Customer Service 866.965.0400

Worst Case Scenario!

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

So I wanted to do a worst case scenario car to see what I can do with it. I found the perfect candidate from a girl I work with. A 2000 Honda Civic (Black) with 142k miles DD. It might have been washed 10 times since new. It hasn't been washed or anything in over 2 years.

I think this one is worse than the Junkman's DD.

Since she is a single mom and I wanted the before and after pics I cut her a really good deal.

I only have the car for about 30 hours and I have to sleep. But I'm gonna give it my best shot.

PICS

WARNING!!!! Look at pics at your own risk!!

As you can see I have my work cut out for me. Hope to post after pics late tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks,

Len

MY EYES!! OH GOD MY EYES!!

What has been seen cannot be unseen!! Ahhhhhh... it burns... BUUUUURNS!! :willy:

:jester:

That is rough man... perfect candidate to use to enter the best detail contest!!

Sorry about that. I edited the original post to give warning.

As far as entering for the contest I'll have to see how it turns out.

It's my first detail that's not a relative and it's black and it's BAD!

Good luck Len! I have done one of these for a friend of my son's. She was selling the car before leaving for Cornell, so it was a graduation/going away present. I put much more time into it that is deserved, but I learned a lot!

Any tips on the best way to remove bug guts. This car has some on it old enough to graduate?

Try soaking some thin microfiber towels in the car wash (just a minute or two) then put them on the bugs and let them sit while you do the wheels or interior. This will soften them up so they can be easily wiped off.

Good luck Len! I have done one of these for a friend of my son's. She was selling the car before leaving for Cornell, so it was a graduation/going away present. I put much more time into it that is deserved, but I learned a lot!

Try soaking some thin microfiber towels in the car wash (just a minute or two) then put them on the bugs and let them sit while you do the wheels or interior. This will soften them up so they can be easily wiped off.

I'll try that. Not sure I have enough microfibers to cover the whole front. Lol

For bug guts- waterless wash - soak 'em down directly and wipe, or even use a WW towel (or another small cloth) wetted with WW and lay it on them for a while, then try and see if any of them will wipe off. You will eventually get them off, if only with the clay. Those bugs have probably marred the finish under their little carcasses. when the bugs are reasonable fresh, the come off well with WW. I used this on vacation recently.

3/4 of a gallon of DS will be fine for this small car - glad you have a good amount of clay and DS. Those 2 are going to be doing a lot of work towards getting this one shiny. It's not pretty now, but wait until it's finished -

Whoops, multiple posts on WW and bug guts.

I would not have touched that car because it is going to get that bad again.

Very true. The business I'm going to get out of other people I work with will be well worth it. Oh, they won't get the deal I gave her. I'm only doing it because I need the practice before I actually get some customers with nicer cars. And I like doing this stuff.

I love drastic results and I believe I'm going to get them with this car.

that thing is so nasty you dont need microfiber towels to wet the front end just use some regular towels. what are you gonna do scratch it lol?

You just made me spew coke out. LOL

Actually for the bugs, I did a major no-no. I'm out of WW. Waiting for it to come back around on the daily special. So, I have this sponge type thing (very stiff). It's called a "Bug Brick". Yep, I'm pretty sure I put a few more scratches on it. Nothing any worse than what is already there.

This is going to be interesting. And I bet you get good results -- that car is a mess, but I think you're going to be able to bring it back quite a ways from the brink. Enjoy! :2thumbs:

Thanks. I'm done with the interior except for scrubbing the carpet, a few places on the seats, and windows.

The Leather and Interior Cleaner is AMAZING!!

I'm very impressed with how well the interior came out.

Pics tomorrow.

After 6 hours the car has been:

Foamed

Wheels and Tires and Wheel Wells cleaned

Rinsed

Re-Foamed

Washed

Vacuumed

Interior scrubbed then treated with Leather Conditioner

Stickers removed from windows

Clayed

Tomorrow will be:

Foam

Wash exterior and engine compartment

Blow dry with my back pack blower

Restore the headlights

SHR (probably yellow then orange)

FMP

Revive

SMW or Americana

Clean windows

SVRT Engine and tires

And clean the carpet

I think that'll do it.

After 6 hours the car has been:

Foamed

Wheels and Tires and Wheel Wells cleaned

Rinsed

Re-Foamed

Washed

Vacuumed

Interior scrubbed then treated with Leather Conditioner

Stickers removed from windows

Clayed

Tomorrow will be:

Foam

Wash exterior and engine compartment

Blow dry with my back pack blower

Restore the headlights

SHR (probably yellow then orange)

FMP

Revive

SMW or Americana

Clean windows

SVRT Engine and tires

And clean the carpet

I think that'll do it.

Oh yeah. You'll sleep tomorrow night. :)

Actually for the bugs, I did a major no-no. I'm out of WW. Waiting for it to come back around on the daily special. So, I have this sponge type thing (very stiff). It's called a "Bug Brick". Yep, I'm pretty sure I put a few more scratches on it. Nothing any worse than what is already there.

If you soak that 'brick' for about 10 minutes, it works ok.

Archived