the nicer cars tend to buy the premium products. I'd say a car like yours or mine would MORE than suffice though. The Audi they just did would be PERFECT IMO. See what it can REALLY do. :)

I agree with you though. I'm just a blue collar guy myself and only dream of having a 100,000 plus dollar car. I'd be happy with Adam doing his Excursion.

Chris

Thanks to everyone for the comments. Some were to say the least "very entertaining".

After a total of 17 hours this is as good as it gets.

2 passes yellow

2 passes orange

1 pass FMP

Revive polish

1 coat of Americana

This is in addition to what I did yesterday.

Oh, I did the headlights today too.

PICS

I might have got about 20 -30 % of the scratches out (maybe more). I wasn't counting. I didn't have time to use the focus pads on the drill on all of them. I did use the focus pads on the tight areas. I completely used up my yellow focus pad.

What I wasn't counting on is the damaged paint beneath all the dirt. The paint has actually cracked on the hood. Very small cracks but still cracked.

Off to bed now. I have to get up at 3:30am to go to work.

Thanks again,

Len

Wow, that is nice work! I wonder how the owner of the car face looked like.

Lol yeah on a turn around like this we must remember the pics of the owners face at first look of the car.

I would even cover it with a light linen for a reveal, since you basically gave her the detail.

:bow::bow::bow::bow::king::bow::bow::bow::bravo:

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

OMG really for only 30hrs thats a great job!!!! A true testament to Adams polishes to that ought to winn the best detail award ....you should enter this car in it

Thanks. Actually I had the car for 30 hours but only had about 17 to work on it. A mans gotta sleep.

That's an awesome turn around!

You should be proud. Hopefully she'll do you the favor of keeping it SOME WHAT clean.

Oh and just so you are aware, that link gives people access to ALL your ME galleries. I'm a ME user myself.

Cheers,

Chris

That is one amazing transformation!

A couple of weeks ago I worked on my sisters neglected Mercedes E350, but it was nothing near as bad as this.

I think on this one something more aggressive than the SHR may have created a little less work and hopefully Adams new compound will be a reality soon :xfingers:

It never ceases to amaze me how people treat their vehicles.

That's an awesome turn around!

You should be proud. Hopefully she'll do you the favor of keeping it SOME WHAT clean.

Oh and just so you are aware, that link gives people access to ALL your ME galleries. I'm a ME user myself.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks. She was ecstatic. Said it was like a brand new car all over. She said she would keep it cleaner now. We'll have to wait and see about that.

Thanks about the ME galleries. I did know that. I guess I need to clean some of those out.

Thanks

That is one amazing transformation!

A couple of weeks ago I worked on my sisters neglected Mercedes E350, but it was nothing near as bad as this.

I think on this one something more aggressive than the SHR may have created a little less work and hopefully Adams new compound will be a reality soon :xfingers:

It never ceases to amaze me how people treat their vehicles.

I would have done anything for something a little more aggressive. I could have went out and bought a rotary but being inexperienced with it I would have removed all the scratches and the paint. LOL

Hopefully the new stuff will be available before I do my brothers Tundra.

Archived